Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Poor English

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

keithh
keithh  1022818 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2013 - 12:10 PM

So do I: and don't even mention my use of the Cambridge Colon.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Feb 2013 - 12:10 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Meheecho
Meheecho  1275 forum posts United Kingdom
13 Feb 2013 - 12:18 PM

I never mention my colon in public eitherGrinGrinGrin

keithh
13 Feb 2013 - 12:22 PM

Since my Op; I have a semi-colon.

Last Modified By keithh at 13 Feb 2013 - 12:23 PM
bigalguitarpicker
13 Feb 2013 - 11:53 PM

Glad you didn't come to a full stop!

Meheecho
14 Feb 2013 - 7:41 AM

Writers block???GrinGrin

NEWDIGIT
NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
14 Feb 2013 - 2:05 PM

Crikey what have I started?
I dont expect all entries to be grammatically accurate, but some are plain awful such as this recent one

Hi all I have read mix review about Nikon 16-35 VR and 17-35 F2.8, both are good and bad, however I searched many reviews said that 17-35 F2.8 is better over then 16-35 because 16-35 VR, At 16mm setting show a considerable amount of barrel distortion then 17-35 at 17mm and 16-35 VR at 35mm is not sharp as 17-35 at 35mm. As it look like that 16-35 is best between 20mm to 24mm range and have VR for hand-held use which is useful but not for landscape work with VR on!!. With lee or Hitech filters perferable use with tripod work not hand held. So which one is best ? I think lens with VR is best use like 24-85mm or longer telephoto to able use hand held most of time. I know one of nikon 24-85mm F3.5/4 VR, when mount on tripod, VR switch off automatic!!!! I think VR is not necessary on wide angle lenses. I read review that if switch VR on when mount on tripod, VR thinks the lens is moving and it will cause burr on image!!!! Must turn VR off when lens mount on tripod always!!!!

Sorry David but this was the one that jumped out at me

lemmy
lemmy  71774 forum posts United Kingdom
14 Feb 2013 - 2:13 PM

Quote: Sorry David but this was the one that jumped out at me

I don't know whose it was but I'm pretty sure from the way it reads that it's from someone who has English as a second language.

Meheecho
14 Feb 2013 - 2:32 PM

Ian --you really should try to get out more often! I joined EPZ because it is, primarily, a site for photographers of all levels and abilities. My main reason for joining was to seek advice and opinions and to improve my techniques. So far, this has been achieved thanks to a lot of like-minded and helpful people. It has also provided a venue for light hearted banter on some of the forums which I have also enjoyed.
If I had wanted a course on English grammar/spelling I would have gone to my local college or found an appropriate website providing that service
Regards
Steve

lemmy
14 Feb 2013 - 2:45 PM

Quote: [quote]If I had wanted a course on English grammar/spelling I would have gone to my local college or found an appropriate website providing that service

Or not read/ follow posts you don't enjoy/ approve of? As an example, I have no interest in what someone might charge for photographing a christening, for example, so what I do is not read that post.

A forum cannot be tailored to what any one individual wants. From the four pages of posts here, it is obvious that it addresses a subject that does interest some people.

Meheecho
14 Feb 2013 - 3:20 PM

Point taken , David, and, hopefully no offence taken by anyone

devlin
devlin  4651 forum posts India39 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2013 - 6:20 PM

Quote: Crikey what have I started?
I dont expect all entries to be grammatically accurate, but some are plain awful such as this recent one

Hi all I have read mix review about Nikon 16-35 VR and 17-35 F2.8, both are good and bad, however I searched many reviews said that 17-35 F2.8 is better over then 16-35 because 16-35 VR, At 16mm setting show a considerable amount of barrel distortion then 17-35 at 17mm and 16-35 VR at 35mm is not sharp as 17-35 at 35mm. As it look like that 16-35 is best between 20mm to 24mm range and have VR for hand-held use which is useful but not for landscape work with VR on!!. With lee or Hitech filters perferable use with tripod work not hand held. So which one is best ? I think lens with VR is best use like 24-85mm or longer telephoto to able use hand held most of time. I know one of nikon 24-85mm F3.5/4 VR, when mount on tripod, VR switch off automatic!!!! I think VR is not necessary on wide angle lenses. I read review that if switch VR on when mount on tripod, VR thinks the lens is moving and it will cause burr on image!!!! Must turn VR off when lens mount on tripod always!!!!

Sorry David but this was the one that jumped out at me

That does not sound like someone with English as a first language Smile...its a little difficult to follow but not impossible...rather if this is someone who doesnt know the language well i would say he's done a good job Wink

and no (before someone asks) its not my first language either.....Tongue

keithh
14 Feb 2013 - 8:00 PM

Strange is it not that we pull people up for singling out photos in the forums but not for highlighting forum posts for criticism based upon their use of the English language.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014749 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2013 - 8:22 PM

poor grammar is quick to decipher

long, verbose paragraphs, with no white space, are usually left unread

we all have an "enter" key

maybe use it

now and then?

Smile

Cephus
Cephus  92123 forum posts England
14 Feb 2013 - 8:23 PM

Quote: Strange is it not that we pull people up for singling out photos in the forums but not for highlighting forum posts for criticism based upon their use of the English language.

Yes and have you noticed that most it comes from a very few sad individuals who are so far up their own apertures that criticism is only way to hide their own inadequacies.

lemmy
14 Feb 2013 - 11:01 PM

Quote: we all have an "enter" key maybe use it now and then?

That's judgemental, Paul. Just as criticism of pictures should be limited to 'wow, you are so talented', so should all posts, no matter how intelligible, be beyond comment.

Basically, if you can be bothered to use a spell check, don't bother. It's elitist. And I must make sure that when I contribute to French sites, I do not not bother to check and double check that I have done it as well as I can.

I'm as lazy as the next person but I have always regarded it as a vice. Apparently it's another 'whatever'.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.