Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Portable Flash confuses me!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

wotashot
wotashot  102249 forum posts
30 Jun 2006 - 1:07 PM

Ok, not the actual use of the kit - I'll work that out when i get to it.

But what do you need to build a basic system. I'm guessing a head (maybe 2) and batteries - but I've gotta have missed something.

I've been reading up on Lumedyne heads and they seem popular and very portable...

...has anyone got any opinions on any kit they have seen/used?

Jamie

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Jun 2006 - 1:07 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

caister
caister  8
2 Jul 2006 - 5:36 PM

hi jamie just ordered some Elinchrom D-Lite2 Twin Head Kit
from the ep shop, after reading lots of reviews seems like a top notch starter kit, but looks as if ill be waiting a month or so for them as they are out of stock.

sillyconguru
2 Jul 2006 - 5:52 PM

Jamie, you could do it the way Takui Neko does; with a couple of Sigma DG 500 Supers (or Nikon SB-28s, which you can pick up dirt cheap).

wotashot
2 Jul 2006 - 9:46 PM

Just tell me how fella - just tell me how!

sillyconguru
2 Jul 2006 - 9:49 PM

Er... No!

croberts
croberts  102160 forum posts Ireland8 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jul 2006 - 10:14 PM

i use quantams q-flash T4D, with turbo batteries. equivalent to about 150w. recycle is pretty fast, and the auto function is deadly handy when in a rush. its a pricey setup, though.

Unless you need the power, id go with an extra EX flash, and slave it with the one you already have. You could also pick up an old 420ex. works really well with stands and shoot through brollys, and if you need a bit more power, just up the iso.

the big plus with the EX flash setup, is e-ttl. seriously easy and quick.

wotashot
3 Jul 2006 - 8:04 AM

So a 420 and an ST-E2 should do the trick?

I trust you can stick them to lighting stands easily? What is everybody's prefered lighting stand? Manfrotto?

J

deviant
deviant  103024 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jul 2006 - 11:29 AM

I have two set-ups depending what I'm doing.

Two D-Lite2's, reflector, 2 x softbox, manfrotto stands x 2, reflector and stand/grip, snoot, honeycombs, reflectors, brollies. The D-Lite 2 kit provides most of this at an excellent price, it's only the reflectors, snoot, softboxes where extra.

If outdoors or mobile I use:

580EX, 550EX and ST-E2 transmitter. Can stick the flashes on stands if you need to. You get full ETTL functions via ST-E2.

wotashot
3 Jul 2006 - 3:03 PM

Just looking at the prices for the ST-E2/430 setup versus the D-Lite2 setup and for the money and the features you get the Dlite2 seems MUCH better value for money.

Anyone disagree or have any advice?

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023051 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jul 2006 - 3:07 PM

Thing about the D-Lite is it just keeps firing, and firing, and firing...and each burst will be at the same rating as the last.
Priceless...and for the money....a no brainer

deviant
3 Jul 2006 - 3:10 PM

I agree, the D-Lite kit is superb value for money and very well built. Also the results from a D-Lite verus a normal flashgun are far superior I feel. Also you can use all the Elichrom accesories such as snoots, barndoors and grids for better control of the lighting.

An additional advantage with these is they are very accurate and repeatable flash units exposing to within 0.1EV of the setting time after time. A lot of cheaper units do 'random flash' by as much as 2EV in one test I read. This would make consistent results impossible.

Don't forget with D-Lite set-up to factor in the cost of a flashmeter also.

D-Lites do require a mains supply and reasonable space unlike the 580EX/550EX/ST-E2 setup.

wotashot
3 Jul 2006 - 3:21 PM

They do sound excellent.

Can you get batteries for them at all? If so I bet they are a fortune but it would be usefull to know if they produce some.

J

deviant
3 Jul 2006 - 3:33 PM

Not to my knowlege. There are brands like Lumedyne that are 100% portable though...

sillyconguru
3 Jul 2006 - 3:41 PM

Quote: Wotashot - I've been reading up on Lumedyne heads and they seem popular and very portable...

Quote: Deviant - There are brands like Lumedyne that are 100% portable

Grin

takui neko
takui neko  10849 forum posts Spain11 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jul 2006 - 3:47 PM

PW and Nikon SB-28s! :0) Go for them James! If later you need more, buy more...

True they wont fire forever, nor they will they have such fast recycling time, but they are inexpensive and you can take them anywhere, as for light modifiers, easy to make your own...

On the bigger scale tho, Lumedyne, portable ones or the Bowens Portable System....tho price is higher and they are not lightweight, which are the only faults I can find in them.

EDIT: James, check here

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.