Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Pixmania - be careful

mbharris 6 32 United Kingdom
30 Apr 2009 8:32AM
As stated in a previous posting on a similar discussion about Pixmania, I ended up contacting the Chief Executive of the parent company "Fotovista". This did eventually bring a result.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

daly 10 3
30 Apr 2009 10:30AM
I'm not quite sure what a 'result' is though!

I've been issued a refund, plus a 20 credit for "good faith", and thanked for my "patience and understanding".

But the item I ordered is clearly in stock at a much higher price. If I had the cash I'd actually order it to see if they'd send it when it's paid for at the higher price.

And yes, I only got an actual response when I emailed the "North European Supervisor" and CEO.
jondf 8 2.5k
30 Apr 2009 4:23PM

Quote:Think also about " After Sales " think about " Customer Service "

Think Amazon.
Henners88 5 204 United Kingdom
7 May 2009 11:55AM
I wouldn't touch Pixmania with a barge pole.. I had a bad experince with them about 3 years ago and that was enough to put me off for life.. Plus a friend of mine who worked for Dixons told me that Dixons use pixmania for their Camera stock!! Dixons are quite often cheaper online than most, but there appears to be a catch. Dixons buy their stock in mainland Europe for a cheaper price which allows them to be slightly cheaper in the UK. The only problem is if your Camera develops a fault and you contact Canon UK or Nikon UK for example, you will be told that your european warranty can only be honoured through an office in Germany!! This means you incur extra postage costs, and dealing with a foreign contact. The other alternative is to deal with faults directly through Dixons, but many of us know how much trouble that can be...Sometimes cheaper is not always the best option.
Graywolf 7 965 United Kingdom
8 May 2009 1:06PM
My retailers of choice I think in no particular order are

Kerso
WE
Morris Photographic
Hilton Photographic

All of whom have given me excellent service
agoreira 11 6.0k Wales
8 May 2009 1:18PM

Quote:My retailers of choice I think in no particular order are

Kerso
WE
Morris Photographic
Hilton Photographic

All of whom have given me excellent service

Not used Hilton, but I found WE just OK, the other two, first class.
WalidD300 6 68 1 Scotland
8 May 2009 4:22PM
never heard of Kerso
what is the web
agoreira 11 6.0k Wales
8 May 2009 5:29PM

Quote:Never heard of Kerso
what is the web

He's a guy that sells kit brought in from USA. Got a good reputation, do a search here, he's been mentioned a lot before. Also has an ebay presence , and can be contacted kerso1123@msn.com
colin beeley e2
12 1.1k 10 England
8 May 2009 5:42PM
i don't think that kerso is that cheap any more .
uggyy 9 2.1k 9 Scotland
8 May 2009 5:43PM
Kerso not let me down as of yet.

Most my old camera club buy from him and he got a good rep in general.

I can understand him not being as cheap due to the poor pound rate..
louisebt 5 68 United Kingdom
12 May 2009 2:16PM
Pixmania are a Currys/Dixons company.... I've been 'lucky' with them, we had a washing machine some time ago from them, they 'forgot' to charge us
JackAllTog e2
5 3.7k 58 United Kingdom
29 Mar 2010 4:54PM
Did a google uk search for a 550D, a set of 3 Sponsored Links came up:

550d
www.ebay.co.uk/photography Great deals on digital cameras Feed your passion on eBay.co.uk!

550d: 634.00
www.pixmania.co.uk Eos 500D + 18-55mm Lens In Stock! Buy Now

Canon 550D from 799
www.CalumetPhoto.co.uk/Canon550D Order the New 18MP DSLR Today - Get 50 Voucher and Free Canon Battery!

Wow the 2nd one looked good, but clicking through to Pixmania, the deal now says 705 - they are misleading us? this is not a VAT level difference - its just a untruth as far as i can see. The offered unit is not in stock either.

Thnaks for all the prior comments, seems like thay are a risky company to deal with anyway.
cambirder 10 7.2k England
29 Mar 2010 4:59PM

Quote:they are misleading us? this is not a VAT level difference - its just a untruth as far as i can see. The offered unit is not in stock either.

Actually its Google who do the misleading, those price are often wrong.
Phil1958 5 272 4 Wales
30 Mar 2010 7:31PM
I tend to stick to my local camera shop - Cambrian Photography in Colwyn Bay, they will usually match WE prices. After sales service is 2nd to none and if my gear develops a fault they're just 5 minutes down the road so no postage costs - case in question, recently bought a 2nd hand 400D from them but noticed that the card release switch was a bit wobbly, took it back expecting them to have it for a few days to put it right - wrong! had an immediate replacement body off the 2nd hand shelf. You may pay lower prices on the web but IMO, you don't get better service. Have bought from online retailers such as MPB or Ffordes but only if Cambrian haven't got what I want.
BigRick 9 2.1k 3 United Kingdom
30 Mar 2010 9:55PM
Pixmania is actually part of the same company that owns PC World and others too....

But i have always bought from the place that is the cheapest.... as if it the same item online or in a shop, if it is cheaper then i get it from there.

At the end of the day if it is a Nikon for instance, then it is Nikon that deals with the warranty if you want , not the shop.

Posts keep being reborn latley, this one is from a year ago. Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.