Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Portable DVD burners - any experience?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Sabreur
Sabreur  9767 forum posts England
10 Aug 2005 - 12:48 AM

Hello

I'm going on safari next month, and am currently considering my options for photo storage.

I have been thinking about getting a stand-alone DVD burner (Delkin, Digi-Magic and Jobo each produce one), but was wondering if anyone had used one.

Main areas of interest are battery life (a couple of the camps we are staying at don't have mains electricity available) and reliability.

Thanks

Robert

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Aug 2005 - 12:48 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

davek
davek  11 United Kingdom
10 Aug 2005 - 6:20 AM

Hi, I went on safari last year and took an X-Drive-Pro for external storage. Had the same issue as you in that none of the camps we used had electricity, but an inverter saved the day. this plugged into the Land Rover cigarette lighter socket and converted the 12v DC to 240v Ac that could then power all the gear. Only used it once in the middle of the week to charge everything up, then ran off batteries the rest of the time.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
10 Aug 2005 - 6:46 AM

That's worth thinking about Dave. Was it a particular kind of invertor or will any 12-240 models do?

Ian

chris.maddock
10 Aug 2005 - 6:58 AM

Just make sure the power output is enough for all you'd want to plug in - including any startup surge power drawn.
Obviously, also make sure the car lighter circuit can handle the load.

KRs
Chris

digicammad
10 Aug 2005 - 7:09 AM

Cheers Kris, what wattage was yours? 150w seems to be the smallest, which sounds adequate for a battery charger.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Robert. In answer to your question, I use a Flashtrax on the basis that I tend to trust hard drives more than DVD/CD burners (also take less space). We are going on safari in a couple of years and I may invest in more memory cards between now and then, copy them to the Flashtrax but not clear them down.

Ian

andytvcams
andytvcams  1110396 forum posts United Kingdom
10 Aug 2005 - 7:13 AM

You can always get the in car charger for the flashtrax.

digicammad
10 Aug 2005 - 7:14 AM

It's also for the camera battery Andy.

chris.maddock
10 Aug 2005 - 8:02 AM

I have a 150W inverter, which is enough for my needs - charging or laptop only. it was a Maplin sale one.
I also have a Flashtrax in-car charger and a Hahnel in-car charger for my Canon batteries.
When I bought my new car in the Spring I had the dealer rewire the cigarette lighter socket so that it's permanent live with its own fuse and 30A cable straight from the battery - that means I can leave batteries on charge when I'm not at the car.

KRs
Chris

digicammad
10 Aug 2005 - 8:05 AM

Thanks Chris. If 150w is enough for a laptop I would think it would be enough for Flashtrax or camera batteries.

Have to get one and have a play.

chris.maddock
10 Aug 2005 - 10:24 AM

Should be fine Ian. My Canon double charger is rated at 32W.

Maplin do a 150W inverter for 30.

KRs
Chris

Sabreur
Sabreur  9767 forum posts England
10 Aug 2005 - 11:55 PM

Thanks for your replies.

I had considered an invertor, but we are taking some internal flights that have fairly low weight limits, so trying not to add too much extra to carry.

Ian - I do keep wavering between a Flashtrax/P2000 or something similar and a DVD burner. Just this nagging worry that if the hard drive fails, then you lose everything.

sabretalon
sabretalon  101918 forum posts United Kingdom
11 Aug 2005 - 12:52 AM

Quote: Just this nagging worry that if the hard drive fails, then you lose everything.

But the same nagging worries will be there for just about anything! Will the camera work, or do I take a spare body, do I need a spare spare? Will the DVD have copied all the data without problems? Will my camera stand up to some pretty heavy chewing from a lion? LOL..;P

We get so paranoid over our equipment failing! The camera manufacturers must love us! We buy a camera from them, then through fear of it breaking down we buy a second camera as a backup! There are not many business areas that have the same going on. You don't buy a second car just in case your first one does not work!

Thing is though, we all do it!

I think that if I did not take my second body with me, that guy called sod and his law would crop up. Do I have faith in my equipment? Has it caused me problems before? Yes I have faith, no it has not caused me problems but I still insist on having at least one backup with me.

kit-monster
kit-monster e2 Member 113685 forum postskit-monster vcard Singapore2 Constructive Critique Points
11 Aug 2005 - 12:57 AM

Flashtrax or P2000 . . . depends if you shoot raw. I don't know what the battery life on the Flashtrax is like but I've copied 26 GB of raw files to the P2000 without recharging.

digicammad
11 Aug 2005 - 12:58 AM

For a once in a lifetime trip I have the same worries, which is why I said I will probably buy more memory cards but still copy everything onto the Flashtrax. :0)

If you are trying to travel light, the Flashtrax/P2000 option is smaller and lighter than a DVD burner and disks.

Ian

digicammad
11 Aug 2005 - 12:58 AM

Quote: Flashtrax or P2000 . . . depends if you shoot raw.

It doesn't actually Ed, they both support raw. Battery life on the P2000 is better I think.

Ian

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.