Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Poppy field

Will Cheung 11 69 United Kingdom
8 Jun 2010 10:17PM
I love photographing poppies but good fields of them seem fairly rare - I have seen plenty of small clumps but nothing impressive yet. If anyone spots a large, accessible poppy field within 100 miles of Peterborough I would love to know.
Will

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
8 Jun 2010 10:42PM
Will, there’s been a morphine shortage and growing fields of opium poppies have become a lucrative crop for some farmers.

I understand some can be found out Didcot/Ipsden way.

just one
User_Removed 12 2.8k 11 United Kingdom
8 Jun 2010 10:56PM
Hi Will.
There are quite a large number of very big fields that have had poppies in them over the past few years around the Cambridge area.
Last year, I saw poppies in one field that must have stretched for about 4-500 metres.
The area is between Stapleford and Cherry Hinton, Cambridgeshire. I'm hoping to get some more shots this year. So if you want me to give you a heads up should they appear in great numbers again this year, let me know. (I'll bring the Custard Creams!)

Gerry.
9 Jun 2010 10:45PM
No please Will.
Don't even mention it.
It's no problem!
Was it the Custard Creams that did it?
10 Jun 2010 2:43PM
No honestly Will, it's no problem!
I like Custard Creams. I'll eat the lot.
10 Jun 2010 4:15PM
Hi Laurel
No, I love custard creams too - you bring those and I will bring the bourbons and we can stuff our faces and shoot poppies. Just give me a heads up - and apologies for no replying earlier. Just so busy right now.
See you soon then.
Will
10 Jun 2010 4:19PM
Paul
Great idea - thanks for the tip re opium poppies.
Will
10 Jun 2010 4:42PM
Only messing about Will.
I'll keep my eyes (or eye) open and let you know when and if it all bursts into flower.
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
10 Jun 2010 9:50PM
Gerry - you MUST learn patience!!!

Two days to answer an OP post that requests help is not so much...

Really.

When you are an important professional photographer.

For an important international website.

Really...

Smile
10 Jun 2010 10:48PM
Oh I see. I didn't realize that Will was an important professional photographer working for an important international website.

I thought it was just ePhotozine he worked on?

Well you live and learn. Wink
whipspeed e2
10 4.0k 22 United Kingdom
11 Jun 2010 11:21AM
There were a couple of opium poppy fields at Brixworth in Northamptonshire last year, nice location too at the top of a hill overlooking a large reservoir. Let me know if you are interested in that one and I can give you the location.
danielwaters 6 93 4 United Kingdom
13 Jun 2010 1:32PM
I saw a very nice one yesterday right on the outskirts of Peterborough. I cycled right the way round the Green Wheel (about 40 miles I think) and I saw it next to Milton Hall near Castor. Basically the Green Wheel hugs the west side of Milton Hall estate and the poppy field is on the west side of the Green Wheel. I'm just processing my shots now. Enjoy!
Les_G 7 148 4 Scotland
13 Jun 2010 2:05PM
Hmm...I know Will asked for ones near Peterborough but has anyone seen any in scotland...or cumbria....or northumbria....ok sounding desperate now but its ages since I have seen a good field full of poppies!!!
Fishnet 10 5.0k 5 United Kingdom
13 Jun 2010 2:14PM
Weird you should post this today, I have just come back from trying to get to a field of poppies I saw in the distance but was unable to reach it in any way at all, really fed up about it.

In fairness it was a large field as such, more like a very, very large clump in a field, but I could see it on the horizon as a big red band stretching right across.

I had to make do with photographing some on a verge which I am about to upload.
Fishnet 10 5.0k 5 United Kingdom
13 Jun 2010 5:04PM
I've looked on Google maps and think I can see a way to get to it now, so I'll go back next week.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.