Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Podcasts on ePHOTOzine

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Duncan_E
Duncan_E  7199 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
26 Mar 2007 - 5:46 PM

Hi everyone,

As part of the new features we're introducing, we are adding Podcasts of the reviews, not because we think EPZ has sent you blind, but so that you can download reviews and listen to them on the move on any MP3 player.

As this is a trial, we have two versions of the following three reviews. One is a standard transcription of the review itself, the other is a more discussive interpretation of the review and has a more informal style. Let us know which type you'd prefer. We're veering towards the latter at the moment. Also, on the last review listed, we've included a highly alternative version of the review. This is just for fun, though it does cover all the same elements as the standard review and would run alongside a regular Podcast.

So, please have a look at the reviews of:

The Samsung NV10 10Mp compact camera.

The Monster Pod tripod.

The Billingham Digital Hadley bag.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Mar 2007 - 5:46 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

raziel_uk
raziel_uk  94929 forum posts
26 Mar 2007 - 6:01 PM

I know many people will probably shoot me down with comments like "Why not wait and see what it's like", etc. but I do wonder if this is worth while.

Looking at the podcast size for the Samsung 14MBs and 29MBs is a lot to download unless you have a relatively speedy connection.

I have a feeling that it will be a five minute wonder. People will try it at first because it's new, but then if you are still going to have the written review, I think people will sit there reading the review while they wait for the podcast to finish downloading, by which time they have read what they want to know.

So in conclusion it's an idea that I really don't think we need on epz.

Now, just CLICK HERE to hear my podcast of this review. :o)

Britman
Britman  71669 forum posts England
26 Mar 2007 - 6:02 PM

Good idea. But the Monster pod and samsung informal reviews are missing. I just get a 404.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013937 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
26 Mar 2007 - 6:56 PM

Quote: Looking at the podcast size for the Samsung 14MBs and 29MBs is a lot to download unless you have a relatively speedy connection.

Huh? You don't have to sit and wait for it to download. Let it download in the background and listen to it when it arrives.

Much easier for me to listen to a podcast at work than read a screen...so I will be trying it out.

Hopefully there will be a podcast RSS feed so I can get regular updates on my Netvibes page.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96101 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
26 Mar 2007 - 7:22 PM

I am sure there are a lot of good things coming for this site Smile but for me this is not one of them :-(

Sorry.

Personally I would prefer an option so save Reviews, Articles, etc as a "pdf"

I find these much easier to read, you can zoom in, and also print.

raziel_uk
26 Mar 2007 - 7:35 PM

Quote: You don't have to sit and wait for it to download. Let it download in the background and listen to it when it arrives.

You are still waiting for it though and people with slower BB connections or dial up cannot download these very quickly.

Quote: Much easier for me to listen to a podcast at work

You and I are lucky as we can both access epz at work - a lot of people can't, let alone download a podcast.

agoreira
agoreira  106001 forum posts Wales
26 Mar 2007 - 7:54 PM

Quote: So in conclusion it's an idea that I really don't think we need on epz.

Is that "we", or you, or are you talking for all of us? Wink
That's your opinion, and who knows, you may be right, but it may also prove popular with some of the members.
I never thought I'd have a use for an mp3 player, not big into music, but then along came podcasts, and as I study Spanish, I use mine exclusively for Spanish podcasts, it's a great resource for me. Podcasts are really cheap to setup, no huge outlay, so if it doesn't take off, nothing lost. In a forum I visit, loads of people from around the world are sending in their own videos, normally only four or five minutes long, perhaps that's next and we'll be able to view you in the flesh, so to speak! We'll perhaps that's not such a good idea.
I can remember when quite a few of us here were advocating PM, and that was dismissed at the time, it wasn't something "we" wanted.

raziel_uk
26 Mar 2007 - 7:57 PM

Quote: I use mine exclusively for Spanish podcasts

So you won't be using it for the epz podcasts either then? ;o)

Actually, I've never listened to a podcast, on my mp3 player or anywhere else.

Quote: I can remember when quite a few of us here were advocating PM, and that was dismissed at the time, it wasn't something "we" wanted.

I can remember when "we" (as in everyone except a few of us naysayers) wanted the epz shop selling epz branded goods. What happened? It bombed.

I can also remember when "we" (again everyone except a few of us naysayers) wanted the book published and when Pete decided to do it only a few initially paid any money and look at all the worry and hassle Pete went to. I only hope he broke even - rather than having breakdown - from it all.

BigCol
BigCol e2 Member 121835 forum postsBigCol vcard Scotland1 Constructive Critique Points
26 Mar 2007 - 8:01 PM

I subscribe to quite a few of the video podcasts now available, though I probably wouldn't be too interested in listening to podcasts of reviews. But hey, each to his own.
I like the idea of having PDF versions of some of the buyers guides and technique/freelance/articles though, now that's an idea that might be worthy of making available to e2 members. ;o)

agoreira
agoreira  106001 forum posts Wales
26 Mar 2007 - 8:12 PM

Quote: So you won't be using it for the epz podcasts either then? ;o)

Personally, no I won't, at least not the 3 mentioned, but then I'm only speaking for myself, others might well enjoy them.Wink I have listened to some excellent podcasts on photography, everything from lens choices, lighting,printing, colour management, software, filing photos, photoshop techniques etc,etc. Now something like that may be more interestion than listening to someone talking about a bag! Wink

Duncan_E
26 Mar 2007 - 9:33 PM

Quote: I like the idea of having PDF versions of some of the buyers guides and technique/freelance/articles though, now that's an idea that might be worthy of making available to e2 members.

Okay, well Pete wants to keep some surprises up his sleeve, but its safe to say we are looking at all of these things, particularly the PDFs. We are also looking at certain downloadable features that will be available to e2 members only, adding value to your subscription. As has been mentioned, Podcasts audio and video, are not for people on dial-up, unless they are extremely patient, but broadband is becoming ever more widespread and that's where that feature is targetted.

The idea of downloads is not to replace your time reading at EPZ - god forbid! - but to give you something to take on the train, car, plane when you are travelling. Not all these features will appeal to everyone, but the idea is to enhance what we do offer you, all either for free, or for e2 members.

Duncan_E
27 Mar 2007 - 9:31 AM

The links have been corrected - no thanks to Vista.

digicammad
digicammad e2 Member 1021988 forum postsdigicammad vcard United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
27 Mar 2007 - 9:42 AM

Ashley is there no end to your doom-mongering?

Podcasts are being increasingly used for many things and, although I may not use them often myself, I welcome the fact that the ePz team are open to new ideas and willing to try them out.

You say that not everybody has a fast enough connection to be able to download them. If everybody thought like that we wouldn't have any of the things we take for granted today, because at some point there would have been a group of people who couldn't take advantage.

You seem to be assume that the team are developing things for the sake of it, which I think is incredibly insulting to them.

Yes a couple of the ideas have not worked out, but that is life and I certainly wouldn't include the book in that list. Again, if people didn't try things in case they didn't work out, our world would be a totally different and much less pleasant place to live.

I know, let's invent an electric light! Oh, perhaps not, just think of the disappointment if it doesn't work.

conrad
conrad e2 Member 910870 forum postsconrad vcard 116 Constructive Critique Points
27 Mar 2007 - 9:46 AM

Quote: I know, let's invent an electric light! Oh, perhaps not, just think of the disappointment if it doesn't work.

An even better reason, with Ashley's reasoning applied: some people in Africa or Asia may not be able to use it, so let's not bother offering it to anyone at all!

hobbs
hobbs  101222 forum posts United Kingdom
27 Mar 2007 - 9:58 AM

I'm not sure if I would use the podcast feature myself but I'm sure there are others who would find them usefull. Got to say though I'm glad to see innovations like this being added to the site as it does increase its value.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.