Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Pixmania - be careful

cocoa 5 2
3 Apr 2009 12:23PM
Hi Everyone...

A friendly warning about pixmania online store....

I recently entered into a contract to purchase a lens from pixmania. after 5 days, they deducted the money from my account, and emailed me saying the lens was not in stock.

The website shows the lens as being in stock, but at a higher price than what my contract says.

Calls to pixmania have been a waste of time. they are completely unwilling to assist in any way.

They now have the money and, it seems, the lens, but will not send it out.

It seems from the advise that the office of fair trade has given me, that there is very little if not nothing i can do to force them to honour the agreement.

So be careful using pixmania, you may get burnt like i have been.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
3 Apr 2009 12:34PM
Seems like they haven't cleaned up their acts.
I would never touch them myself.
andart 12 481 United Kingdom
3 Apr 2009 12:36PM
If you search the forums you will find negative feedback on Pixmania going back to 2005.
Look like they havent changed...........
triumphv8 7 451 United Kingdom
3 Apr 2009 1:02PM
Did you buy it on Visa ? - Call your provider and ask about a chargeback for non-delivery.

Doesn't get you the lense, but at least gives you your money back.

Mail Pixmania and advise that unless they give a ship tracking number within 24hrs you will do the chargeback.
cameracat 10 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
3 Apr 2009 3:03PM
Never deal with " Pixmania " end off.

Someone I know ordered a camera from them a while back, They recieved a delivery with an " Empty Box " inside.......Sad

It was the right box for the camera ordered, Now you can imagine the hassle of explaining that one.....Sad And worse still of being accused of telling lies.....!

However what Pixmania did not realise was this, The camera a mid range compact, Was purchased with a view to a bulk purchase for promotional give aways.......Sad

Not only did they screw the order for one unit, They lost a potential deal for 30 units......Sad

Did my contact get thier money back, Yes eventually, But it was hard work and many expensive letters from the legal profession later.....!

So when you are price comparing, You may want to think beyond the price, Think also about " After Sales " think about " Customer Service " Then re-evaluate the seemingly cheaper options....!

If you don't want a lucky dip shop at " Warehouse Express " or the ePHOTOzine Shop " Where customers come first.....Smile

And No I don't work for them, I'm not paid by them, My statement is based on many years of buying from them, Pure and simple.....Smile
agoreira 11 6.0k Wales
3 Apr 2009 3:09PM

Quote:Hi Everyone...

A friendly warning about pixmania online store....

I recently entered into a contract to purchase a lens from pixmania. after 5 days, they deducted the money from my account, and emailed me saying the lens was not in stock.

Much the same happened to me with a camera many years ago, seems not a lot has changed! It took solicitors letter and threat of SCC before I got my money back. Less the conversion rate from to francs, and back again!.
Caveat Emptor.
id_wright 7 36 England
3 Apr 2009 5:06PM
Had the same problems as everyone above, and they're very hard to deal with as they're based in France. When I did eventually get my delivery, it was with a European plug. Was fed up with trying to deal with them by that stage though, so just bought an adaptor!
Cheap prices, but not worth the hassle.
dragarth 10 247 1 Scotland
9 Apr 2009 4:47PM
I did and got a free photoposter from them I think they thought I was going to buy something lol...no chance!!
dragarth 10 247 1 Scotland
9 Apr 2009 4:50PM
one comment on warehouse express I was dissapointed recently when I tried to buy a lens they wanted to charge over 100 more than they advertised it and then told me it was out of stock despite the fact the web said they had it.. Ffords web site was also out of date.
Got it eventually from a small camera shop I know at the other end of the country for the same price!!
daly 10 3
28 Apr 2009 5:51PM
Currently in the middle of trying to get a camera out of them. Ordered it in January, then it went out of stock. It was actually listed as "in stock" on my account for over a week earlier in March, but still no sign of it to be sent before it went "temporarily out of stock" again.
Now I've received an email to say my "refund request is being processed" even though I told them I want the camera, not a refund!

Shysters. I won't go near them again after this.
WalidD300 6 68 1 Scotland
29 Apr 2009 1:35PM
Where are they based, surely they have an office in the UK, if this is the case you can raise small claims action as well as charging them statutory interest of 8%, court fees may apply.

Check this with your local CAB
stolzy 9 3.8k 7
29 Apr 2009 2:11PM
If you paid with a credit card (and you should never pay any other way on the internet) then you're home free. Contact the CC company, tell them you didn't get the goods and they will reimburse you.
daly 10 3
29 Apr 2009 2:24PM

Quote:Where are they based, surely they have an office in the UK, if this is the case you can raise small claims action as well as charging them statutory interest of 8%, court fees may apply.

A bit more difficult in that I ordered from Ireland for delivery to a UK address, so it would be awkward from me to go through a legal action. Besides which they have told me they're refunding me the full amount (as the euro-sterling rate has changed since I was charged) so I won't be out of pocket.

Quote:If you paid with a credit card (and you should never pay any other way on the internet) then you're home free. Contact the CC company, tell them you didn't get the goods and they will reimburse you.

Yep, even when they do refund me I'm calling my credit card company to lodge a complaint, and I've told Pixmania this. The item I've ordered is currently "In stock" on the site, but at a much higher price than when I ordered in January.
Still waiting on an answer on why that's allowed to happen!
guidoa 13 1.3k United Kingdom
29 Apr 2009 2:34PM
They are a French company
ray835 6 149 Wales
29 Apr 2009 11:01PM
nuff said about the froggies !!!!!!!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.