Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Portable Media Storage Device

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Alan_Coles
    29 Apr 2009 - 1:42 PM

Good Afternoon,

Later in the year I am planning to take a few weeks away from home and visit some places in Scotland. I am taking my camera and hopefully will be taking lots of pictures. I have a few (5gb) gigabytes of memory cards and will probably buy a few others before I go. I have though been wondering about getting something to transfer full cards onto so I can clear them and re use? Anyone got any advice on the best way to do this? At times I might not have options for electricity so do these devices work straight from the camera (via a usb cable?) to the portable device. Plan to take my Canon 50D and Canon Rebel Xti cameras.

regards
    Alan

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    29 Apr 2009 - 1:42 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ARJones
    ARJones  7103 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Apr 2009 - 2:13 PM

Alan,

There are several portable storage devices which are available. As long as the units are fully charged you do not need electricity - you just put the CF card into the unit and download. Epson do nice units with excellent screens which you can use to view and display but these are quite expensive and can use up more battery life. Jobo also make portable storage devices and some without screens which are good value.

Have a look on the Warehouse Express website and you'll see plenty of portable drives.

Andy

Ade_Osman
    Ade_Osman e2 Member 114484 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Apr 2009 - 2:21 PM

I've a portable storage device myself, it's an Archos unit, however in all honesty, I've found it more cost effective and much more flexible just to buy extra CF cards. I use Dane-Elec 8Gb cards from 7DayShop, although the speed is only 133x, they're plenty fast enough for my needs and they only cost 29. Just an opinion of course.

Ade

SGIBBONS
    SGIBBONS  556 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Apr 2009 - 3:47 PM

Hi Alan

I posed a similar question not so long ago. link

Im going to the Outer Hebridies in 2 weeks and will be taking a Samsung Net book for extra back up from my cards.

Rgds

Samantha

SGIBBONS
    SGIBBONS  556 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Apr 2009 - 3:49 PM

I also use a WD 500gb portable harddrive

Ade_Osman
    Ade_Osman e2 Member 114484 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Apr 2009 - 3:55 PM

As an update, I've just been on 7DayShop's website and they're now knocking out Kingston Elite Pro 133x 8GB CF cards at just 14.99, that's a steal if you ask me and as such I've just ordered a couple.....
    Now you wait I bet some bugger will tell me where I can find em cheaper LOL Sad

Ade

redsnappa
    redsnappa  111901 forum posts United Kingdom
    29 Apr 2009 - 6:11 PM

the cheepest portable storage device is approx 100 (80GB) so you could buy 12 x 8gb cards for that much cash.

I would buy the extra cards.

Alan_Coles
    30 Apr 2009 - 1:09 PM

Many thanks all..... quite fancu the idea of a netbook and have made some enquiries with a friend who has one. I also belive the cheap price of cards cannot be ruled out either. Certainly some opttions to think about.

thanks again.
    Alan

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.