Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Please keep the Wildlife gallery free of captive animals

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: Problem solved
cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
25 Jul 2005 - 12:03 PM

I know I'm probably being a bit of an old grump on this one, but could we keep the wildlife gallery free of the umpteen pictures of captive animals that are still being posted here.

Anything taken in a Zoo, Butterfly house, Bird of prey centre, Sealife centre or similar belongs in the Pets/Captive animal gallery.

Moan over.

Paul

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Jul 2005 - 12:03 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

IanA
IanA  113048 forum posts England12 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2005 - 12:05 PM

Agreed and seconded!

Wink)

andytvcams
andytvcams  1210396 forum posts United Kingdom
25 Jul 2005 - 12:13 PM

Have to agree on this one.

sillyconguru
25 Jul 2005 - 12:17 PM

Guilty! your 'onour.

But, I must have missed the pets/captive choice in the selection box.

Can't the Mods alter the categories?

da_nige
da_nige  101153 forum posts Scotland
25 Jul 2005 - 12:17 PM

Well said. I was thinking the same myself as nearly all my photos are of wild animals and I hate taking captive ones. The sense of achievement isn't as great for me.

Pictures of Wild anaimals are, in my opinion, harder to take than animals in captivity so I feel they need to be merited by the seperation

Neil

KatieR
KatieR  106197 forum posts6 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2005 - 12:54 PM

I think it might be appropriate to point out that this category change is very recent and therefore you should give people a chance to discover it. Not everyone will even realise that it has happened yet.

And why the need to be quite so supercilious about it?

Quote: Pictures of Wild anaimals are, in my opinion, harder to take than animals in captivity so I feel they need to be merited by the seperation[sic]

The idea was not to show superiority, despite what you may like to think. Categories are just categories. They are not ranked.

sillyconguru
25 Jul 2005 - 12:56 PM

Ah! That'll be why I didn't see the category then, I uploaded the image in March.

KatieR
25 Jul 2005 - 1:03 PM

That'll be it!
Perhaps a notification of the change will go out in the next newsletter.
No need to make people feel guilty is there.

tull
tull  11181 forum posts United Kingdom
25 Jul 2005 - 1:22 PM

Totally agree,wildlife means animals in the wild,well done Paul to bringing it to attention and hope people take notice but not Keep of the grass etc.lol

Good on ya.

Mark.

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
25 Jul 2005 - 1:25 PM

Quote: No need to make people feel guilty is there.

I hope no one does, I think the additional category passed a lot of people by. Hopefully a lot more are aware of it now.

PhillsPhotography

PIRATES IN ROWING BOATS

jimthistle73
25 Jul 2005 - 1:53 PM

Wot??! Not long til National Talk Like a Pirate Day... (9th September I think).

elowes
elowes  102832 forum posts United Kingdom
25 Jul 2005 - 1:59 PM

Especially those katty things - please

da_nige
da_nige  101153 forum posts Scotland
25 Jul 2005 - 2:35 PM

Kyd

I realise what I said sounds a bit like superiority but its not how i intended it to sound. I know what I mean but i am struggling to put it into words. I expected your kind of response after I had typed what I typed. Here is an example of what I mean. Flight shots. I have tried for years to get flight shots of wild birds but am still in search of one. I took some flight shots on a course with a captive bird. Although the shots were technically OK I did n't like them as there was little challenge involved. It was simply point camera at bird take picture go home. I feel that a photo is much more than the picture but it is about how the picture was produced.

I am sorry if I have offended anyone but as I said these are only my own opinions

Sorry

Neil

KatieR
25 Jul 2005 - 2:41 PM

Fair enough - I know that you see the point I was making.
Many struggle to get their images and therefore I don't think it would be fair (on this site) to suggest that the difference between the categories is designed to be related to the capability of the photographer.
Not trying to take anything away from the effort you make. It is to be admired. Definitely.

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: Problem solved