Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Pop ups on Ephotozine

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Irishkate
Irishkate e2 Member 3Irishkate vcard United Kingdom73 Constructive Critique Points
26 Mar 2014 - 4:33 PM

Any body know how to get rid of constant pops ups, visual and speaking ads currently stopping my flow on Ephotozine?
Kate Sad

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Mar 2014 - 4:33 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43819 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
26 Mar 2014 - 4:40 PM

Hi Kate, ePz doesn't run any pop-ups, so this suggests something has installed itself on your computer.

If you don't already have it, download, install and run Malwarebytes Free Edition:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/

Also, review the add-ons you have installed on your browser and remove any you don't need.

Last Modified By saltireblue at 26 Mar 2014 - 4:40 PM
robthecamman
26 Mar 2014 - 5:19 PM

switch on your pop up blocker

CarolG
CarolG e2 Member 7128 forum postsCarolG vcard Greece16 Constructive Critique Points
26 Mar 2014 - 5:28 PM

Interested to see you are having the same problem as me, Kate, I have been inundated with pop-ups whilst using ePZ for about a week now. I suggest you put a report in to the team, as I did, and David was very helpful in advising me what to do. I have been free of the wretched pop-ups all of today, long may it last Smile

CarolG
CarolG e2 Member 7128 forum postsCarolG vcard Greece16 Constructive Critique Points
26 Mar 2014 - 5:33 PM

Just read saltireblue's recommendation, exactly what David advised me to do, and it seems to have worked Smile My pop-up blocker is permanently switched on, but obviously hasn't been doing its job properly Sad

Last Modified By CarolG at 26 Mar 2014 - 5:33 PM
sparrowhawk
sparrowhawk e2 Member 5267 forum postssparrowhawk vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
26 Mar 2014 - 5:57 PM

reset your browser this happened to me and once i did this it was fine

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014639 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
26 Mar 2014 - 6:31 PM

How do you reset your browser?

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014639 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
26 Mar 2014 - 6:34 PM

I tried just about everything, and eventually I installed a program called Adfender, and it worked for about a year, then it stopped loading its filters, and quit. I removed it, but I see I'm going to have to try it again. Look on cnet.com for it.

robthecamman
26 Mar 2014 - 7:52 PM

i use google chrome type in how to reset browser it shows how to reset on quite a few

WeeGeordieLass
WeeGeordieLass e2 Member 2339 forum postsWeeGeordieLass vcard England
26 Mar 2014 - 8:40 PM

I had a nightmare with this problem when I used Firefox. I uninstalled Firefox off my laptop and it solved the problem.
Elaine Grin

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72339 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
26 Mar 2014 - 8:58 PM

We don't serve pop-ups on ePHOTOzine as we find them just as annoying as you guys. It's more likely adware/spyware/malware installed as an add-on/extension of the browser or somewhere on her computer. For this, Irishkate will need something like Malwarebytes free.

If you are getting pop-ups on ePHOTOzine, your browser has probably been hi-jacked one way or another by some adware. Run malwarebytes free, it's highly reputable and tried'n'tested by millions. Along with reviewing what software you have installed and what add-ons you have in your browser, you shouldn't have any issues eliminating these nasty pop-ups.

Last Modified By davidburleson at 26 Mar 2014 - 9:03 PM
rhol2
rhol2 e2 Member 3287 forum postsrhol2 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
26 Mar 2014 - 10:27 PM

Just to add to all the good advice above, if you are installing any program, always choose a custom install, which should show what options there are, and enable you to choose the ones you want.
Default settings often hide unwanted extras such as toolbars and other add-ons.
As these can be legitimate options, standard antivirus packages usually fail to deal with them, which is where Malwarebytes and similar are so valuable.

Last Modified By rhol2 at 26 Mar 2014 - 10:30 PM
KevinEllison
KevinEllison e2 Member 72504 forum postsKevinEllison vcard England
26 Mar 2014 - 10:35 PM

Quote: Default settings often hide unwanted extras such as toolbars and other add-ons

Oh yes... you have to be very careful to keep an eye on the tickboxes, which want you to add "ASK" etc. to your PC
I've sometimes had to roll back to the day before (system restore) to kill these...!

Irishkate
Irishkate e2 Member 3Irishkate vcard United Kingdom73 Constructive Critique Points
27 Mar 2014 - 12:05 AM

I wasn't blaming Ephotozine for the Pop ups but it was on here that they attacked - I know what I did wrong and often get caught out when downloading something. I did download Malwarebytes and it seems to have worked
although I daresay they'll want me to upgrade now!
I still can't uninstall in Programs & Features the 'Installer bundle' which I reckon caused my problem.
However for the moment the PUP is gone.
Many thanks everybody.
Kate GrinGrinGrin

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73840 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
27 Mar 2014 - 8:40 AM

I would guess if you can't remove the installer bundle where it's coming from, you will keep getting infected - it could be a root kit that activates every time you turn on the machine. As well as malware bytes, download and run rkill first, this stops unwanted processes running - then run malware bytes again. This will pick up any occupancies hidden in the system by processes that were already running.

As for mb asking for upgrade, don't worry it just wants you to buy the full version.but it is important to update the definitions as new threats come out daily.

Oh and good luck

Last Modified By Nick_w at 27 Mar 2014 - 8:43 AM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.