Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Please excuse me if I show off my communication skills and in-depth knowledge of IT & computing ..................... publicly

Cephus 10 2.1k England
5 Feb 2012 7:42PM
I have just installed Photoshop 8 CS on a laptop with windows 7 platform.
When I attempt to load or save a file I get the same result i.e.

"Cannot complete your request because the disc is full"

Can anyone please help?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

robthecamman 3 1.3k United Kingdom
5 Feb 2012 8:03PM
how much free space have you i guess on disc
Cephus 10 2.1k England
5 Feb 2012 8:09PM

Quote:How much free space have you i guess on disc

242 Gb of free space.
StuartAt e2
9 1.0k 6 England
5 Feb 2012 8:17PM
Are you using a separate disk as the 'scratch disk' - if so, has that got plenty of space on it?
Cephus 10 2.1k England
5 Feb 2012 8:24PM

Quote:Are you using a separate disk as the 'scratch disk' - if so, has that got plenty of space on it?

No I'm only using the disc in the laptop. The message does not mention "scratch disc" just "disc".
mikehit e2
5 6.8k 11 United Kingdom
5 Feb 2012 8:38PM
Each program has some space allocated to it, have you tried increasing the amount of memory (Disc and/or RAM) assigned to CS?
5 Feb 2012 8:38PM
i didn't think anything below cs 2 would run on windows 7. that aside it sounds like your cs is trying to save to the disk from which it was installed - or you/it have created a virtual disk somehow.
Jestertheclown 6 6.4k 241 England
5 Feb 2012 8:47PM
Do you mean that that PS is successfully installed?

What do you mean exactly when you say that you go to "load or save" a file?

Where are you loading or saving it from and to?
Cephus 10 2.1k England
5 Feb 2012 9:09PM
I can start PS in the normal way and the prog will run.

I can create a new file using File-New and a document opens.

I can put text on the page with text using the text facility.

When I try to save the page I am unable to because the file is locked.

If I try to load an existing picture into PS I cant because I'm told "the disc is full"

I am trying to save the doc to my pictures file on my C drive and trying to load a picture from the same place.
5 Feb 2012 9:38PM
I've just tried doing everything you describe there and it all works. Admittedly, I'm using CS5 but in theory, it should be the same.
I had wondered whether or not you had rasterised the type and flattened the layers but I managed to save it either way. Opening an image worked as normal, as I'd expect it to.
I have to wonder if Jack's right when he says that he reckons that there's a compatability problem between your Photoshop 8 CS (I'm not really sure what that is) and Windows 7. It is looking likely.
Cephus 10 2.1k England
5 Feb 2012 9:48PM
OK guys thanks for your interest I'll just have to get used to paintshop SadSad
5 Feb 2012 9:56PM
I've never used Paintshop but I've just looked up your photoshop 8 CS and to be honest, it's so old that there's quite probably a free editor out there that would be a match for it.
Sabreur 9 767 England
5 Feb 2012 10:04PM
Where on c: are you trying to save the file? CS won't be aware of the areas that Windows 7 protects, and a disk full message might actually mean 'you don't have permission to save'.

You could try running CS as an administrator, and see if that changes anything.
Cephus 10 2.1k England
5 Feb 2012 11:36PM

Quote:Where on c: are you trying to save the file? CS won't be aware of the areas that Windows 7 protects, and a disk full message might actually mean 'you don't have permission to save'.

You could try running CS as an administrator, and see if that changes anything.

I do have an admin account, however I created another admin account in a different name and so far all is working OK so I'll stick to using the new account.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.