Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

  • NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here


PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Poor Rio Ferdinand


steve_p 9 1.1k England
13 Sep 2012 5:04PM
I read today that Ferdinand has lost his licence through totting up speeding offences. His solicitor tried to blame the speed camera system, because it didn't tell Mr Ferdinand that he'd been done twice on the same day!! He was exceeding the limit in his Jag.
His argument for not losing his licence was that he would not have quality time with his son by driving him to School. He can easily afford a driver for six months.
What a pathetic defence on both counts- I'm glad these overpaid idiots aren't above the law.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Big Bri 13 15.7k United Kingdom
13 Sep 2012 5:06PM
Well said.
13 Sep 2012 5:28PM
I guess he thought he might get special dispensation because of who he is. I'm glad the courts were having none of it. Up here in Scotland, footballers who abuse their position are known as "neds with money".

Maybe we need to look at the astronomical amounts of money some of these guys are paid.
Andy_Cundell 3 1.1k 5 England
13 Sep 2012 5:55PM
My only argument with the system of speed cameras is, they say that speed camera's are placed in accident black spots to slow traffic, hence making us safe and they are not a money making scheme. I think for each camera placed, it should be proved that 'spot' IS an accident black spot by reports of previous accidents over a given period of say a year. We had a new road built in Plymouth that immediately got camera's on it!

As for Rio, tough luck! He can afford a chauffeur anyway!
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
13 Sep 2012 6:01PM
Lawyer: " if my client loses his licence he will have reduced quality time with his son"
magistrate: "So the only quality time he has with his son is in the car? If it is so important perhaps he should have thought of that before speeding...for the fourth time. If your client has not learned after three previous convictions maybe your client is too stupid to be allowed on the road"


In my dreams...
kaybee 10 3.9k 24 Scotland
13 Sep 2012 6:01PM
Drive within the limit and speed cameras hold no fear ............ for anyone
thewilliam 6 4.8k
13 Sep 2012 6:19PM

Quote:Drive within the limit and speed cameras hold no fear ............ for anyone


Sometimes it's far from clear what speed we should be going.

1. Repeater signs are made of aluminium and are too attractive to thieves: or maybe the council can't be bothered to fit them! Is there a minimum spacing? Without repeater sign or streetlights, we'd normally assume national speed limit but could be very wrong.

2. Speed limit signs are often obscured by vegetation and many a cash-strapped council doesn't bother with pruning as is the case with with all the 30mph signs at the edge of our village.

3. Speed limits don't always seem logical.
robthecamman 3 1.4k United Kingdom
13 Sep 2012 7:00PM
wonder how many have been banned here .i wonder wat there defence was.come on own up Smile
Newdevonian 2 452 United Kingdom
13 Sep 2012 7:15PM

Quote:Sometimes it's far from clear what speed we should be going.

1. Repeater signs are made of aluminium and are too attractive to thieves: or maybe the council can't be bothered to fit them! Is there a minimum spacing? Without repeater sign or streetlights, we'd normally assume national speed limit but could be very wrong.

2. Speed limit signs are often obscured by vegetation and many a cash-strapped council doesn't bother with pruning as is the case with with all the 30mph signs at the edge of our village.

3. Speed limits don't always seem logical.



A couple of years ago I was up north on an unfamiliar road with no repeater signs. It was a built up area, but with houses behind trees and long drives. The road was lit because it was night time and it was dry. There was no other traffic on the road. I assumed it was a 40mph zone and was flashed doing 39mph in what turned out to be a 30mph zone. I was sent on a speed awareness course, the instructors of which, tried to explain to me that the length of the dotted line in the centre of the road was indicative of the allowed speed in absence of repeater signs. What they could not explain was how to measure the length of these lines, without getting out of the car with a tape measure. In this case the law was an ass!
njsmith 9 84 United Kingdom
13 Sep 2012 7:40PM

Quote:
A couple of years ago I was up north on an unfamiliar road with no repeater signs. It was a built up area, but with houses behind trees and long drives. The road was lit because it was night time and it was dry. There was no other traffic on the road. I assumed it was a 40mph zone and was flashed doing 39mph in what turned out to be a 30mph zone. I was sent on a speed awareness course, the instructors of which, tried to explain to me that the length of the dotted line in the centre of the road was indicative of the allowed speed in absence of repeater signs. What they could not explain was how to measure the length of these lines, without getting out of the car with a tape measure. In this case the law was an ass!



Built up area, street lights less tham 200 yards apart = 30mph speed limit, there don't need to be repeater signs, a driver who has passed their driving test should know this....I know this comment won't be liked but those are the facts..
Newdevonian 2 452 United Kingdom
13 Sep 2012 8:13PM

Quote:street lights less tham 200 yards apart = 30mph speed limit,

Interesting! This was not mentioned on the speed awareness course. How do you measure 200 yards from inside a moving car? I'd be interested to know how you do it.
mdpontin 10 6.0k Scotland
13 Sep 2012 8:21PM

Quote:How do you measure 200 yards from inside a moving car? I'd be interested to know how you do it.

Probably convert the time in seconds between street lamps into feet per second, into yards per hour, into miles per hour...and if you manage all that, you'll then find you just drove straight into the back of a "safety" camera van because you weren't concentrating on looking where you were going! Wink
Newdevonian 2 452 United Kingdom
13 Sep 2012 8:27PM

Quote:Probably convert the time in seconds between street lamps into feet per second, into yards per hour, into miles per hour...and if you manage all that, you'll then find you just drove straight into the back of a "safety" camera van because you weren't concentrating on looking where you were going! Wink



GrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrin
Graysta 9 1.1k England
13 Sep 2012 9:02PM
Best one I ever heard was of a P----d off motorist who approahed the front of a speed camera van whilst operator in rear removed front number plate of van attached it to a car and drove past the camera at well above the limit several times. GrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrinWink
13 Sep 2012 9:31PM
Appears from the above comments that some people need to re-read the highway code!!! How did they pass their their driving tests?
If they dont understand the road signs perhaps they are not safe to be driving and should hang up their car keys.
Ignorance is no excuse.

Drive safely.

Martin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.