Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Police still on side of the criminal

filmforever 7 695
16 Feb 2011 3:10PM
Just seen this on Sky News:
Man steals 820 from his employer.....Employer finds out and frogmarches him down to the nearest police station, with a notice round his neck reading "I am a thief"...etc.etc., ......Upon arrival at police station, the police arrest the employer, charging him with illegal detention (or something similar)...he is detained overnight in a police cell.
The theif's solicitor then starts a private prosecution against the victim alleging "forcible detention"..."destroying his clients reputation in public"...."denying him his human rights"..etc. etc.
The result???....surprise, surprise...the Court finds in favour of the thief, and the victim now has to pay 35,000 in compensation. He has to sell his home to pay it.
The victim?....He was let go with a warning!
And there was me thinking that the favouring of the criminal over the victim was a New Labour trait.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MikeA 10 1.2k England
16 Feb 2011 3:22PM
Lucky to be able to walk to the nearest police stationWink
MrGoatsmilk 6 1.5k England
16 Feb 2011 3:30PM
Think there is a bit more to it than meets the eye, such as the alleged thief being owed money by the employer, which if so will mean no theft has taken place it then becomes civil. If it was theft then the detention of the "offender" would be legal as in any person powers.

But without all the facts and the selling of news what really is to believe?
Randle 8 100 United Kingdom
16 Feb 2011 3:36PM
The story I read was the employer did not pay the employee his wages, so he stole a cheque for 820 from him.
I think the employer got what he deserved, but the employee should also have been punished.
digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
16 Feb 2011 3:45PM
It was on Sky News, it must be true!!

Right?

What, you mean they bias reports to encourage more viewers? No I can't believe that, even the red tops wouldn't do that.

What? They do?

You mean there never was a London bus on the moon either?
MrGoatsmilk 6 1.5k England
16 Feb 2011 3:46PM

Quote: but the employee should also have been punished.

Not if the amount taken was the amount owed, it's civil then.
franken e2
12 3.3k 4 Wales
16 Feb 2011 3:50PM
The law of the land states, "Innocent until proven guilty!" By a court. You can't drag someone to a police station with a large notice around their neck!

Ken
collywobles 10 3.4k 9 United Kingdom
16 Feb 2011 3:54PM

Quote: You can't drag someone to a police station with a large notice around their neck!

Thats a pity!

They'll be giving perverts, rapists and peadophiles the right to appeal against them being on the register of sex offenders next! ..........and roo the day they think prisoners have a right to vote.
franken e2
12 3.3k 4 Wales
16 Feb 2011 3:56PM

Quote:You can't drag someone to a police station with a large notice around their neck!

Thats a pity!

Popular in the middle ages apparently!

All the employer had to do was to phone the police and they would have visited the employers business as they are paid to do!

Ken
ckristoff 10 959 Wales
16 Feb 2011 4:00PM
Hmmmm..............

I think the world is becoming more stupid by the day.

I'm not saying the employer was right in his actions. To sell his home to pay compensation of 35,000!! For what??

Frank.
franken e2
12 3.3k 4 Wales
16 Feb 2011 4:11PM
I read the Metro today and it said the case was settled out of court as the employer would have probably gone bankrupt if the case proceeded.

The ex-employee was awarded 5,000 and the employer had to also pay his costs. The employer had to part with 13,000 in total. (as per the Metro)

More to this than was probably stated by Sky news maybe?

Ken
franken e2
12 3.3k 4 Wales
16 Feb 2011 4:16PM
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
16 Feb 2011 4:40PM
Looks to me like they were both in the wrong.
filmforever 7 695
16 Feb 2011 4:54PM

Quote:
All the employer had to do was to phone the police and they would have visited the employers business as they are paid to do!

Do you think they would?...In my experience the usual reaction is, "There's nothing we can do".
digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
16 Feb 2011 4:58PM
There probably wasn't if no crime had been committed.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.