Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Portable Storage Drives

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    mikephoto
    11 Apr 2014 - 9:43 AM

Can anyone help, I am looking for a Portable Storage Device so I can copy my Flashcards whilst in 'the field'. I have a Nikon Dreamweaver which has been brilliant and provides a screen too. I know Job used to do one as did Epson but they do not appear available now. I am paranoid about losing images whilst away on a shoot, I can take my Pro Book but it is quite heavy and just another target for theft so I would prefer a Storage Device I can put in my pocket. Does anyone have any knowledge of any current models ?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    11 Apr 2014 - 9:43 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikephoto
    11 Apr 2014 - 10:05 AM

Apologies my current and old device is a Nikon Coolwalker ! Where I got Dreamweaver from I have no idea !

MikeRC
    MikeRC e2 Member 93489 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
    11 Apr 2014 - 10:30 AM

Hi Mike....I have an Epson P-2000 which has seen very little use.

It is indistinguishable from new....I only used it for 2 holidays.
    It's got a 3" screen and comes boxed with a stand/case etc...I'll take 100 for it,.

I'm hoping to be in Chester sometime in the next couple of weeks so if you were anywhere near you could have a look at it for nothing.

...cheers.....Mike

mikehit
    mikehit  56297 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Apr 2014 - 1:19 PM

I have a P-3000 that does not support my new camera - what camera do you have? If MikeRCs P-2000 does not support it please let me know (I'm in Manchester so can also meet up.

rogerfry
    rogerfry e2 Member 8504 forum postsrogerfry vcard United Kingdom
    11 Apr 2014 - 1:29 PM

I don't know how much you're prepared to spend, but these units are excellent.

I've been using the previous version of this for a few years, and have no hesitation in recommending them. They take standard 2.5" drives which are replaceable, so if you ever managed to fill it up you can fit a new drive and store the old one if you want to archive your files.

Amazon also do cheaper units which you might want to look at.

(I have a suspicion that Epson p 2000 can't handle modern raw files.....you might want to check that out)

dmball
    dmball  2 United Kingdom
    11 Apr 2014 - 2:06 PM

I use my Samsung Phone and one of these
    Card Reader

It also allows me to use a WD 500GB external disk to view pictures on my Phone.

Regards
    David

Hugo
    Hugo  9639 forum posts United Kingdom
    11 Apr 2014 - 4:44 PM

While in India for a month I too used my Android - A Nexus 7 (100 for first version) tablet and a USB card reader. Well two actually - I just copied the files from one SD card to a second SD card. It's a bit clunky and seemed to take ages to copy so I left it before going to bed, but works. Plus you can use the tablet to email, do basic edits, GPS, maps etc.
    Depends where your going - I'd never lug a laptop round India with me.
    Phone with Android 4 and USB OTG will go the same thing, just smaller screen.

The Nikon/Epson devices seem to have got out of fashion. Probably better built, but they seem pricey - 300 vs 120 for the Motorola G phone.

Last Modified By Hugo at 11 Apr 2014 - 4:46 PM
    Niknut
    Niknut e2 Member 4547 forum postsNiknut vcard United Kingdom60 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Apr 2014 - 5:54 PM

I would agree with Hugo........a small pocketable tablet (7" ??) might be the answer ?....connect the camera via a micro usb &
    download the images direct to the tablet !!........Smile

mikephoto
    11 Apr 2014 - 10:49 PM

Thank you all for your advice and offers I will read through fully in the morning, your help is appreciated
    Mike

redsnappa
    redsnappa  111911 forum posts United Kingdom
    12 Apr 2014 - 6:57 AM

I use a netbook with Raw therapee installed.

Hugo
    Hugo  9639 forum posts United Kingdom
    12 Apr 2014 - 11:47 AM

Quote: I use a netbook with Raw therapee installed.

Long term this [netbook] is probably easier. 250 or so will get you a new basic model.
    While Android is pretty slick, and the Google photo editor is actually quite decent, it becomes hardwork after a while. You start to wish for a PC, it's just 'easier'..... Buttttttttt I'd never want to lug a netbook round in a backpack in hot humid India for a month. Too much weight/size.

Last Modified By Hugo at 12 Apr 2014 - 11:47 AM
    mikephoto
    12 Apr 2014 - 10:49 PM

Just arrived back home at 1045pm will get some sleep and go through your replies am tomorrow

Once again thanks for the advice

Mike

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.