Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Poor quality slide show

ColinT-B e2
8 38 3 England
17 Jun 2012 8:51PM
Hello Fellow EPZ ers.
Im wondering if someone can help me out.
Im trying to create a DVD slide show.
I create the slideshow no problem, all the images in time, nice theme, background music in time to slideshow.
But when I burn to DVD the quality is poor. Its kind of ok on a laptop, but on a big screen its awful.

The software Im using is iphoto to create the slideshow, the iDVD to create the DVD.
I have to confess that Im fairly new to the Mac, only had for a couple of months, but I thought the quality would be better than this.
Do I nee to consider buying a diffent software ??

What am I doing wrong ?? Can anybody help ??

Colin

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MeanGreeny e2
9 3.7k England
17 Jun 2012 9:18PM
What resolution are the pictures you are burning? Are they JPEG or TIF?

Does the resolution of the pictures match that of the laptop? Is that why it's OK there?

On what 'big screen' are you viewing the 'poor' DVD show? Monitor? LCD TV? Projector? What is the resolution of the 'big screen'? Are you viewing it from too close for the resolution/size of the pictures? i.e. a big picture should be viewed from further away.

What settings are you burning the DVD at? Is there a quality versus speed type decision to be made during the set up process?

We can't help you with the poor description you gave us.
ColinT-B e2
8 38 3 England
17 Jun 2012 9:46PM
Thanks for you reply.

Sorry if my description is not that clear. I dont fully understand all of the jargon you used here, but i will try and answer your questions.

The pictures are Jegs, not scaled down, 240dpi and an average of 4-5 megapixels.

the TV I am viewiing on is a Samsung 36 inch scrren HD 1080.

I have to confess I dont understand the 'quality versus speed' issue

Hope this has meade things a bit clearer.

Colin
MeanGreeny e2
9 3.7k England
17 Jun 2012 10:59PM
Hi Colin, no problem.

What resolution are the jpegs? [the dpi figure is irrelevant] i.e. How many pixels x how many pixels e.g. 1024x768 [approx laptop resolution] or 1920x1080 [24" widescreen monitor resolution & 1080P TV resolution].

It sounds as if the picture quality is poor on the laptop. Its a small screen and the pixels are nice and tight together. If you were to project the same image onto a much bigger screen [e.g. TV] then do you think the picture would be as good 'stretched out'. Does that sound like your problem?

The jpeg size asked for above should help answer that question.

It might be [but doubtful] that there is a setting somewhere that is reducing the jpeg size/quality without your knowledge during the burn.
ColinT-B e2
8 38 3 England
17 Jun 2012 11:05PM
Now youve explained it like that it might be the problem.
but I wont be able answer your question until tomorrow now. cant get back to the computer just yet.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
I really appreciate it.

Regards,
Colin
Jestertheclown
6 6.6k 242 England
17 Jun 2012 11:15PM

Quote:The pictures are Jegs, not scaled down, 240dpi

That's ppi.
MeanGreeny e2
9 3.7k England
17 Jun 2012 11:19PM
A 36" 16:9 1080P TV maximum viewing distance is approx 13 feet - according to who you speak to [and there are many, many different opinions].

Look at the picture on your laptop from a 'normal' hands-on-keyboard viewing distance.

Now look at your TV from a distance so that the screen appears to be the same size as your laptop screen

Do they look kinda similar in terms of picture quality?

If so, then nothing is wrong with the burn process. The bigger the picture, the further away you should be viewing it from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimum_HDTV_viewing_distance#Diagonal_measurement_.C3.97_1.6_.28corresponding_to_30-degree_viewing_angle.29

This is about printing but the principle is kinda the same

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/print_viewing_distance.html
MeanGreeny e2
9 3.7k England
17 Jun 2012 11:22PM

Quote:That's ppi.

Depends what Colin is reading from. Just ignore it, you're confusing the issue.
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
18 Jun 2012 12:17AM
The resolution is a limitation of DVD players.

When iDVD creates the DVD it throws away most of your pixels and outputs images of 720 x 576 which your DVD player will play to your TV. At this point the pics will be upscaled to 1920 x 1080 with invented (interpolated) pixels. It'll look crap. If you want to go higher than 720 x 576 then you'd need to burn Blu Ray and play on a Blu Ray player. Don't think the Mac has native Blu Ray support.
ColinT-B e2
8 38 3 England
18 Jun 2012 10:16AM
Hello again, and thanks for the input guys.

The size of the images are 4288 pixels x 2848 pixels.

I have been doing some research online about this and to my surprise, there is a lot out there which describes exactly what you are saying. Basically that IDVD creator is rubbish.
Now Im no technical buff, or computer expert but it seems that the DVD creator does do some 'scaling' of the images and I think this is why on a big screen the quality is so poor.
I thought (naively) that in this day and age the quality would have been capable of creating almost HD quality on a large screen.
With cameras now increasing in quality and some shooting high quality video, it appears that this wouldn't be the case.

Does anyone know of a software program that can create high quality slideshows that can be viewed on a large TV screen.

Again, thank you for your feedback.
Colin
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
18 Jun 2012 10:38AM

Quote:I thought (naively) that in this day and age the quality would have been capable of creating almost HD quality on a large screen.

Yes but only if you use an up-to-date playback device. If you use a VHS or DVD video player quality suffers.

Your slideshow video is meant to play on a standard DVD video player, they use SD (standard definition) discs (resolution 720 x 576) and standard definition connections like scart. Your DVD player is the weak link in your chain. Want ultra quality then get something like a Boxee

Software wise, this application creates the best quality that I've seen, it does a fab job even when outputting to the humble video DVD.
justin c e2
11 4.6k 36 England
18 Jun 2012 10:58AM

Quote:Does anyone know of a software program that can create high quality slideshows that can be viewed on a large TV screen.

I believe Pro Show Gold will allow you to create high quality slideshows on DVD or even Blu-ray. It's worth persevering with because when you get it right the quality should look absolutely stunning.

Quote:I thought (naively) that in this day and age the quality would have been capable of creating almost HD quality on a large screen.

When you've cracked the best settings to use you will almost certainly get HD quality.

I'm able to stream images from the PC in my bedroom direct to a 40" Sony Bravia in the living room and the quality is first class IMO. The detail, sharpness and colours are all spot on. In fact I would go as far as to say the images look much more impressive than on a decent computer monitor.
If you have a laptop, try hooking that up to your television. Have a go with a program such as Breezebrowser Pro. You should be able to download a free trial if you don't already own it.
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
18 Jun 2012 11:04AM
Like Justin above I've a Sony 40" Bravia, I've found the best way to display images on it is using the built in USB port and a USB Stick, much better than using the DVD player.....Just an option you may wish to consider trying?

Ade
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
18 Jun 2012 11:07AM
Just a different view (NPI) of this.

Do remember that, when you are assessing quality on a screen then, just as with a print or a painting, it should be viewed from the appropriate distance. Generally this is held to be a viewing distance of around 4x the diagonal dimension of the image. So, for a TV screen with a diagonal of, say, 42" you should really view from a distance of around 14 feet.

Most of us do observe that sort of formula when viewing photographs or paintings in a gallery but tend to view television (and computer) screens from far too close - with the result that we see imperfections that would not be so obvious from the optimum viewing distance.
justin c e2
11 4.6k 36 England
18 Jun 2012 11:09AM
EDIT Having just re-read the thread properly I notice Chris has already offered similar suggestions to what I was thinking. Try connecting your laptop directly to the TV, this will give you the results you're after if you don't want to splash out on a Blu-ray player.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.