Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PLEASE HELP - OMD EM10 - Big problem with incorrect colour.

mjyule 1
14 Jul 2014 7:57PM
When I use any of the manual modes, the colour just isn't quite right, there's always a slightly orange tint to it and the photos look a bit flat, the highlights are lost and the blacks just aren't deep at all. I have tried all the various colour settings, 'vivid', 'natural' 'i-enhance' etc and nothing seems to help. When using any of the scene modes or auto, the colour is much better. I'm sure there's probably something very obvious that I'm missing, but I just can't seem to fix it. Users on another group suggested making sure WB is set to auto, which it was, and recommended turning off the 'keep warm colours' setting which I have done to no avail. I've also just updated the firmware, just in case that had anything to do with it, which also made no difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated because currently this issue makes all the M/S/A/P modes unusable.

Here are some examples to show the problem:

Very unnatural colours all round- [https://www.flickr.com/photos/scifilofivol7/14673813653/]

Orange hue to skin tone - [https://www.flickr.com/photos/scifilofivol7/14467289548/]

This is through my window using iAUTO mode
- [https://www.flickr.com/photos/scifilofivol7/14467579190/]

and this is from the same position, immediately afterwards, using autofocus but on full manual having copied every single setting i could find precisely as the camera chose in the previous photo. somehow the colour is just completely wrong. - [https://www.flickr.com/photos/scifilofivol7/14653860152/]

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
14 Jul 2014 8:14PM
Is your monitor calibrated.
mjyule 1
14 Jul 2014 9:09PM
Yes, and even if it weren't, there's still the fact that there are wild differences in the colour of photos taken in any of the auto modes compared to manual modes. So monitor calibration is most certainly not the issue here. Thanks for the suggestion though
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
14 Jul 2014 9:26PM
If shooting jpeg you will normally find the colors pretty muted to start with, the idea here is that you adjust the colors, satuation etc to your own liking.
indemnity 6 331
15 Jul 2014 11:13AM
I can't find the image links. Anyway, simple really reset camera to default, set white balance to daylight and take an outdoor shot out of direct sunlight, see how it looks. Auto white balance is a guestimate.
joshwa e2
4 605 United Kingdom
15 Jul 2014 11:37AM
None of the links you've provided work, you could upload them into this forum to show us which photos you mean, thanks
dark_lord e2
10 1.5k 141 England
15 Jul 2014 11:37AM
You can post images to the forum posts, using the 'Add Image' button at the top of the 'Add a Comment' box.
22 Sep 2014 3:39PM
always shoot raw
consistant color shifts can be corrected in the menu (at least with EM5) - perhaps someone set it to funny values on your camera?
color setting i.enhance is over-agressive sometimes

Olympus has some rather sophisticated algorithms to enhance the colors. This is not to the liking of everybody.
You can get rid of it altogether using some other raw converter (eg Adobe RAW) but in my eyes the jpg out of camera is almost always better than the automated outcome of Adobe RAW - which needs quite some tweaking to come even near...
StrayCat e2
10 15.0k 2 Canada
22 Sep 2014 10:52PM
In any of the auto modes on your camera, and mine (E-M5), many settings are changed; you give up control of your image to the camera's operating system. If the E-M10 is anything like the M5, auto white balance works in any normal situation. You will run into problems if doing indoor photography with a number of different light sources, eg: fluorescent, incandescent and flash all at once, but try setting your mode dial to Aperture Priority, and white balance to auto, then meter off of a neutral colour, any colour; the image should be fine. You will have to make adjustments in your editing software, that's normal for any camera's images. For the life of me, I can't understand why one would want to use full manual on today's cameras. I have a suggestion for you; don't use the auto modes anymore, each time you select one, the camera settings are changed, and in some cases, I think, they stay changed. I have never had to use anything but auto white balance with the M5, and even if there is a bit of off-colour, it's a piece of cake to correct in software.

PS: I have tried other settings for colour, but Natural works fine for me.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.