Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Please help me!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

User_Removed
16 Aug 2010 - 11:03 PM

I've done something really silly and I hope someone here can advise me what to do.
My mother is due back off holiday next week and she left me one of her lenses for me to have a go with. While I was taking some pictures in a field, I droped the lense in the mud and although I've tried to clean it, it sounds a little crunchy when I twist the focus bit.
Anyone advise me how to clean it?
Thank you.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 16 Aug 2010 - 11:04 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Aug 2010 - 11:03 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Fishnet
Fishnet  104976 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
16 Aug 2010 - 11:10 PM

If you were my child I'd put you up for adoption.

No idea how to clean it, sorry.

PaulSR
PaulSR  9511 forum posts England
16 Aug 2010 - 11:26 PM

the dry mud is making the crunch sound. keep twisting it continually, the mud will grind down to a fine powder and should fall out. its worth a try

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
16 Aug 2010 - 11:50 PM

Is it an expensive lens....?

For a proper strip down and clean, Give this company a call and ask them if they can do a very quick job.

If you are anywhere near them you could call in, Or just explain whats happened, Pray on their softer side.

Not sure twisting the mud to a powder is such a good idea, It may get into the lens and make things a lot worse.

If its a cheap lens, Just shop around and buy her a new one, Its the only kind thing to do.

Wink

User_Removed
17 Aug 2010 - 7:11 AM

It's Canon 70-200 lense. A neighbour of ours is a school caretaker and he said he would take it apart and have a look at it?
I'm not sure he'll be able to fix the crunching. What do you think? Shall I let him have a go?
I think a repair company might be expensive.
I've got about a week.

Warriorpoet
17 Aug 2010 - 7:24 AM

Depending on which 70-200 lens it may be worth as little as 500 or possibly as much as 2,000. Personally I wouldn't let anyone other than a bonafide repair centre near it were it me (and that would have included any offspring). Also if your mother has a warranty or insurance on the lens you would no doubt invalidate it by any DIY efforts.

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104040 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
17 Aug 2010 - 7:37 AM

Confess to your Mum. She may be covered by house or camera insurance, but don't let a next door neighbour have a go, he could make it so much worse. Does the lens still work, or is it just mud? You can phone a Canon repair centre & ask for a quote.
Mind you, if you were mine, I'm with Anna, you'd be up for adoption Wink

Dave B
Dave B  12113 forum posts United Kingdom
17 Aug 2010 - 7:46 AM

Don't let a school caretaker anywhere near the lens unless they are a skilled lens technical from a previous *very recent* employment. It would be a bit like letting 'Uncle Fred' who 'knows a bit about cars' tinker with a Mazarati.

Is this lens fairly new? Is the colour of the body white? Is it an EF mount lens?

AFAIK, the only 70-200 currently available at the moment (new) in are from the L series. They are coloured white and they run in at approximately:
70-200 f24 L = 500
70-200 f4 L IS = 950
70-200 f2.8 L = 1000
70-200 f2.8 L IS = 1900
*source - Bristol Cameras

If its an L series lens then you are talking about a very expensive piece of precision engineering and taking it to a reputable cleaning service company (or sending it to Canon) is the only way ahead (e.g. cameracats link above)

If the body is black and/or the lens is very old then the value of the lens will be much less. What camera were you using at the time (this will determine if its a modern EF mount or the old FD mount). IIRC there was a 70-210mm FD lens and a 75-200mm FD lens from Canon however Im not sure about a 70-200mm FD

Dont panic .. the lens is likely to be be very saveable .. you just may need to own up to the accident and offer to pay for the cleaning job.

Good luck, Dave B.

justin c
justin c  104527 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
17 Aug 2010 - 7:59 AM

I wouldn't attempt to clean it yourself internally, other than a good wipe over on the outside and I definitely wouldn't let someone take it apart. I'd either explain to your mother what's happened and offer to pay for a professional clean and service or just get it done anyway before her return.

Last Modified By justin c at 17 Aug 2010 - 8:01 AM
sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82325 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
17 Aug 2010 - 10:50 AM

Adoption agencies... just give the link to your mum. WinkWinkWink

In no circumstances let your neighbour any where near this - if it is insured (likely to be covered under the house contents insurance) then the policy will be worthless if someone has had tampered with the lens.

I think others have given the best advice - especially Justin C. Add to that a big bunch of flowers and some serious creeping...

Adam

MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93501 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
17 Aug 2010 - 11:43 AM

Alison....other than the flowers and the house spotless, don't do anything 'till your mother get's home, she may be more understanding than you think.
If this is the daftest thing you ever do you'll be one lucky lady.....do not compound the mishap.
....there is nothing wasted by waiting.
good luck.....Mike

collywobles
17 Aug 2010 - 4:12 PM

Dont do anything, just do what my kids did just leave it until your Mum says "Hey I think there's something wrong with my lens" and when she asks do you know anything about it -- just deny it! Always worked for my kids.......................................................... !

Last Modified By collywobles at 17 Aug 2010 - 4:12 PM
66tricky
66tricky  7742 forum posts Scotland
17 Aug 2010 - 5:46 PM

Quote: It's Canon 70-200 lense. A neighbour of ours is a school caretaker and he said he would take it apart and have a look at it?

Lol.. He'll do the standard school caretaker fix: pile some sawdust on it from a galvanised bucket. Wink

I have repaired a few lenses in the past, manual focus ones before autofocus came out. The can be straight forward or a nightmare. I woudln't let the school jannie have a go if it was mine.

User_Removed
17 Aug 2010 - 7:52 PM

Great news everyone!

My neighbour brought the lense back to me this evening, all cleaned and working perfectly!
He's had it all day and done a great job. No crunching and no dirt.
The only problem he said was that the 'Passed' label was cleaned off?
Not sure what he meant but maybe someone could explain what 'Passed' label is and does it effect the lense working?
It looks just like it did before I dropped it.

stevie
stevie e2 Member 101198 forum postsstevie vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
17 Aug 2010 - 8:02 PM

Quote: Not sure what he meant but maybe someone could explain what 'Passed' label is and does it effect the lense working?

It's a little oval gold and black sticker that is stuck on the lens barrel that says - funnily enough - 'passed' on it. I thought they'd stopped using those years ago, actually.
Its loss won't change the way the lens works. Except your mum's bound to notice. You'll simply have to confess now........Wink

PS could you post some shots from inside the orphanage after you're put up for adoption?

Last Modified By stevie at 17 Aug 2010 - 8:08 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.