Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Portrait Photography

SURYARGHYA 2 4 2 India
6 Sep 2012 4:18PM
In portrait photography does the subject always need to look into the lens? What points should keep in mind when shoot in black and white or in color?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StuartAt e2
10 1.0k 6 England
6 Sep 2012 7:33PM
All depends on the style you are after, I think there are merits in both direct eye contact and also the 'looking away' look. Many portrait photographers like the eye contact as it suggests a connection between the subject and the viewer.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
6 Sep 2012 7:59PM
No.

As a relative newcomer to portrait photography (landscapes, wildlife and still life are my "bags") I am finding that the most important factor in portrait photography is lighting. Even out of doors.

denton2.jpg

That one, of model Laura Slater was taken at a John Denton workshop recently.
SURYARGHYA 2 4 2 India
12 Sep 2012 5:57AM
If only one side of a subject is shown in a pic like this one.. Could it be consider as a portrait?
sam-0277.jpg

779HOB
2 1.1k United Kingdom
12 Sep 2012 6:41AM

Quote:If only one side of a subject is shown in a pic like this one.. Could it be consider as a portrait?

I think so.

por·trait 
noun; a likeness of a person, especially of the face, as a painting, drawing, or photograph.
arhb e2
7 2.5k 68 United Kingdom
12 Sep 2012 10:18AM
In my eyes, portrait photography covers a wide spectrum that is based around photographing people.
It is up to the individual to express themself in a way that they want to, with or without direction of the tog,
and it is the photographers responsibility to capture this individual expression as well as they possibly can.

A good understanding of light will always be helpful, as it will help you to direct your subject in posing at the right angle,
relative to the light direction, whether natural or flash.

HTH.
miptog e2
9 3.5k 61 United Kingdom
12 Sep 2012 2:52PM

Quote:In portrait photography does the subject always need to look into the lens?

NO

Quote:What points should keep in mind when shoot in black and white or in color?

B&W generally works better if it is high contrast

Colours should compliment the face rather than distract
Focus_Man 4 481 631 United Kingdom
12 Sep 2012 4:03PM
The answer is no but there are occasions when the eye contact between the photographer and the sitter is invaluable.
ratedkg 2 6 United States
29 Sep 2012 5:36AM

Quote:No.

As a relative newcomer to portrait photography (landscapes, wildlife and still life are my "bags") I am finding that the most important factor in portrait photography is lighting. Even out of doors.

That one, of model Laura Slater was taken at a John Denton workshop recently.

This is a great shot. I bought a muslin backdrop last year from Aura Backdrop and the design is almost the same. It's good and it's one of my customer's top choices but, of course, the real deal will always different. Wink
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
30 Sep 2012 4:35PM

Quote:In portrait photography does the subject always need to look into the lens? What points should keep in mind when shoot in black and white or in color?

Do both on a shoot. Getting them to look just to the side of the lens is often nice.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
30 Sep 2012 4:40PM

Quote:In portrait photography does the subject always need to look into the lens? What points should keep in mind when shoot in black and white or in color?

No not at all, the main thing is to capture them looking natural and at ease.
hobbo e2
3 892 2 England
30 Sep 2012 5:40PM
A number of subjects might be able to have one eye on the lens and the other anywhere else Wink

Seriously though........I think both looking and not are perfectly acceptable.

Hobbo
30 Sep 2012 10:48PM

Quote:A number of subjects might be able to have one eye on the lens and the other anywhere else Wink

Seriously though........I think both looking and not are perfectly acceptable.

Hobbo

ROTFL!SmileSmileWink
One eye looking at you and one looking for you? GrinGrin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.