Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Poppy Fields in North West

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    DilysT
    DilysT e2 Member 3DilysT vcard United Kingdom
    16 Jul 2012 - 10:38 PM

Does anyone know where there are any poppy fields in or around the Manchester/Stockport/Cheshire area? I would like to photograph some before they come to their end. Any information would be so gratefully received!

Thanks

Dilys

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    16 Jul 2012 - 10:38 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

AndalucianPhotoAdventures

Hello Dilys

Sadly none, the best poppy fields in proximity to where you live is near Worksop and Chesterfield region. This is due the fact that poppies need alkaline soils to grow and Cheshire is mainly thick clay... not so good for poppy growth as they like in shallow and often disturbed ground. If my memory serves me well I remember there being a superb poppy field near the village of Ashover along the Matlock/Chesterfield road.

Kind regards for poppy rich Andalucia

Geoff

DilysT
    17 Jul 2012 - 8:27 AM

Aww thank you for that Geoff.... guess I'll just have to plant my own! Wink

Dilys

NEWMANP
    NEWMANP e2 Member 61587 forum postsNEWMANP vcard United Kingdom574 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Jul 2012 - 9:32 AM

Quote: Sadly none, the best poppy fields in proximity to where you live is near Worksop and Chesterfield region. This is due the fact that poppies need alkaline soils to grow and Cheshire is mainly thick clay... not so good for poppy growth as they like in shallow and often disturbed ground. If my memory serves me well I remember there being a superb poppy field near the village of Ashover along the Matlock/Chesterfield road.

and as i live right inside this area i can confirm its been pretty poor for poppies in this area this year too. just a few scattered fields but nothing special like a couple of years ago

Phil

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96305 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Jul 2012 - 9:40 AM

Quote: i can confirm its been pretty poor for poppies

Same down near Brighton / Lewes

NEWDIGIT
    NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
    17 Jul 2012 - 12:56 PM

IF you find any that are not DROWNED let me know.
    Plenty of sites for trees growing out of lakesWinkWink

MeanGreeny
    18 Jul 2012 - 12:59 AM

There's usually a good show along the Ribble Way on the South bank of the Ribble between Penwortham and Longton around Grid Ref SD4828. Not been there lately so I'm unsure as to how good the display is this year. Poppies like newly disturbed soil so why they like the embankment there I don't know.

Park near 'The Dolphin' pub - known locally as the Flying Fish - at Grid SD 45857 25445 and walk North West from there. It's a nice walk even if there aren't any poppies..............

rossd
    rossd  111061 forum posts England
    18 Jul 2012 - 10:41 AM

Thanks MeanGreeny, useful info for me as I live approx 12 miles from Penwortham.

MeanGreeny
    18 Jul 2012 - 10:46 AM

Quote: Park near 'The Dolphin' pub - known locally as the Flying Fish - at Grid SD 45857 25445 and walk North West from there. It's a nice walk even if there aren't any poppies..............

Oops, that should say North and then North East along the Ribble Way.

Obviously the map/pedant/punctuation police aren't active on ePz today or I would have been pilloried for such an obvious error Smile

DilysT
    18 Jul 2012 - 11:17 PM

Thanks for that! I'll look into it and hope it's not too late! Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.