Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Poor colours on upload

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Scottjessuk
    6 Apr 2012 - 7:42 PM

Hi everyone this is possibly a silly question but I have been uploading my pictures recently to here and to 500px but the colours are looking really faded unlike what they actually look like on my computer, anyone have any idea why this is. They are all processed in lightrooms and are saved as RGB, anything to do with this. Any help would be appreciated.

regards

Scott

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    6 Apr 2012 - 7:42 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade
    ade_mcfade  1014554 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Apr 2012 - 7:45 PM

I think its a colour space issue... not entirely sure how it all works, but try doing a "save for web" in Photoshop and see what difference it makes

probably something related to sRGB and Adobe colour space...

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    thatmanbrian
    6 Apr 2012 - 8:09 PM

Or it might be your monitor calibration. Is it calibrated and if so is it calibrated for a nice screen image or to match your printer output? What's the printer got to do with the web display though?

Many friends set up their monitor to display the way they imagine the image should look. This is fine if all you do is look at it on that one screen. But other screens or web sites won't necessarily match! If you use a colorometer to match the screen to your printer for example, you'll be surprised how much you need to reduce contrast, brightness and saturation on screen to match the printed page. Many people don't like that but your eyes quickly adapt. It also means there is a better chance that others will see the results you intended.

Colorspace refers to standards such as sRGB, RGB, ProRGB, etc. sRGB is the default and also allows the poorest colour range but matches printed output well. It is also what websites are set up for. If you had an image in ProRGB it would be great for display on a monitor but contain too wide a range of colour for a website which would have to try and reconfigure the image to display it. This can result in disappointing effects. So it is best to ensure the image is in sRGB before uploading, but I doubt this is your problem.

GlennH
    GlennH e2 Member 81820 forum postsGlennH vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Apr 2012 - 8:15 PM

Your photos are in Adobe RGB, or at least the couple I just checked were. So they'll look okay to anyone using a colour-managed browser providing they have the profile embedded, which they appear to have. But it is best to switch to sRGB to cater for the majority.

Scottjessuk
    7 Apr 2012 - 11:03 AM

Thanks very much guys, I have lightrooms and i used the save for web function for a new image on another site and the colours seemed to be vibrant and not bleached out. I send off all my images for print and unfortunately just do all my work from a laptop, I guess it's also getting the right tilt on my laptop screen too for it to look right.

Quote: Colorspace refers to standards such as sRGB, RGB, ProRGB, etc. sRGB is the default and also allows the poorest colour range but matches printed output well. It is also what websites are set up for. If you had an image in ProRGB it would be great for display on a monitor but contain too wide a range of colour for a website which would have to try and reconfigure the image to display it. This can result in disappointing effects. So it is best to ensure the image is in sRGB before uploading, but I doubt this is your problem.

Thank you this is very helpful and didn't realize the complexity of the colourspace standards.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.