Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Portrait Professional

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Eastlands
Eastlands e2 Member 3649 forum postsEastlands vcard Northern Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2013 - 9:47 PM

I currently use Photoshop CS3 as I tend not to fiddle to much with images but what are the feelings about Portrait Professional as an editing / retouching option.

Last Modified By Eastlands at 14 Feb 2013 - 9:49 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
14 Feb 2013 - 9:47 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

hobbo
hobbo e2 Member 3789 forum postshobbo vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2013 - 10:01 PM

If you shoot your portraits in RAW, then post shoot selective sharpening and contrast grading using soft brushes and layers is essential to get the best from your originals?

Hobbo

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315152 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2013 - 10:04 PM

I think its a waste of time Smile

Eastlands
Eastlands e2 Member 3649 forum postsEastlands vcard Northern Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2013 - 10:07 PM

Cyril, thanks.

Paul, I am beginning to think the same, just seeking some feedback before I would invest my dosh. I have been thinking from the trial version the models don't look real.

paulcookphotography

If you use it on the auto modes, it often gives very unreal effects (which is great if you want that, but i'm assuming most dont). To get the best from it, you need to do a lot of manual adjustment and then bringing it back into photoshop to blend some layers. So really it defeats the purpose as most folk with a reasonable grasp of photoshop could do the job 'in-house'

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72190 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2013 - 10:23 PM

I used to use PP, but as Paulcook above alludes to, you can end up with some weird out-takes with auto mode, and if you do spend time with it, you still end up back in photoshop using blending layers.

I would highly recommend this Scott Kelby portrait retouch technique book .

What I like about it, it that it provides some great information and techniques, and sets out about 4 different retouch schedules, depending on how much time you want to spend per image.

Eastlands
14 Feb 2013 - 10:26 PM

Thanks Andrew, it might be worth a look and its cheaper than PP, John.

steveissak
14 Feb 2013 - 10:37 PM

Personally, I think that Protrait Professional can be quite useful under certain circumstances. It does a good job of smoothing the skin colors and textures, and does wonders if you want to impress old ladies with your photog skills.

monstersnowman
14 Feb 2013 - 11:06 PM

It's like PS and HDR, alcohol, fatty food, etc ... Fine if you don't overuse it .....

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53577 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
15 Feb 2013 - 9:24 AM

I've PP (v10 i think) but feel that your stuck with its sliders and don't really learn any of the selective area techniques of PS, most of the great work i've seen with others is done by PS. Also my copy only does Jpegs and facial areas - i've not reloaded it yet on windows 8 and not used it for over a year. If i had a whole load of spotty teenager head shot images to polish then I'd probably try getting it going again, but back the sliders off - that said it can sometimes be pretty good.

sausage
sausage  10234 forum posts United Kingdom
15 Feb 2013 - 9:39 AM

I have just upgraded to v11 from v9 (well it was only 13 quid) probably the most useful thing is altering the expressions - slight smile, larger eyes etc. As long as you don't overdo things - like skin smoothing for instance, it is fine and quick.

Pete

MikeA
MikeA  91166 forum posts England
15 Feb 2013 - 2:37 PM

All the examples I have seen end up with plastic skin. Wink

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72190 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
15 Feb 2013 - 3:13 PM

Quote: All the examples I have seen end up with plastic skin. Wink

Which is perfect if your doing a robot concept image Wink

Andy_Cundell
15 Feb 2013 - 3:19 PM

Portrait Pro is Very Very good. Grin. We can't all afford to pay supermodels with flawless skin to pose for us and the photo's we take of people, we want them to be just perfect for that person and make them look good.

If you learn how to use it properly and actually read what to do (I am on V10) and not just bang it in auto, you can have some stunning results. I also think the results in RAW are much better than JPEG so opted for the studio edition. The results on the Port Proff website are obviously going to be extreme so they can show you exactly what it can cope with.

As with all 'touch up' software, there is a time and a place to use it, you will not use it on every photo you take, but I am very glad I purchased it. Even the smallest of changes in a portrait can make the subject look really special, and at the end of the day, that's what we do, is't it?

There are a few little touches I would like to see and have passed them on to the company.

Go buy it and your subjects will love you forever!!!

Andy Grin

Last Modified By Andy_Cundell at 15 Feb 2013 - 3:21 PM
MikeA
MikeA  91166 forum posts England
15 Feb 2013 - 3:38 PM

Quote: .........................................

Go buy it and your subjects will love you forever!!!

Andy Grin

My subjects are mostly landscape and general wildlife so I think I'll pass on your suggestion :=))

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.