Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Poor work in photo comps

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    meercat
    meercat  5278 forum posts United Kingdom
    26 May 2009 - 2:41 PM

I have recently entered a rival mags photo comp, with a single picture so far, but on browsing other "artists" work, I was shocked at some of the quality being entered.

Now I may not be the best photographer in the world, but one particular shot really got me annoyed. The image was on a par with photos taken by my 5 year old, top of the subject cut off, at an odd angle (not artily done just poorly) and the taker had put in his comments that the result was breath taking!!

Now I'm not perfect but why enter a comp when there are clearly amazing photos and yours is so obviously poor?

Last Modified By meercat at 26 May 2009 - 2:44 PM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    26 May 2009 - 2:41 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Overread
    Overread  53745 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    26 May 2009 - 3:09 PM

Because its a negative view to hold?
    If you think like that you would never enter a photocompetition - ever. (unless your very selfcentred/boastfull then it would not matter how good or bad your work was).

Certainly there are some people who are bad who don't know they are bad - just watch "Britians Got Talent" for some examples. However sometimes its not them that is at fault - sometimes others tell them they are good and so they try - and points to them for at least trying - some people never do
    Also as its a photocomp - how od you know the entry wasn't a 5 yearolds shot Wink

pennyspike
    pennyspike  102068 forum posts United Kingdom29 Constructive Critique Points
    26 May 2009 - 3:41 PM

Save your annoyance until it wins. Wink

Last Modified By pennyspike at 26 May 2009 - 3:42 PM
    Overread
    Overread  53745 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    26 May 2009 - 3:44 PM

reminds me a women who entered an art competition with a drawing by her son (somewhere around 5 years old I think) and she won the comp with the very basic photo because of all of the "inner meanings" and such. She had a field day telling the judges what she thought! Wink

dwilkin
    dwilkin e2 Member 724249 forum postsdwilkin vcard United Kingdom
    1 Jun 2009 - 3:18 PM

Quote: If you think like that you would never enter a photocompetition - ever.

Hence the reason I almost never have!

yellowduke
    1 Jun 2009 - 3:28 PM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

f8
    f8  109169 forum posts England22 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jun 2009 - 4:26 PM

Is that why people do self portraits? Wink

yellowduke
    1 Jun 2009 - 5:01 PM

If it is it explains why i haven't!

John_Frid
    John_Frid  8514 forum posts United Kingdom56 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jun 2009 - 5:37 PM

If someone wants to enter a competition then they should be allowed to do so. Whilst you may not feel their image is in with a chance of winning that is no reason to deny them the entry.

Being annoyed with an image (or the author) because it doesn't meet your idea of good is somewhat strange in my opinion. You may be bemused (or even amused) by the entry, but annoyance seems unwarranted.

However, if an image you think is poor were to win (or be commended in some way) then maybe you have some reason to be annoyed, but at the judges not the author. Then again, maybe the judges hold justifiably different views on what constitues a good image - photography is, after all, much more subjective than it is objective.

James_G
    James_G  7166 forum posts5 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jun 2009 - 5:59 PM

Do you get equally annoyed by clearly second-rate photos on EPZ regularly getting more than 50 votes and loads of 'great shot' comments? Just a thought.
    James.

Morpyre
    Morpyre e2 Member 91620 forum postsMorpyre vcard Wales8 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jun 2009 - 6:56 PM

which is why i like competitions that are divided into ability catagories and have seperate judges per level rather than a single group of all skills. a better approach because encourages the beginner to practice and learn to improve and work their way up through the ability levels.

Krakman
    Krakman  73615 forum posts Scotland
    1 Jun 2009 - 7:31 PM

Wouldn't it be more logical if only the ones that are going to be the winner(s) entered the competition? I don't see the point in all the others taking part at all.

Maybe you could have the competition organised into two categories - one for the ones that are going to be the winners, and the other category for all the others? It would save an awful lot of time and effort with that judging nonsense.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.