Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Portraiture Competition

Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
7 Jul 2010 6:56PM
Looking at the Portraiture Competition winners and shortlisters.
Plenty of rather impressive entries. Lots of them I don't remember seeing in the gallery before. So, I thought I would check out their PFs, as I must have missed them before.
But a large percentage of them don't even have any photo in their PF, and that makes me disappointed as to why they haven't uploaded any....Sad
I have no issue as to they joined to enter the competition. I just wish they would spend some time here uploading their impressive stuff.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

answersonapostcard e2
10 12.6k 15 United Kingdom
7 Jul 2010 7:06PM

Quote:Plenty of rather impressive entries.
Just had a look, they are indeed.

Quote:I have no issue as to they joined to enter the competition. I just wish they would spend some time here uploading their impressive stuff.
Agree with that too.
redsnappa 12 1.9k United Kingdom
7 Jul 2010 7:16PM

Quote:a large percentage of them don't even have any photo in their PF

Its the clique effect, when people see average photos getting more votes that their good photos because mates are voting for their mates photos it does not go down to well.
I think most people who enter photos to the gallery expect fairness, Fairness in the gallery no longer exists on this site.
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
7 Jul 2010 7:32PM

Quote:Its the clique effect

Can't say I agree.
I think they just join to enter the competition, as simple as, doubt they even spend time looking through the gallery or readers choice gallery.
SuziBlue 12 16.2k 10 Scotland
7 Jul 2010 7:39PM
"Young cattle handler" is just amazingly beautiful.
User_Removed 7 485 13 England
7 Jul 2010 7:45PM
actually its a pretty good point Cole, it would be interesting to know if any of the winners are pro's or semi pros as well. One of the stipulations for all the comps is that you are not allowed to upload a shot that has been awarded an HC/EC generally so if you have pros/semi pros that haven't uploaded any work to the site other than to enter comps then you are instantly at a disadvantage somewhat i think.
KevSB 10 1.4k 5 United Kingdom
7 Jul 2010 7:50PM
Some peaple enjoy competitions and become members purely for that reason, In there eyes thay have no reason to post on here, Its not encouraging for active members but its just another way to use the site, They make the numbers up so sponsers give prizes, I doubt it has anything to do with "cliques" which gets the blame for everything on this site.

Take a look at dcm comp sometime, load of pictures from the far east are entered and do well from peaple who live there and professionally enter comps around the world. Like i said just another user using the site to there own requirements, I dont see how it could ever be changed
csurry
12 9.2k 92
7 Jul 2010 7:57PM
RedEyes has made a similar point to one I made last month re the competition. If you are an active member then much of what could be considered to be your best work can automatically be excluded. Whereas as an outsider who does not post to the normal gallery none of your work is excluded from consideration. We handicap some of the best work of our members by making it ineligible.

I can see why the rule was introduced, but if you knew a competition was coming up on a particular theme and you had a cracking shot would you or should you not upload it to the general gallery because if it got an EC or HC you would not be able to enter it? And I am sure in many peoples eyes that would include similar shots for fear of being accused of being "tipped off".
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.6k 15 United Kingdom
7 Jul 2010 7:59PM

Quote:One of the stipulations for all the comps is that you are not allowed to upload a shot that has been awarded an HC/EC generally so if you have pros/semi pros that haven't uploaded any work to the site other than to enter comps then you are instantly at a disadvantage somewhat i think.
very good point.
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
7 Jul 2010 8:00PM
Hmmm... I didn't even know that rule existed until now!

Quote:In the interest of fairness, images that have been uploaded onto ePHOTOzine and received either Highly Commended or Editor's Choice awards will not be eligible to win. Therefore, please do not enter any 'award' photos into competitions.
csurry
12 9.2k 92
7 Jul 2010 8:04PM
Another question of course could be how do you know that each new member that joins for a competition is indeed a different individual? Wink

You could create a number of IDs and enter loads of times Grin
StrayCat e2
10 15.0k 2 Canada
7 Jul 2010 8:14PM
Two completely different ID numbers come with my internet plan.
StrayCat e2
10 15.0k 2 Canada
7 Jul 2010 8:15PM
But then, I'm not much of a threat to the competitors.Smile
User_Removed 7 485 13 England
7 Jul 2010 8:40PM

Quote:RedEyes has made a similar point to one I made last month re the competition. If you are an active member then much of what could be considered to be your best work can automatically be excluded. Whereas as an outsider who does not post to the normal gallery none of your work is excluded from consideration. We handicap some of the best work of our members by making it ineligible.

I can see why the rule was introduced, but if you knew a competition was coming up on a particular theme and you had a cracking shot would you or should you not upload it to the general gallery because if it got an EC or HC you would not be able to enter it? And I am sure in many peoples eyes that would include similar shots for fear of being accused of being "tipped off".

Thanks Cheryl you made the point far better than me Smile
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
7 Jul 2010 10:07PM

Quote:Hmmm... I didn't even know that rule existed until now!

Well, I suppose you have to say that, would not you ?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.