Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

POSSIBLE VIRUS

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    bikerbob
    bikerbob  12173 forum posts
    29 Mar 2011 - 4:46 PM

Hi there
    Have just received an email supposed to be from United Parcels Service of America telling me that I will receive my parcel in about 3days it gives a tracking number and a notification number also an attachment to download. Since I have not ordered anything from America I did not download the attachment but rang UPS in the UK they know of the scam and said it is not genuine do not open the attachment as it will probably contain a virus but to delete the email which I have done. The email address was infosec7@ups.com

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    29 Mar 2011 - 4:46 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318434 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Mar 2011 - 4:47 PM

yes avoid these and any other unexpected emails that appear with zip attachments.

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53537 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Mar 2011 - 5:00 PM

There are many such scams out there and as email can be worldwide catching the crooks can be hard. Also look out for people asking you to call a specific number which they have given you, sometimes it can be much more expensive than a standard call.

As always keep your antivirus upto date and don't trust strangers who seem too good to be true.

Thanks for the warning Smile

Cheers,
    Stuart

tomcat
    tomcat e2 Member 85867 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Mar 2011 - 8:02 PM

Quote: and don't trust strangers who seem too good to be true.

I did once!

Been together now, over twentyone yearsTongue

Kris_Dutson
    29 Mar 2011 - 9:31 PM

Very goodSmile

PhotoMorph
    29 Mar 2011 - 9:37 PM

I seem to be getting this email up to 3 times a day, is there anyway to stop it being received, apart from entering all the random email addresses that it uses.

Jestertheclown
    29 Mar 2011 - 9:41 PM

Quote: I seem to be getting this email up to 3 times a day, is there anyway to stop it being received, apart from entering all the random email addresses that it uses.

If it's using the same title or a keyword therein, can you not set a filter to block it using that?

Jester.

PhotoMorph
    29 Mar 2011 - 9:49 PM

will have a look thanks, dont really like filtering keywords beyond the obvious foul ones incase a legitimate email gets blocked, thanks though.

Mark

Jestertheclown
    29 Mar 2011 - 9:52 PM

That's true and I had thought of that.
    I was thinking that perhaps there was something more peculiar to these particular emails that wouldn't ordinarily crop up.

tomcat
    tomcat e2 Member 85867 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Mar 2011 - 9:56 PM

Quote: Very good

Was thenSmile

Still isGrin
    ..and hopefully for many years to comeTongue

pabloisme
    pabloisme  4565 forum posts England
    30 Mar 2011 - 9:46 AM

just fell in from the grumpy forum

GET MAILWASHER free avg free or avira free spybot also free

why's everyone happy here?

Grampy
    Grampy  4507 forum posts England71 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Mar 2011 - 1:37 PM

You could always open it on someone elses computer Wink

BigRick
    BigRick  82085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Mar 2011 - 9:43 PM

if you are with Bt Yahoo it scan attachments and finds the virus and deletes the attachment for you.... as it has on the UPS mail i have had several times.

But then , if it is an attachment, and you dont know the person that sent it to you, then basic internet rules of DONT OPEN IT should apply anyway.

User_Removed
    1 Apr 2011 - 7:43 PM

Two golden rules:

1. Never click on any link in an e-mail, no matter how much you trust the sender. Always right-click the link, left-click on "save link location", paste into Notepad and then review it. If you still trust it, copy it from Notepad and paste it into the address field of Firefox.

2. Never, ever, ever click on a zip file or pdf file sent with an e-mail. Full stop.

The latest malware seems to be a perverted virus that pretends to do a system scan on your PC, then tells you that you have umpteen viruses, trojans and cookies and then suggests you should buy their anti-virus package. Of course there is no such package but the b@st@rds have your credit card details by then. The virus itself is quite easy to expunge but you are going to spend hours sorting out your credit card.

Jestertheclown

Quote: The latest malware seems to be a perverted virus that pretends to do a system scan on your PC, then tells you that you have umpteen viruses, trojans and cookies

Hardly the latest LF. That old chestnut's been doing the rounds for years.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.