Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Please help me choose

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

ladysue
ladysue  5 United Kingdom
26 May 2009 - 10:42 PM

I am looking to buy my first DSLR, (though I'm old enough to have used an SLR that took film). I went and looked at some DSLR's and found most too heavy as I am disabled and have arthritis in my hands. There were 2 in the shop that I held and could probably manage, a Nikon D60 and an Olympus 520.

I have looked online at their specs and reviews but I dont understand all the technical terms. One of the things that is important for me is that there is something that compensates for hands shaking a but sometimes. The other is that I read something about the Nikon not having automatic AF and you would have to do it manually ( sorry this is probably not exactly what it said0. Can anyone explain and help me choose which camera would be best for me. Oh and I wont be able to buy any other lenses for a while so I need one with an Ok kit lens supplied.Thanks Sue

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 May 2009 - 10:42 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
26 May 2009 - 10:46 PM

Hi Sue, I recently had a student turn up with an Olympus E-410 and I was quite impressed with both its capabilities and its lightweight compactness. The lens wasn't brilliant but that can be corrected.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
ladysue
26 May 2009 - 11:23 PM

Thanks Chris.
I am not sure if the 400 range has image stabilisation. I will try to check that out
Sue

strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
26 May 2009 - 11:25 PM

Sue, if your hands are a bit shaky, then Image stabilisation is what you want, though Nikon call it vibration reduction. I cannot think of a digital SLR out there that will not autofocus, so I think you have duff data there.

Have you thought about contacting the disabled photographers society I have met a couple of their members and they may be able to offer good advice.

If weight is your concern, then yes the Olympus range could help. But you may be better off with a bridge camera or a compact like Canon's G10. SLRs tend to be a bit heavy.

Have you thought of Panasonics G1, it can change lenses, and is smaller and lighter. It can also take the Olympus 4/3 lenses.

rowarrior
rowarrior  64350 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
26 May 2009 - 11:40 PM

John I think the D60 is one of the Nikon's that doesn't have AF built into the body so only takes certain lenses that will autofocus

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315463 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
26 May 2009 - 11:51 PM

The 520`S ok and now pretty cheap, the supplied kit lenses are pretty good as they go.

Have you seen the new 620 with the tilting screen ?

The G1`s Ok but I`m just guessing you might find it a little too small and fiddly, something to think about with your hands.

As for the IS, I found it works extremely well.

ladysue
27 May 2009 - 12:20 AM

Thank you all for your comments. I have looked at the G10. It didnt appear, as far as I could see in the shop, to have much more flexibility than my Canon point and shoot. I really want an SLR as I want to be able to choose settings more than I can with my point and shoot ( for example it was windy today and the flowers I wanted to photograph were blowing around but I couldnt choose a fast shutter speed).

The Olympys 620 is out of my price range ( around 400) unfortunately. I will look at the panasonic G1.

I am aware of the DPS. I may contact them soon but I think they are having some problems at the moment.

Do you need to have autofocus? Or is it easy to focus manually? Does anyone know how good the Nikon kit lens is please?
Thank you
Sue

strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
27 May 2009 - 12:28 AM

To add detail, the Nikon will autofocus the correct lenses, and it will focus the kit lenses.

I am not aware of any problems with the DPS. Seriously talk to them 1st, as they may also have modifications for cameras to make them easier to use. If you get no reply let me know tomorrow and I will call one of them I know.

Do you need auto focus, well it depends, sometimes is my answer. For things that move it is handy. But I often manual focus.

and you forgot to mention the 1000D and 450D from Canon, they come with an IS kit lens. And lets not forget Sony and Pentax.

In general kit lenses are of a uniform standard, they will not be the best, but they are generally better than what you get in compact cameras. And again before we can discuss technical features, we ought to know what you want to do.

The G10 has a range of manual features, so you can directly control the lens and shutter. To my knowledge it is just as controllable as an SLR.

Last Modified By strawman at 27 May 2009 - 12:29 AM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
cliffez
cliffez  5139 forum posts
27 May 2009 - 7:12 AM

Quote: I am looking to buy my first DSLR, (though I'm old enough to have used an SLR that took film). I went and looked at some DSLR's and found most too heavy as I am disabled and have arthritis in my hands. There were 2 in the shop that I held and could probably manage, a Nikon D60 and an Olympus 520.

I have looked online at their specs and reviews but I dont understand all the technical terms. One of the things that is important for me is that there is something that compensates for hands shaking a but sometimes. The other is that I read something about the Nikon not having automatic AF and you would have to do it manually ( sorry this is probably not exactly what it said0. Can anyone explain and help me choose which camera would be best for me. Oh and I wont be able to buy any other lenses for a while so I need one with an Ok kit lens supplied.Thanks Sue

I would not normaly get involved in 'which camera' advise, to many far more experienced (experts) on here. However, I have just looked up a review her on the Olympus 520:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/digital-cameras/review/2008/07/01/Olympus-E-520/p1

Very good non technical write up with mention of the 'on board IS', 'Image Stabilisation' within the body, I would have thought a definite plus in the circumstances, few entry level cameras carry this feature? Normally extra with more expensive and heavy lenses!

The review also mentions the lens quality as 'good', I like the live view facility, again not often seen at this level in DSLR's, and some nice compensation features as well. All going to make a very usable camera for someone with the problem described.

Personally, the Olympus looks like it ticks all the boxes, and me a Nikon man . . . lol

Enjoy your new camera 'Ladysue'.

Cliffez

Last Modified By cliffez at 27 May 2009 - 7:16 AM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Henners88
Henners88  5204 forum posts United Kingdom
27 May 2009 - 10:31 AM

Hi Sue, my Canon EOS 1000D is very light indeed.. Possibly the lightest I have held, and this can be bought with an 18-55mm Image Stabilisation lens... Some of the Sony's are light also but they tend to be on the big side...

Good luck anyway

Henry Smile

camay
camay  7120 forum posts Scotland3 Constructive Critique Points
27 May 2009 - 1:50 PM

Dixons tax free shops at the UK airports are selling the Panasonic G1 for 375, if you could find someone going on holiday .... I know someone else who changed from Olympus to the G1 because of arthritis, very happy with the new purchase.
Lynne

gaelldew
gaelldew  7272 forum posts United Kingdom
27 May 2009 - 2:32 PM

I'm somewhat as you are Sue arthritic and I've found the Nikon VR helps me certainly with my D80.

ladysue
27 May 2009 - 4:09 PM

Thank you to everyone for your advice. I have been overwhelmed by the kindness on here. I am not rushing into this so I will look at all the options you have suggested and try a few more in the shops before buying.
Sue

nhearle
nhearle  6 Wales
28 May 2009 - 6:14 PM

apparently "Pentax" make cameras Wink

image stabiliasation in the body (meaning it'll work on any lens), very good kit lenses, huge range of compatible lenses, and very competitive on price....

just a thought

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315463 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
28 May 2009 - 8:33 PM

Quote: Personally, the Olympus looks like it ticks all the boxes, and me a Nikon man . . . lol

I would second that, been using Nikon for about the past 20 years Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.