Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Portaflash? Anyone using them?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    User_Removed
    5 Jul 2008 - 6:56 PM

I am thinking of getting some portaflash 336 heads and stands of ebay as they are reasonably priced second hand. I want them for using on my white background. the questions i have are.

1. they can only be set in 1/4 1/2 3/4 and full power settings. will this cause me problems.

2. does any portaflash light stand fit any portaflash head. I may have to buy them seperatly?

thanks
    james

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    5 Jul 2008 - 6:56 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat
    StrayCat  1014492 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Jul 2008 - 7:02 PM

Is this for people or product shots James?

User_Removed
    5 Jul 2008 - 7:20 PM

Quote: Is this for people or product shots James?

Its for portraits. I have the dlite 2 kit and the one light on the background is not enough as i get drop of in light so just thought i would get some cheap portaflash and use them bare bulb without softboxes as i have a limited amount of space to work in. thanks, james

Garry_Edwards

As you probably already know, Portaflash isn't the best or the most versatile and I hesitate to recommend them - but for your purpose, the limited power adjustment, the very harsh light and the variable colour temperature and output consistency probably won't matter.

HelenO
    HelenO  746 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Jul 2008 - 9:28 PM

James, I use portaflash units and they are fine for my needs. I was thinking of upgrading recently but to be honest I am not sure how I would cope with more sophisticated lighting! LOL I

boony
    boony  7978 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Jul 2008 - 9:35 PM

if they are cheap and you just want a background light buy em but they might not stand up to sustained use

FatHandedChap
    5 Jul 2008 - 11:53 PM

Used my portaflash 336 for years as a background light. Bought them 6 years ago and they are still going fine. Always used them with out softbox, just need careful positioning/barn doors to make sure you don'sget any spill/blowback.

PeteWelshPhotography

Hi mate, I only have one head and a slave flash.. If you go to http://www.petewelsh-photography.co.uk/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=2174 these pictures were taken using that setup with the slave bounced off a reflector. The main lamp was bounced of an umbrella from the right of the picture but a slightly larger umbrella than comes with the kits.. I think the setting was 1/2 but not sure .. they are definately quite harsh though.. I have not used them a lot so it might well be that I do not have them set properly .. I have to add though that I could not get the white background very white.. I think I need one more light... Hope those photos help peter@petewelsh-photography.co.uk if you want to mail me with more questions

Pete

Last Modified By PeteWelshPhotography at 6 Jul 2008 - 12:18 AM
    User_Removed
    6 Jul 2008 - 12:05 PM

Thanks for all the advice. nobody has told me yet if any portaflash head will fit on any portaflash stand. james

boony
    boony  7978 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Jul 2008 - 2:38 PM

i qwould imagine they are a standard fit onto the stands james , dont know for sure though mate , try ringing the manufacturers for a definitive answer

FatHandedChap

It screws on to the threaded spigo - you have to make sure it's the smaller thread (the same size as a tripod thread)

Tony

Talia
    Talia  6
    23 Jul 2008 - 6:06 PM

Hiya, Ive recently started up my own freelance photography business and bought the 299 336V kit from Jessops. Was gutted at first as wish Id have spent the extra on Bowens/Elinchroms. But now am fairly happy with the results. The only thing I will say is that if you can get a heavier duty stand, then DO! The provided stands are so flimsy and when set to their highest, they do tend to fall with the weight of the light. So yes, give Portaflash or Jessops a call and see if you can invest in hardier stands to fit 336vs. If you wanted to check my site out, Ive used the mentioned lights and kit for my Portraiture pics
    www.photographybynatalya.co.uk

Please do post on here if you manage to find any decent stands!

Good luck!

Talia x

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314967 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Jul 2008 - 6:37 PM

They have been around for donkeys years and for good reason, still got one some bought back in the Eighties buried somewhere.

There cheap and reliable, though basic.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.