Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Poppy field

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Will Cheung
8 Jun 2010 - 10:17 PM

I love photographing poppies but good fields of them seem fairly rare - I have seen plenty of small clumps but nothing impressive yet. If anyone spots a large, accessible poppy field within 100 miles of Peterborough I would love to know.
Will

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Jun 2010 - 10:17 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214381 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jun 2010 - 10:42 PM

Will, there’s been a morphine shortage and growing fields of opium poppies have become a lucrative crop for some farmers.

I understand some can be found out Didcot/Ipsden way.

just one

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 8 Jun 2010 - 10:44 PM
User_Removed
8 Jun 2010 - 10:56 PM

Hi Will.
There are quite a large number of very big fields that have had poppies in them over the past few years around the Cambridge area.
Last year, I saw poppies in one field that must have stretched for about 4-500 metres.
The area is between Stapleford and Cherry Hinton, Cambridgeshire. I'm hoping to get some more shots this year. So if you want me to give you a heads up should they appear in great numbers again this year, let me know. (I'll bring the Custard Creams!)

Gerry.

User_Removed
9 Jun 2010 - 10:45 PM

No please Will.
Don't even mention it.
It's no problem!
Was it the Custard Creams that did it?

Last Modified By User_Removed at 9 Jun 2010 - 10:45 PM
User_Removed
10 Jun 2010 - 2:43 PM

No honestly Will, it's no problem!
I like Custard Creams. I'll eat the lot.

Will Cheung
10 Jun 2010 - 4:15 PM

Hi Laurel
No, I love custard creams too - you bring those and I will bring the bourbons and we can stuff our faces and shoot poppies. Just give me a heads up - and apologies for no replying earlier. Just so busy right now.
See you soon then.
Will

Will Cheung
10 Jun 2010 - 4:19 PM

Paul
Great idea - thanks for the tip re opium poppies.
Will

User_Removed
10 Jun 2010 - 4:42 PM

Only messing about Will.
I'll keep my eyes (or eye) open and let you know when and if it all bursts into flower.

User_Removed
10 Jun 2010 - 9:50 PM

Gerry - you MUST learn patience!!!

Two days to answer an OP post that requests help is not so much...

Really.

When you are an important professional photographer.

For an important international website.

Really...

Smile

User_Removed
10 Jun 2010 - 10:48 PM

Oh I see. I didn't realize that Will was an important professional photographer working for an important international website.

I thought it was just ePhotozine he worked on?

Well you live and learn. Wink

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 94035 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jun 2010 - 11:21 AM

There were a couple of opium poppy fields at Brixworth in Northamptonshire last year, nice location too at the top of a hill overlooking a large reservoir. Let me know if you are interested in that one and I can give you the location.

danielwaters
13 Jun 2010 - 1:32 PM

I saw a very nice one yesterday right on the outskirts of Peterborough. I cycled right the way round the Green Wheel (about 40 miles I think) and I saw it next to Milton Hall near Castor. Basically the Green Wheel hugs the west side of Milton Hall estate and the poppy field is on the west side of the Green Wheel. I'm just processing my shots now. Enjoy!

Les_G
Les_G  6148 forum posts Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jun 2010 - 2:05 PM

Hmm...I know Will asked for ones near Peterborough but has anyone seen any in scotland...or cumbria....or northumbria....ok sounding desperate now but its ages since I have seen a good field full of poppies!!!

Fishnet
Fishnet  94976 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jun 2010 - 2:14 PM

Weird you should post this today, I have just come back from trying to get to a field of poppies I saw in the distance but was unable to reach it in any way at all, really fed up about it.

In fairness it was a large field as such, more like a very, very large clump in a field, but I could see it on the horizon as a big red band stretching right across.

I had to make do with photographing some on a verge which I am about to upload.

Fishnet
Fishnet  94976 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jun 2010 - 5:04 PM

I've looked on Google maps and think I can see a way to get to it now, so I'll go back next week.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.