Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Please critique

Quote: Hi there.

I recently started a website, my first other than a Blogger blog site that I no longer use.

I was wondering if those of you with more experience than me, probably everyone, would have a look and give me feedback. I am particularly interested in any SEO tips/advice where possible.

Im looking for comments re how the site looks, reads and content, perhaps photo critique can be left for a more suitable area of the forum?

Many thanks in advance.

Andy.

www.andykeeblephotography.com

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

24 Sep 2012 4:38PM
Not bad at all, my main crit would be that on the front page your "About me" sect at the bottom is written in the third person & reads a little like a police report (I have 20yrs experience). I would personalise it a little & make it less formal sounding, write in the first person so the reader feels as if you're talking to them. Hope this helps, good luck.

Stu.
24 Sep 2012 5:12PM
My only gripe is that the header vanishes when you go to another page, and the text menu colour/position change, be nice to have your website title on every page, with the header elements in the same position with same font colours, as well as margins which align to every page, minor gripes but ones easily solved.

As for SEO aspects, your meta data is a bit messy, and will probably be rejected by most search engines, there are no keyword tags, and your description is far to long, keep it to 20 words maximum, currently you have...

content="This web site was created to showcase digital images of Leicestershire and other, select counies in the United Kingdom.

All images wer captured using Canon digital camera's and also includes digital images captured and edited on an Apple iPhone 4.

Images captured on the Canon equipment were edited using both Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 and Photomatix Pro 4.1
."

You dont need half of whats there, and most importantly, your website name is not there, so it may be completely missed by google and its friends. You really need to add keywords to your metadata in the header section, again, limited to about 20 words. Also, keep an eye on spelling, you have 2 spelling mistakes in the above sentences i highlighted.

Never used zenfolio so not sure how they go about things SEO wise, but to get the site noticed in google etc, you will need to submit a sitemap to google webmasters tools, your sitemap address is http://www.andykeeblephotography.com/sitemap.xml i think they are automatically created and updated by your host, so every time you update the site, resubmit it to google and hopefully you will appear in all relevant search results.

Cant wait to see your Leicestershire church project when its done Smile
24 Sep 2012 5:59PM
If you are trying to project the image of a serious photographer, I would keep quiet about the I-phone 4. By all means talk about plate cameras and medium format, but all this talk about Apples gives me the pip!
Sooty_1 e2
4 1.3k 203 United Kingdom
24 Sep 2012 8:46PM
I have a few points....
As above, by all means have an iPhone gallery, but don't quote it as one of your main bits of kit, and certainly don't mention it on the front page.
Don't have your "about me" and contact details on the front page...keep it all for the " About" page you already have.
Keep the front page cleaner...a short intro, a picture and the menus is all you need, and sell yourself: make your title bigger and more impactful, then repeat it smaller on each page.
I would not have the title page photo change so quickly..the Lake District ones are too similar, and I kept wondering if it was the same picture. Which brings me to....
Some of the pictures are very similar, particularly the Lake District ones. Choose the few best and cull the rest, you have to maintain the interest and too many samey images is boring.
Just a small crit of the photos..the HDR is way OTT in some images, be careful to only use the best (and most believable), some of the tone mapping looks awful IMHO.

I'd stick with something simple, like, "Welcome to the website of Andy Keeble. This website was created to showcase my images of Leicestershire and other places nationwide/worldwide. I hope you enjoy viewing my photography as much as I enjoy creating it.
All my images are for sale, although copyright remains with the photographer and no unauthorised usage is permitted.

Please feel free to contact me."

Or something. You can go into more detail about yourself on your 'About' page, if you so desire.

Just my 2p worth.

Nick
24 Sep 2012 10:31PM
Thank you all for the comments, I will certainly look at the front page re metadata etc.

I have learnt so much since setting the site up and, whilst my grasp of keywords is pretty good, I'm still struggling to get my head around some of the other SEO workings.

Are there any good articles to read re metadata?, perhaps someone could provide me with a link or 2?

Keep the suggestions coming if you can spare the time.

Andy

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.