Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Portable Storage - Which to choose

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

SGIBBONS
SGIBBONS  556 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2009 - 10:21 AM

Hi all,

Please could you help. I want to purchase a portable storage device and the 2 I have in mind are Jobo's Giga Vu Pro Extreme or the Epson P-7000 but im not sure which is the best to go for. I was wondering if somebody had either one of these devices and what they think ? Also if they know of compatibility with the Canon 5D Mark 2 ? I heard that the P-7000 might not be good with RAW files from this camera. Im not big on technical jargon so any advice will be really appreciated ! Thanks Sam

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Feb 2009 - 10:21 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

pcheywood
pcheywood  91300 forum posts England
13 Feb 2009 - 10:47 AM

I wouldn't spend my cash on an inflexible storage device nowadays. Have you looked at netbooks, for around half the cost of the storage devices you can get the same size drive with all the flexibility of a laptop.

Have a look at the models from Acer, Asus, and my personal favourite MSI Wind and its clones from Medion and Advent (PC World and Curries).

Paul.

BubbaG2000
13 Feb 2009 - 10:51 AM

Quote: I wouldn't spend my cash on an inflexible storage device nowadays. Have you looked at netbooks, for around half the cost of the storage devices you can get the same size drive with all the flexibility of a laptop.

+1
Netbooks are getting smaller, with a nice wee screen. Erm... I guess Paul said it all!

SGIBBONS
SGIBBONS  556 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2009 - 12:37 PM

Thanks for the replies ! I'd never even heard of netbooks before (you can tell ive just come out of the dark room Smile ). The reason why i was looking at the GIGA and P-7000 was because im going on a photo holiday and i wanted something small and light in my rucksack. Will have a look at the smaller versions of netbooks.

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2009 - 1:04 PM

Netbook, netbook, netbook.

For me last week used a Samsung NC10. 160Gb hard drive, 7 hours battery per charge, way more convenient that an Epson or Jobo. Plus if you are near a wifi you can also collect emails, or upload to ePZ Wink

Bowline
Bowline  728 forum posts England
13 Feb 2009 - 1:23 PM

Now there's a strange coincidence. I was going to ask what they called those 'downloader packages' . (I.e. The gizmo you would take on holiday, so you can clear your card, if you don't have access to a PC.)
I see there is something better now, but is it really worth buying a 'netbook', if all I wish to do is store images? All I want to do is save myself carrying around half a dozen spare cards. (I suppose I could buy half a dozen 4 gig SD cards, which ought to satisfy even a click-happy tog like me!)

So would one of these data storage packages be ok for me? I have three PC's already. Don't really want to buy a laptop/netbook!
Cheers folks
TIA.

Alex

csurry
13 Feb 2009 - 1:27 PM

Netbook with 160Gb cost me £267. Comprative Epson or Jobo tends to be around £449 so I'd say the new netbooks are way better value as well.

If you wanted a laptop with a downloader you had to take both, but now the netbook can satisfy multiple needs. Including have a slightly better screen even if the pixels dimensions are not greatly different.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2009 - 1:27 PM

^^ what she said

Bowline
Bowline  728 forum posts England
16 Feb 2009 - 9:23 AM

Thanks for the replies..
I think on balance, I will just buy a few 4 gig SD cards. Much less space, much less dosh! Smile

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85907 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
10 Apr 2009 - 2:24 PM

Fully agree with Cheryl Wink
Just bought one.
Uninstalled all the crap off it and its a brilliant piece of kit Smile
Not a Samsung but still 160Gb HD for£230.00

Adrian

hellsbells8868
10 Apr 2009 - 2:42 PM

I have a one too, fabulous for carrying around and weighs less than some lenses Wink

Godsend they are.....

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73840 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
10 Apr 2009 - 2:50 PM

Cheryl beet me to it.. Netbook why would you go for anything else..more storage, lighter, better screen, you can do other things (word, excel etc) and they are cheaper, the screen on the Inspiron 9 from Dell is highly rated with better colour rendition than some high end monitors. Oh and you don't need wifi if you get a dongle they connect to the internet via the mobile phone network (3G).

Chrism8
Chrism8  7744 forum posts England13 Constructive Critique Points
10 Apr 2009 - 3:30 PM

Has anyone tried sticking Elements or even CS2 or similar on one, can you ? how successful was it ?

Chris

csurry
10 Apr 2009 - 3:36 PM

Tried CS on mine, but the dialogs do not properly resize for such a small screen. Think the requirements are probably 1024 on longest side and thus on some dialogs such as save for web you can not see all the buttons and you don't get a scroll bar.

Software that allows for smaller screens work fine and you can live with CS issues if you learn some shortcut keys.

Chrism8
Chrism8  7744 forum posts England13 Constructive Critique Points
10 Apr 2009 - 3:39 PM

Thanks Cheryl, how was your device when it came to photo editing, how slow was it ?

Chris

Last Modified By Chrism8 at 10 Apr 2009 - 3:41 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.