Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Portraiture Competition

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jul 2010 - 6:56 PM

Looking at the Portraiture Competition winners and shortlisters.
Plenty of rather impressive entries. Lots of them I don't remember seeing in the gallery before. So, I thought I would check out their PFs, as I must have missed them before.
But a large percentage of them don't even have any photo in their PF, and that makes me disappointed as to why they haven't uploaded any....Sad
I have no issue as to they joined to enter the competition. I just wish they would spend some time here uploading their impressive stuff.

Last Modified By Coleslaw at 7 Jul 2010 - 6:58 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Jul 2010 - 6:56 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012491 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jul 2010 - 7:06 PM

Quote: Plenty of rather impressive entries.

Just had a look, they are indeed.

Quote: I have no issue as to they joined to enter the competition. I just wish they would spend some time here uploading their impressive stuff.

Agree with that too.

redsnappa
redsnappa  111875 forum posts United Kingdom
7 Jul 2010 - 7:16 PM

Quote: a large percentage of them don't even have any photo in their PF

Its the clique effect, when people see average photos getting more votes that their good photos because mates are voting for their mates photos it does not go down to well.
I think most people who enter photos to the gallery expect fairness, Fairness in the gallery no longer exists on this site.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jul 2010 - 7:32 PM

Quote: Its the clique effect

Can't say I agree.
I think they just join to enter the competition, as simple as, doubt they even spend time looking through the gallery or readers choice gallery.

SuziBlue
SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jul 2010 - 7:39 PM

"Young cattle handler" is just amazingly beautiful.

User_Removed
7 Jul 2010 - 7:45 PM

actually its a pretty good point Cole, it would be interesting to know if any of the winners are pro's or semi pros as well. One of the stipulations for all the comps is that you are not allowed to upload a shot that has been awarded an HC/EC generally so if you have pros/semi pros that haven't uploaded any work to the site other than to enter comps then you are instantly at a disadvantage somewhat i think.

KevSB
KevSB  101387 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jul 2010 - 7:50 PM

Some peaple enjoy competitions and become members purely for that reason, In there eyes thay have no reason to post on here, Its not encouraging for active members but its just another way to use the site, They make the numbers up so sponsers give prizes, I doubt it has anything to do with "cliques" which gets the blame for everything on this site.

Take a look at dcm comp sometime, load of pictures from the far east are entered and do well from peaple who live there and professionally enter comps around the world. Like i said just another user using the site to there own requirements, I dont see how it could ever be changed

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jul 2010 - 7:57 PM

RedEyes has made a similar point to one I made last month re the competition. If you are an active member then much of what could be considered to be your best work can automatically be excluded. Whereas as an outsider who does not post to the normal gallery none of your work is excluded from consideration. We handicap some of the best work of our members by making it ineligible.

I can see why the rule was introduced, but if you knew a competition was coming up on a particular theme and you had a cracking shot would you or should you not upload it to the general gallery because if it got an EC or HC you would not be able to enter it? And I am sure in many peoples eyes that would include similar shots for fear of being accused of being "tipped off".

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012491 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jul 2010 - 7:59 PM

Quote: One of the stipulations for all the comps is that you are not allowed to upload a shot that has been awarded an HC/EC generally so if you have pros/semi pros that haven't uploaded any work to the site other than to enter comps then you are instantly at a disadvantage somewhat i think.

very good point.

Coleslaw
7 Jul 2010 - 8:00 PM

Hmmm... I didn't even know that rule existed until now!

Quote: In the interest of fairness, images that have been uploaded onto ePHOTOzine and received either Highly Commended or Editor's Choice awards will not be eligible to win. Therefore, please do not enter any 'award' photos into competitions.

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jul 2010 - 8:04 PM

Another question of course could be how do you know that each new member that joins for a competition is indeed a different individual? Wink

You could create a number of IDs and enter loads of times Grin

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014199 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jul 2010 - 8:14 PM

Two completely different ID numbers come with my internet plan.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014199 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jul 2010 - 8:15 PM

But then, I'm not much of a threat to the competitors.Smile

User_Removed
7 Jul 2010 - 8:40 PM

Quote: RedEyes has made a similar point to one I made last month re the competition. If you are an active member then much of what could be considered to be your best work can automatically be excluded. Whereas as an outsider who does not post to the normal gallery none of your work is excluded from consideration. We handicap some of the best work of our members by making it ineligible.

I can see why the rule was introduced, but if you knew a competition was coming up on a particular theme and you had a cracking shot would you or should you not upload it to the general gallery because if it got an EC or HC you would not be able to enter it? And I am sure in many peoples eyes that would include similar shots for fear of being accused of being "tipped off".

Thanks Cheryl you made the point far better than me Smile

JJGEE
JJGEE  96097 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jul 2010 - 10:07 PM

Quote: Hmmm... I didn't even know that rule existed until now!

Well, I suppose you have to say that, would not you ?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.