Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Playing with bits...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    cheddar-caveman
    18 Jan 2013 - 3:50 PM

I have just taken a picture in the snow of a farmer feeding his sheep from a tractor. The farmer is wearing a yellow flourescent coat and the tractor is red. I thought it would look rather nice as a B&W picture with just the farmer and tractor in colour. Is there some way of doing this in LR some other image adjustment program?
    2-sheep.jpg

Last Modified By cheddar-caveman at 18 Jan 2013 - 3:55 PM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    18 Jan 2013 - 3:50 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

LindaD3x
    LindaD3x  9197 forum posts United Kingdom
    18 Jan 2013 - 3:56 PM

Sorry for acting thick but don't know what LR is? I'd use the lasso tool in photoshop to very carefully pick out the farmer and tractor, create a layer of them and using channel mixer at red 20 green 60 and blue 10 in monochrome remove the colour of the background with that method. The blacks will be black and your whites lovely and white with a nice range of greys.

Lovely photo Smile

Sooty_1
    Sooty_1 Critique Team 41195 forum posts United Kingdom196 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Jan 2013 - 4:00 PM

Photoshop or such that has layers.

Duplicate the layer, make it black and white, and use the eraser on the new (b+w) layer to rub out the black and white part you want to allow the colour to show through. Do it carefully at high magnification and you will see the coat and tractor show through. When happy, flatten the image.

I'm sure there are tutorials on here if you search for 'selective colour' or 'colour popping'.

Nick

whipspeed
    whipspeed e2 Member 104040 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Jan 2013 - 4:01 PM

I'm not a big fan of selective colour, but all you'd need to do is convert to mono & then use the history brush to bring back the colour where you want it. I'd also lighten the shot as it's a bit dark & rotate a bit to the left to straighten it to finish it off.

blastedkane
    18 Jan 2013 - 4:04 PM

1-1-sheep.jpg

hI,

As you can see this is possible. This was a quick edit done in LR4.

First you need to correct the white balance to take away the inevitable snow colour cast.

ONce the WB is correct then you can use the HSL sliders to remove all of the colours except for Red and Yellow. The only potential issue is that the sheep and the trees have a little of these colours and so to remove the colour from them I just used an adjustment brush with 0 saturation and drew over them.

I also played with the contrast a little as I prefer contrasty images and also added a slight vignette.

Hope that is clear. Also you could be a lot more accurate and creative with both the original file and spending a little more time and care.

BEVZED
    BEVZED e2 Member 71140 forum postsBEVZED vcard United Kingdom
    18 Jan 2013 - 4:07 PM

'popping' is quite good fun - had a play many a time but can never remember how to do what in which program, that link should (IF I got it right!) give some ideas as well as the above. Smile

cats_123
    cats_123 e2 Member 104009 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Jan 2013 - 4:08 PM

Quote: First you need to correct the white balance to take away the inevitable snow colour cast.

ONce the WB is correct then you can use the HSL sliders to remove all of the colours except for Red and Yellow. The only potential issue is that the sheep and the trees have a little of these colours and so to remove the colour from them I just used an adjustment brush with 0 saturation and drew over them

Something else I've learned about LR GrinGrin

If I'm doing colour popping I tend to use pixlr - duplicate a layer, desaturate and then paint back teh colour areas with the eraser Smile

2-sheep.jpghad a little play as a bove, and then auto tone, punch & colour sliders in LR Smile

Last Modified By cats_123 at 18 Jan 2013 - 4:15 PM
    Sooty_1
    Sooty_1 Critique Team 41195 forum posts United Kingdom196 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Jan 2013 - 4:10 PM

untitled-1.jpg

tried one, but the colours in the picture aren't really strong enough to carry it off, from this small version.

Nick

cheddar-caveman
    18 Jan 2013 - 4:11 PM

Thanks guys for the speedy response. I'll get into LR and have a play!Smile

blastedkane
    18 Jan 2013 - 4:17 PM

There are a million and one ways to do the effect. I used to use photoshop but I love the HSL sliders in LightRoom. However this is all easy incomparison to how i used to do it. I still remember using photoinks to paint colours on to a monochrome print to get the effect. Infact I was having a clearout the otherday and came across them.

img-2110.jpg

Don't know if they still work....

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96283 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Jan 2013 - 4:25 PM

Firstly I would " process " the Basic Tone controls to get the overall exposure, contrast etc.

Then possibly the easiest way of doing this " colour popping " in Lightroom ( LR ) is to use the adjustment brush to mask the whole image then use the erase brush over the farmer & tractor.

Then set saturation to -100, perhaps darken the shadow, increase contrast.

Close adjustment brush.

Boost vibrancy & saturation which will now only affect the farmer & tractor with then perhaps some TAT adjustments of the red & yellow in the HSL panel

User_Removed
    18 Jan 2013 - 8:06 PM

Very interesting how many tasteful possibilities that one image provides.

I am not a great fan of "colour popping" but if I did want to do what the OP requests, I would edit in Lightroom and SilverEfexPro2 using the "retain certain colours" option.

If I only had LR, I would try selectively desaturating each of the colour channels until I got close to what I wanted and then run the local adjustment brush, with max desaturation, over all of the areas of the image that had no deliberately "popped" colour in them. Progressively use "new" brushes of ever-decreasing size, to accurately6 achieve the desired result.

Jestertheclown
    18 Jan 2013 - 8:40 PM

I've never done this using Lightroom, in fact I don't like the effect anyway but a thought occurs to me.
    When using layers and brushes to do the de-saturating (or the other way around) using CS, it's possible to correct any errors, going over the edge etc., by switching the brush to the foreground/background colour.
    In fact that's about the only way to paint into tight corners. I
    It's also the reason that using the history brush isn't really a good idea; although it will work after a fashion, you'll have no redress should you mess up.
    So!
    My thought was: can you make these corrections etc. using Lightroom?

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96283 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Jan 2013 - 8:51 PM

Quote: My thought was: can you make these corrections etc. using Lightroom?

Yes.
    You just switch the brush to erase.

In fact one of the tricks in LR is to deliberately go over the edge of the area you want as it is easier to erase the unwanted bits with Auto Mask switched on

Jestertheclown
    18 Jan 2013 - 9:12 PM

Quote: deliberately go over the edge of the area you want as it is easier to erase the unwanted bits

Thanks Jeff, that's just what I meant.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 18 Jan 2013 - 9:13 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.