Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Porthgain/St Davids

2 Sep 2014 11:28AM
Hi all,
I'm off to St Davids in a couple of weeks to try out the new camper van and to do some walking with the dog in the day time, could anyone point me to any good beaches in the area for sunset please? I'm heading to a campsite at Porthgain to set up base camp but don't mind a bit of a drive in the evening for the right spots for a bit of togging.
Many thanks,
Chris.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pj0 2 2 United Kingdom
2 Sep 2014 5:18PM
I haven't done much photography in the area, and haven't been there at sunset, but I think Abereiddi would be worth a look. It's close to Porthgain and quite convenient (car park is close to the sea).

There's a second beach called the Blue Lagoon a short walk along a path. I'm not sure how dog friendly either beach is though, the Blue Lagoon has slate (IIRC) at the shore.

Google Earth can give you the lay of the land.
2 Sep 2014 6:09PM
Thanks Paul I'll be sure to check them out when I get down there.
3 Sep 2014 5:48AM
As you drive in on the A487, there is a small camp ground several miles from St Davids. Right across the road is a nice beach. According to Google, the address is
Newgale Activity Centre
Newgale
Haverfordwest, Dyfed SA62 6AS

If mother nature co-operates, it is possible to get some nice pics there....Smile
3 Sep 2014 8:25AM
Thanks Dale....there's also a pub there which is always a bonus Smile
hobbo e2
3 816 2 England
3 Sep 2014 8:49AM
We had a VW Camper for years.....the best way to holiday in my opinion Wink

I can highly reccomend two sites, both small but both having excellent views, access to shops but not too commercial.

The first is in St Davids itself just above the car park .....there is a tall house with around observation. Gallery on the roof there......cant think of the name of the site though.

The other I do know very well.......TYCANOL FARM ......at Newtown just a few miles from St Davids......is is a private clifftop site with spectacular views.

A footpath leads down to the small town harbour and Shops....... a place that always reminded me of the Seaside town that Rupert Bear went to in his famous Annuals Wink

It would make a great base for a photographer........it is a small site, so a phone call or email exchange before you go would be advised.

Please let us know if you go to either of these sites.

Hobbo
3 Sep 2014 7:55PM
Thanks Cyril,
The site at Newtown looks ideal so I'll stop there on the way down, then I'm planning a few nights at
Coastal Stay Campsite at Porthgain and from there down into St davids.
Glostopcat e2
8 235 2 England
3 Sep 2014 8:49PM
Solva, Whitesands Bay and Marloes are also well worth visiting and are all close by
4 Sep 2014 8:57AM
Many thanks Edmund I'll put them down on my list Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.