Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Police claim they don't need law to stop photographer taking pictures

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
snapbandit
29 Jun 2010 - 12:49 PM

Don't know if this has been posted before (I couldn't see it anywhere after a quick search/scan) so mod's feel free to delete if it has :-

Police officers stopped a teenage photographer from taking pictures of an Armed Forces Day parade - and then claimed they did not need a law to detain him.

Jules Mattsson, a 16-year-old freelancer from Hackney, East London, was photographing police cadets on Saturday when he was ordered to stop and give his personal details by an adult cadet officer who claimed he needed parental permission to capture images of the cadets.

More Info

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Jun 2010 - 12:49 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat
cameracat  108574 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jun 2010 - 1:18 PM

Quote: taking pictures of an Armed Forces Day parade

Seems fair enough.....Smile

Quote: Jules Mattsson, a 16-year-old freelancer from Hackney, East London, was photographing police cadets

Not exactly " Armed Forces " then......Sad Yeah ! know they have guns, But as yet the police have not been asked to work on the front line in " Helmund " .....Grin

Quote: he was ordered to stop and give his personal details by an adult cadet officer

Ok, So lets have some leeway here, Adult or otherwise its still a cadet, So he/she may just be a little overzealous, Just needs informing of the facts by a senior oficer.....Smile

Quote: who claimed he needed parental permission to capture images of the cadets.

I know the police are starting to look younger and younger these days......Grin But just what sort of age are we talking for a police cadet, They are not likely to be straight out of primary school, And one presumes they where fully clothed.......Smile

Again this just points to the fact that, Whilst the fully fledged officers are slowly becoming aware of the precise details regarding photography and the law......Smile

Perhaps the junior plod has yet to catch up, So once again its really a call for thier senior officers to advise them accordingly.

Basically a story blown out of proportion by the press, Certainly something that could be dealt with at a local level & at the time the incident took place, Hardly worth stirring the wrath/fury of all for.

Probaly exaggerated by Jules Mattson aged 16, In order to futher his credentials/career,

jazzygf
jazzygf  10537 forum posts Scotland
29 Jun 2010 - 3:48 PM

Armed forces day has SFA to do with police cadets, sounds a strange one to be sure. But lets say they did not have any armed forces in the area so used police cadets as a stand in, then mabey the freelance tog should have been approched by a real cop and told no photography and not a cadet.
If it is true i would have got the persons number and then phone public relations at scotland yard and tell the to educate there cadets.

If the parade was in public then they had no right to stop you taking photos if the cadets did not want to be photographed then they should not have been marching its simple. I am still amazed at the stupidity of our police service at times its the guys and girls with the 12 mega pixel camera phones they need to watch out for not the person standing infront with the big slr camera taking pictures.

KevSB
KevSB  101387 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jun 2010 - 4:17 PM

Quote:

Basically a story blown out of proportion by the press, Certainly something that could be dealt with at a local level & at the time the incident took place, Hardly worth stirring the wrath/fury of all for.

Probaly exaggerated by Jules Mattson aged 16, In order to futher his credentials/career,

And there im sure lies the problem, the press lap these story's up but never report where a police officer offers to move his car as one done recently for a member here, thats to boring.

minicooper
29 Jun 2010 - 6:33 PM

Last week I was taking pictures in Manchester including police and young children no body bothered me. It does seem to be mainly London where this happens. Yes I know London has suffered by attacks but so has Manchester. There were other images of children in the tog's images how come no body objected about them.

JamesGarfield
29 Jun 2010 - 6:36 PM

Sounds like this PC and his colleagues were having a bad day, very unfortunate for the young tog involved but I was impressed with how he stood his ground.

KevSB
KevSB  101387 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jun 2010 - 7:40 PM

He refused to give his name and address to a police officer on duty when asked, nothing impressive with that

JamesGarfield
29 Jun 2010 - 7:43 PM

Agreed, I meant how he consistantly asked what law they were using against him.

SuziBlue
SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jun 2010 - 7:45 PM

I think he held his ground well too. They didn't know their facts and they tried to intimidate him and used physical force. I certainly don't think he's exaggerating. He's not an agitator as they claim - he's simply a young person standing his ground and speaking up for himself. Good on him.

The more photographers that speak up and refuse to be intimidated the better. What's the alternative? Being silenced by people who are abusing their position.

Whistleblowers always do come in for flak.

Jestertheclown
29 Jun 2010 - 8:55 PM

Quote: Basically a story blown out of proportion by the press, Certainly something that could be dealt with at a local level & at the time the incident took place, Hardly worth stirring the wrath/fury of all for.

Probably exaggerated by Jules Mattson aged 16, In order to futher his credentials/career,

You're probably right on both counts there Vince.

As I've said in previous threads re. photographers being stopped by the police, none of us were actually there so none of us know,or ever will know, what actually took place.

Me? I'll keep an open mind.

Jester.

Hazelmouse
29 Jun 2010 - 9:06 PM

There is a thread already on this WITH a video of the events. Can't link but look under heading 'anybody know ' for the vid link.

minicooper
29 Jun 2010 - 9:42 PM

there's a link at the top here.Wink

wrinkles
wrinkles e2 Member 5338 forum postswrinkles vcard United Kingdom
29 Jun 2010 - 9:50 PM

The country has gone to the dogs,so they can now piss all over us.Sad

thewilliam
30 Jun 2010 - 11:34 AM

Under the last government, the police seem to have been given carte blanche. Gordon Brown wasn't satisfied with 28 days detention without charge under the terrorism legislation, he wanted 90 days!

The new regime has made a committment to reverse the erosion of civil liberties.

People like wrinkles need to get up off their butts and fight for restoration of traditional British liberty. Just as my father's generation did in WW2 and my grandfather's in WW1.

Ther country might have gone to the dogs but we don't need to let it stay there!

Last Modified By thewilliam at 30 Jun 2010 - 11:35 AM
KathyW
KathyW  101793 forum posts Norfolk Island12 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jun 2010 - 12:04 PM

Well, the young "freelance photographer" (schoolboy) has certainly got the attention he wanted. Legal action? Hmmm... I wonder who will be paying for that?

Seems he was being slightly annoying by getting in the way when they were trying to form the parade. He was asked politely to move by one of the organisers, and he immediately started spouting his "rights"... What would have happened if he had simply done as requested and moved to another area and just carried on quietly taking photos, not getting in the way of the parade?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.