Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Police still on side of the criminal

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

filmforever
16 Feb 2011 - 3:10 PM

Just seen this on Sky News:
Man steals 820 from his employer.....Employer finds out and frogmarches him down to the nearest police station, with a notice round his neck reading "I am a thief"...etc.etc., ......Upon arrival at police station, the police arrest the employer, charging him with illegal detention (or something similar)...he is detained overnight in a police cell.
The theif's solicitor then starts a private prosecution against the victim alleging "forcible detention"..."destroying his clients reputation in public"...."denying him his human rights"..etc. etc.
The result???....surprise, surprise...the Court finds in favour of the thief, and the victim now has to pay 35,000 in compensation. He has to sell his home to pay it.
The victim?....He was let go with a warning!
And there was me thinking that the favouring of the criminal over the victim was a New Labour trait.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Feb 2011 - 3:10 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MikeA
MikeA  91173 forum posts England
16 Feb 2011 - 3:22 PM

Lucky to be able to walk to the nearest police stationWink

MrGoatsmilk
16 Feb 2011 - 3:30 PM

Think there is a bit more to it than meets the eye, such as the alleged thief being owed money by the employer, which if so will mean no theft has taken place it then becomes civil. If it was theft then the detention of the "offender" would be legal as in any person powers.

But without all the facts and the selling of news what really is to believe?

Last Modified By MrGoatsmilk at 16 Feb 2011 - 3:30 PM
Randle
Randle  896 forum posts United Kingdom
16 Feb 2011 - 3:36 PM

The story I read was the employer did not pay the employee his wages, so he stole a cheque for 820 from him.
I think the employer got what he deserved, but the employee should also have been punished.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
16 Feb 2011 - 3:45 PM

It was on Sky News, it must be true!!

Right?

What, you mean they bias reports to encourage more viewers? No I can't believe that, even the red tops wouldn't do that.

What? They do?

You mean there never was a London bus on the moon either?

MrGoatsmilk
16 Feb 2011 - 3:46 PM

Quote: but the employee should also have been punished.

Not if the amount taken was the amount owed, it's civil then.

franken
franken e2 Member 123127 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
16 Feb 2011 - 3:50 PM

The law of the land states, "Innocent until proven guilty!" By a court. You can't drag someone to a police station with a large notice around their neck!

Ken

collywobles
16 Feb 2011 - 3:54 PM

Quote: You can't drag someone to a police station with a large notice around their neck!

Thats a pity!

They'll be giving perverts, rapists and peadophiles the right to appeal against them being on the register of sex offenders next! ..........and roo the day they think prisoners have a right to vote.

Last Modified By collywobles at 16 Feb 2011 - 3:55 PM
franken
franken e2 Member 123127 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
16 Feb 2011 - 3:56 PM

Quote: You can't drag someone to a police station with a large notice around their neck!

Thats a pity!

Popular in the middle ages apparently!

All the employer had to do was to phone the police and they would have visited the employers business as they are paid to do!

Ken

ckristoff
ckristoff  10938 forum posts Wales
16 Feb 2011 - 4:00 PM

Hmmmm..............

I think the world is becoming more stupid by the day.

I'm not saying the employer was right in his actions. To sell his home to pay compensation of 35,000!! For what??

Frank.

franken
16 Feb 2011 - 4:11 PM

I read the Metro today and it said the case was settled out of court as the employer would have probably gone bankrupt if the case proceeded.

The ex-employee was awarded 5,000 and the employer had to also pay his costs. The employer had to part with 13,000 in total. (as per the Metro)

More to this than was probably stated by Sky news maybe?

Ken

franken
16 Feb 2011 - 4:16 PM

What the BBC has said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-12473446

Ken

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315362 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
16 Feb 2011 - 4:40 PM

Looks to me like they were both in the wrong.

filmforever
16 Feb 2011 - 4:54 PM

Quote:
All the employer had to do was to phone the police and they would have visited the employers business as they are paid to do!

Do you think they would?...In my experience the usual reaction is, "There's nothing we can do".

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
16 Feb 2011 - 4:58 PM

There probably wasn't if no crime had been committed.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.