Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Please keep the Wildlife gallery free of captive animals

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: Problem solved
cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
25 Jul 2005 - 2:42 PM

Quote: PIRATES IN ROWING BOATS

?????

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Jul 2005 - 2:42 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

da_nige
da_nige  101153 forum posts Scotland
25 Jul 2005 - 2:53 PM

Folks please dont hold my comments against me I am a mathematician and cant write down what I mean. I understand what I mean in my head but writing it down is a completely different ball game

JEFFERIES
JEFFERIES  957 forum posts
25 Jul 2005 - 3:05 PM

Ahaa thanks for pointing that out Paul (cambirder), although if stated in the description where taken can`t really see the problem....

in saying that would be useful for people to put things in the correct sector (me being one of the guilty).

as to the difficulty of being "wild" or "non-wild" can`t really understand that one as going to my local wildlife park is sometimes easier to get several shots of the thousands of damsels, greebs, terns, herons ect ect.

So after all that lets just do what we enjoy

Luke

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
25 Jul 2005 - 3:16 PM

Quote: although if stated in the description where taken can`t really see the problem....

Well it's not exactly the end of the world, just a bit annoying when you just want to view real wildlife shots (The latest post in that section is a ruddy domestic cow!). My bigest gripe however are those shots that do not declare they are captive animals when they are.

Shots of free wild animal that happen turn up in zoos are fine after all they are free to come and go as they please.

philwig
philwig  9817 forum posts1 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2005 - 11:59 PM

I can't be having with all this "I'm offended" stuff. "Wild" isn't a difficult word for most to understand. It's a recent change and gentle reminders should help.

Perhaps those zoo animals have "deferred wildness"?

There was a bit of controversy the other year with the BG wildlife photographer contest when it was won by a captive shot. It was interesting to note that year that the competition advertising actually used a [much stronger] wild image.

Thanks for posting the reminder.

KatieR
KatieR  106197 forum posts6 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jul 2005 - 12:17 AM

While there is nothing wrong with a reminder here, if you really want to be clear, make a comment on the "offending" pictures themselves - most people don't come onto the forums, so they wont have a clue that they are doing anything incorrectly.

keithh
keithh  1022788 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jul 2005 - 12:20 AM

also worth pointing out that when the gallery was altered many already posted shots had their categories changed by Will (i guess). So my cow shot was put into 'Wildlife'...but then again with a whole moor to roam it's hardly captive...as cows go.

agoreira
agoreira  106001 forum posts Wales
26 Jul 2005 - 12:34 AM

I put some bird shots up once in a birding forum, and had good reviews, until someone realised they were from a wildlife trust site. I never realised it was a no no, I was nearly black balled! Wink The particular birds I shot were free to come and go, but because it was a wildlife trust site, they were inadmissable. Similarly, we had a resident long tailed duck on our local ponds for a few years, and I was accused of taking that at a trust site, so they wanted to ban that as well. I gave up in the end!

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110169 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jul 2005 - 12:43 AM

Interesting this business about "Wildlife". Where do you put shots from game parks and managed wildlife areas where the animals are totally habituated to the presence of packaged safari tours and TV "Wildlife" photographers?

Talking to Andy Rouse a while back I got the impression its very much a case of "Now we'll drive down to see the Lions, its 15.00 so they should be feeding". It sounded like a larger version of Longleat to me.

The same point strikes about photographing Gamebirds or Deer on managed estates - I don't see there's really any difference between a deer roaming the moors or a cow or two?

Surely so long as the photographer's description is clear about context that should suffice?

Brian

agoreira
agoreira  106001 forum posts Wales
26 Jul 2005 - 1:08 AM

"Surely so long as the photographer's description is clear about context that should suffice?"

One would have thought so, but these purists can be very pedantic! If an agency want a shot of a wild animal, I doubt if it matters to them whether it was shot in the wild or in captivity.

"Talking to Andy Rouse"

You name dropper, Brian! Wink

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114484 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jul 2005 - 1:51 AM

I'm having trouble with the "Wildlife" and "Close Up" categories myself! I uploaded a Southern Hawker Dragonfly yesterday.....Now should that have gone into Wildlife or Close up?....... Think it could have qualified for either....But it went into wildlife because it was wild!......Hell it could have gone in the adult section, I mean it was naked....
Oh decisions, decisions, decisions.......I liked the categories the way they were, I did'nt have to make a life changing decision then and listen to the sticklers about how I've put summat in the wrong place!....LOL....
I'll keep taking the pills I think.....I'll just ring my consultant psychiatrist for some stronger ones though!

Ade

PhillsPhotography

a naked dragonfly lol nice 1 ade

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jul 2005 - 2:17 AM

So what if a wild dragonfly just hops into your budgie cage whilst you are taking a picture? Should that go into captive or wildlife?

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114484 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jul 2005 - 2:28 AM

Stick it in the adult section of course Ian....I mean it's obviously trying to hump the budgie!....LOL

Ade

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jul 2005 - 2:37 AM

Maybe we should divide every category into captive and wild then Ade. Then barns in fields could go into the Wild architecture category whilst their unfortunate city brethren the office block would go into captive.

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: Problem solved