Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Places (shops, malls, museums, restaurants etc;) in the UK where photography is b...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    RJDG14
    RJDG14 New Member
    25 Aug 2014 - 6:29 PM

Can anybody think of any places in the UK with a total ban on photography (as opposed to flash or professional)? I know that many museums do so, but can you name any (so far I can think of Bourton Model Railway and a few others - that being the one which springs to mind)? Also, which British shops and shopping malls have an official ban on photos, even if not enforced? If you give the places you know of, please exclude customs check areas, but rather give examples of museums, shops and malls with such a policy...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    25 Aug 2014 - 6:29 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KarenFB
    KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84277 forum postsKarenFB vcard England163 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Aug 2014 - 7:08 PM

National Trust properties in Devon!...............I now some NT properties allow photography (with no flash), but every time I've asked I've been frowned at and told "No!".

Welcome to EPZ! Smile...............Just out of interest, why do you ask? Smile

Last Modified By KarenFB at 25 Aug 2014 - 7:10 PM
    gwynn56
    gwynn56  264 forum posts England
    25 Aug 2014 - 7:15 PM

not sure but think meadowhall in sheffield not like people taking photos

hobbo
    hobbo e2 Member 3796 forum postshobbo vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Aug 2014 - 7:25 PM

Last year I was accompanied out of the West Orchards shopping Centre in Coventry by a pair of stab vested be-capped Security Guards.......Why? .....After I had been Visiting Coventry City Centre since being a tiny wartime bratt.....my late mum and her family haled from Spon End, the heart of the Medieval quarter.
    Not only that, since I took up photography on retirement over ten years ago, I have walked around the whole of the City Centre wearing and using a variety of cameras, with no problems whatsoever.

My crime on that fateful day?

I had just purchased used Panasonic GF1 with the 14-45 kit lens from the Coventry branch of CEX for 150, I was mighty pleased. I was happily testing to see what it could do, and to familiarise myself with the controls.

My favourite genre is Street Photography, so I was happily clicking away .....a harmless old codger of 75 enjoying his favourite pastime, that is when I became aware of two uniformed guys each side of me, requesting that I switch off my camera and leave the centre ( there are NO signs forbidding photography) ........ I remostrated angrily drawing quite a crowd ( my missus did a bunkWink .....I stood my ground......mentioned what the nazis did to Coventry and that members of my family helped to defend it at the time, and of my Coventry origins.....all to no avail.

I asked why I couldnt use my canera...the reply?......" Because it has a big lens and looks "Professional"... ...."I was a threat to security"....They said.......all around were folks taking pics on mobiles and with point and shoots..

So bloody angry was I that I havent been back, and dont really want to......I received no reply to the two letters I sent in protest.

I am thinking of returning with a similar camera to my old GF1 .....my....new GX7 ......this time it will be fitted with the 20-1.7 Pancake lens so will look like a Point and Shoot.....my 42 mp Nokia 1020 mobile phone camera will be in another pocket.

Hobbo

Last Modified By hobbo at 25 Aug 2014 - 7:29 PM
    sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82324 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Aug 2014 - 7:59 PM

Hobbo and the Taliban - sounds like it should be a book title WinkWinkWink

icphoto
    icphoto  131422 forum posts England
    26 Aug 2014 - 11:11 AM

Hobo, stand your ground! You are doing nothing wrong, let them call the cops', then again stand your ground. Public places are just that - public places. You can do what you want. Just make sure that you are 110% right that it IS a public place before you tell them what for!

mikehit
    mikehit  56454 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Aug 2014 - 12:02 PM

Quote: Just make sure that you are 110% right that it IS a public place before you tell them what for!

If it is the covered area then it will not be a 'public area' and they are entitled to stop you taking photographs - even if they have signs saying 'no photography' it is not a prohibition and they still have to ask you to stop. The twice it has happened to me (in Manchester Arndale and in Bristol) they have used the excuse along the lines of 'some of the public may not like it'. Which is fair enough, but a bit weak as a reason.

hobbo
    hobbo e2 Member 3796 forum postshobbo vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Aug 2014 - 2:14 PM

As an addendum to my bit of a rant above......not long afterwards I visited the Touchwood Shopping Centre in Solihull, on a trip out with a mate who was negotiating to buy a TV from the John Lewis Store there.

I had an hour to kill, but couldn't do my planned walk about outside, because it was hissing down......in the light of my Coventry experience, I decided to request permission to take pics at one of the security points.

To my surprise, and after some checking with management, permission was granted with one proviso......this was, that I was forbidden to photograph the store fronts.

This struck me as very strange, because if I were on a public High Street I could photograph any store front I wanted to.
    I managed to capture a set of excellent shots of the interesting roof construction and general architecture.

Back to my Coventry argy bargy.......The question I ask is...... just what harm is a 75 plus old fogey is going to do with a camera, just because stores are under a roof?

Especially when no one, takes a blind bit of notice of anyone shooting pics on mobile phones and point and shoot cameras in the Centre.......my Nokia 1020 42 mp mobile camera would almost certainly be ignored.....but a camera with a lens sticking out is taboo........makes no sense whatsoever?

If I with my camera, might approach or upset a shopper.......what about the sales personel on those temporary stalls selling everything from Law advice to Double Glazing......never mind the charity Chuggers.

The other thing is, the Stores and Eateries in those centres are quite happy to part me from my money.......the profits from which pay the security company......profit fom my soending which might be considerable.

The Coventry City Centre Store that sold me the offending camera, will lose out now, because I probably wont be going back............So its Stratford Upon Avon, Leamington or Warwick for me now......Coventry can stick its shops.

Hobbo

Jestertheclown
    26 Aug 2014 - 2:28 PM

I was once asked to stop taking stop taking photographs from the roof top car park at the Arndale Centre in Luton.
    The security guard that they sent up tom speak to me couldn't have been more pleasant or polite. He explained that I'd been picked up by the guys in the CCTV room.
    He also said that if I'd like to continue, or if I wanted to photograph from there in the future, all I had to do was to ask for permission, which would be granted automatically, at a customer service desk somewhere inside.
    There was no bullying or intimidation on his part and no shouting about public places or the waving of those soppy little cards that we were all being prompted to carry about a while ago on mine.
    It was all very amenable and we parted with a smile and a handshake.

thewilliam
    26 Aug 2014 - 3:02 PM

On private ground, the owners can make and enforce any rules they want to. Our choice is whether to enter or remain.

Dave_Canon
    26 Aug 2014 - 6:56 PM

Last November we had a Camera Club Night Photography shoot around the town. We attracted a lot of interest by both the public and security officers but no one suggested that we could not take photographs in these public places. The fact that there were 16 of us may have also had an effect. In the latter phase we split into smaller Groups and we took photographs in a covered area called the The Brewery. We had more or less taken everything we wanted after 10 mins when a security officer approached us and asked us to stop photographing. Though one member did try to argue it was a public place, this was not accepted and I knew that the area was private and they had every right to ask us to stop. We then asked if we could apply in advance permission and was told that there would be a good chance but only the daytime manager could decide that. We then left on friendly terms as the security officer was friendly and polite and certainly did not suggest that we deleted any shots.

When we returned to our starting point, a security officer from a nearby restaurant came over to try to find out why we were there (very politely). Customers in the restaurant were speculating that there was a famous person in town and we were the paparazzi. The truth was not so exciting.

Dave

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.