Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Poppy Fields in North West

DilysT e2
3 2 United Kingdom
16 Jul 2012 10:38PM
Does anyone know where there are any poppy fields in or around the Manchester/Stockport/Cheshire area? I would like to photograph some before they come to their end. Any information would be so gratefully received!

Thanks

Dilys

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Hello Dilys

Sadly none, the best poppy fields in proximity to where you live is near Worksop and Chesterfield region. This is due the fact that poppies need alkaline soils to grow and Cheshire is mainly thick clay... not so good for poppy growth as they like in shallow and often disturbed ground. If my memory serves me well I remember there being a superb poppy field near the village of Ashover along the Matlock/Chesterfield road.

Kind regards for poppy rich Andalucia

Geoff
DilysT e2
3 2 United Kingdom
17 Jul 2012 8:27AM
Aww thank you for that Geoff.... guess I'll just have to plant my own! Wink

Dilys
NEWMANP e2
6 1.6k 574 United Kingdom
17 Jul 2012 9:32AM

Quote:Sadly none, the best poppy fields in proximity to where you live is near Worksop and Chesterfield region. This is due the fact that poppies need alkaline soils to grow and Cheshire is mainly thick clay... not so good for poppy growth as they like in shallow and often disturbed ground. If my memory serves me well I remember there being a superb poppy field near the village of Ashover along the Matlock/Chesterfield road.

and as i live right inside this area i can confirm its been pretty poor for poppies in this area this year too. just a few scattered fields but nothing special like a couple of years ago

Phil
JJGEE
9 6.4k 18 England
17 Jul 2012 9:40AM

Quote:i can confirm its been pretty poor for poppies

Same down near Brighton / Lewes
NEWDIGIT 3 401 United Kingdom
17 Jul 2012 12:56PM
IF you find any that are not DROWNED let me know.
Plenty of sites for trees growing out of lakesWinkWink
MeanGreeny e2
9 3.7k England
18 Jul 2012 12:59AM
There's usually a good show along the Ribble Way on the South bank of the Ribble between Penwortham and Longton around Grid Ref SD4828. Not been there lately so I'm unsure as to how good the display is this year. Poppies like newly disturbed soil so why they like the embankment there I don't know.

Park near 'The Dolphin' pub - known locally as the Flying Fish - at Grid SD 45857 25445 and walk North West from there. It's a nice walk even if there aren't any poppies..............
rossd 11 1.1k England
18 Jul 2012 10:41AM
Thanks MeanGreeny, useful info for me as I live approx 12 miles from Penwortham.
MeanGreeny e2
9 3.7k England
18 Jul 2012 10:46AM

Quote:Park near 'The Dolphin' pub - known locally as the Flying Fish - at Grid SD 45857 25445 and walk North West from there. It's a nice walk even if there aren't any poppies..............

Oops, that should say North and then North East along the Ribble Way.

Obviously the map/pedant/punctuation police aren't active on ePz today or I would have been pilloried for such an obvious error Smile
DilysT e2
3 2 United Kingdom
18 Jul 2012 11:17PM
Thanks for that! I'll look into it and hope it's not too late! Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.