Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Portraits - what are you trying to achieve ?

ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
17 Nov 2012 9:53AM

Quote:What helps achieve you goal of more sales?

Simply put: Variety, Fun, Quality Images, Quality Products and a reasonable sales patter. The sales pitch is always the hardest part I find, I enjoy taking the photographs, being creative and getting people to relax and show their personalities.

Paul

I'm with you there Paul - hate the sales part, not entirely sure why... people do actually WANT prints and stuff

I try to package it up before we even start - get them to choose the print sizes in advance and get a price for them that way, so there's not that huge shock when they see how much they are going to spend....

then again, a fiend paid about 1/2 for 3 of my canvases that he did for 1 Venture canvas a few years ago - they really know how to screw money out of people.... though the Leeds one has moved out of its prime location to North St. so maybe they are not doing so well at the mo.

never heard of a "mood board" Andrew - sounds interesting

When shooting that blonde geodrie lass I tried to get some reaction from her - she's mad into cats, so got her thinking about that for a while, all smiley, then told her to imagine there's a knock on the door... it your neighbour holding your dead cat - it's been run over.... that changed her expression pretty fast lol

The shoot yesterday was good - real character -mg-9961.jpg

not finished editing this yet, but I'd set up a couple of lights and Jack was talking to John - so very little direct eye contact all session really. The sky was pretty cool so was going for something a bit dramatic

Actually - here's John with his Movember beard.... exactly the same light setup

-mg-9968.jpg

I got natural light shots...

in cafe/shop drinking coffee and looking at belgian beers
sat inside a sculpture talking and making hand gestures
waking around Dock street - full body, blurred backgrounds mainly

With flash....
White wall studio look
Black wall studio look
the shots above
Shots looking down a street with Jack in the foreground (like a vanishing point)
jack stood in a bricked up window (don't ask.....)
jack against a brick wall.

So loads and loads of fun to do, loads of variety for Jack and hopefully I get to build him a website using them and make a bit more cash...

Love days like those.... just spending time with interesting folk who are up for getting creative

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

arhb e2
7 2.5k 68 United Kingdom
17 Nov 2012 10:49AM
I think the mood board is what's used to convey from one creative mind to all those involved, as many aspects of the concept as possible through images and text;
Hair styling and makeup ideas/influences -
poses and expressions -
Location and or setting -
Film/TV/Advertizing influences

The main issue I have with this idea is the time it can take to put all this info together,
although if it was a paid job, it could be accounted for.
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
17 Nov 2012 11:01AM
I can see how a few of my shoots would have benefitted from one.... preferably not written by me though, should be the client or a creative director
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
17 Nov 2012 5:25PM
If you take portraits of the dead, what sort of photographer would you class yourself as, I see its making a come back.
arhb e2
7 2.5k 68 United Kingdom
17 Nov 2012 5:53PM

Quote:If you take portraits of the dead, what sort of photographer would you class yourself as, I see its making a come back.

Something Paul, that I think you would be dead good at....
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
17 Nov 2012 5:59PM
I`d be able to call myself a dead photographer Smile
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
17 Nov 2012 6:00PM
There's a spare room at the mortuary at Jimmy's in Leeds now - someone with the same name used to frequent it - you could stop there
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
17 Nov 2012 6:18PM
Smile

I can remember watching something on youtube, the actor who played Victor Meldrew was talking about it, can`t find it now.

These were the couple he was talking to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xQFrvd3OLA&feature=related
arhb e2
7 2.5k 68 United Kingdom
17 Nov 2012 6:21PM
I can see this one going off topic ..
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
17 Nov 2012 6:26PM
The threads about portraits and what your trying to achieve, its not off subject is it Smile
User_Removed 7 736 4
17 Nov 2012 10:13PM

Quote:I can see how a few of my shoots would have benefitted from one.... preferably not written by me though, should be the client or a creative director

Hi Ade, they're (mood boards) visual not verbal and you're right, it would come from the creative team if you'd been commissioned. As I come from an advertising background, I occasionally put together a mood board for shoots where the client can't easily verbalise what they want in visual terms/are at a point in their thinking where this helps in stimulating thought/discussion, and I am the only point of contact/there's no agency in between. It does take extra time but nothing like the extra time of a reshoot if it's not done!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.