Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

POTW

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

mikeyham
mikeyham  8 Scotland
22 Aug 2013 - 1:20 PM

Although I love this site, I am still left a little bemused by the attitude of some or should I dare say a lot. We have a POTW winner. Who when I voted had 50 votes... But now several day's later only has 65 votes. I do not know the photographer in any way but thought his image to be something else. I know a couple of professional photographers and they were telling me that the jealousy in photography is rife. I tend to find if people spend all day voting and commenting on images it helps boost their own ratings. I am by no way an accomplished photographer but I would like to think a VOTE is on the merits of the shot... Have a think!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Aug 2013 - 1:20 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122305 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
22 Aug 2013 - 1:26 PM

Thanks for that. I had a good look at that image and thought it was terrific. I then wandered off without leaving my vote. Not good, but now corrected.

KevSB
KevSB  101410 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
22 Aug 2013 - 1:26 PM

You assume that everyone likes it as much as yourself, I personally liked it but some will feel its more Photoshop than original image and over processed so don't feel its quite that good, as I said I like it but no more than many that are loaded up here. You also have to consider a lot will not see the front page so wont even know what the potw is.

Jestertheclown
22 Aug 2013 - 1:36 PM

Quote: I would like to think a VOTE is on the merits of the shot...

. . . oh dear.

mikeyham
mikeyham  8 Scotland
22 Aug 2013 - 1:40 PM

Sorry but I will not get into an argument over this but if you look at statistics on POTW you will see that on a Monday votes drop off when you win. Yes I did like it but look at my original statement, thats the point I'm making.

Jestertheclown
22 Aug 2013 - 1:49 PM

I've no idea how the POTW is selected but I do know that the voting system is intrinsically flawed so consequently the number of votes an image (any image) garners is in no way relevant to the merits of that image.

Gundog
Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
22 Aug 2013 - 1:51 PM

I just come on to this site for this chatroom forum. Not interested in posting my own photographs or voting on anyone else's.

Horses for courses.

franken
franken e2 Member 123172 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
22 Aug 2013 - 2:20 PM

I looked at it before it was pow and liked it but not enough to comment or vote.

Everyone has their own likes and tastes in photography and any art.

As it's now pow I still don't feel inclined to vote or comment on it.

I don't think jealousy comes into it really and it certainly doesn't with me.

I would say that I agree and like over 90% percent of pow's but this one did nothing for me.

Ken

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72328 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
22 Aug 2013 - 2:27 PM

This seems to suggest that 'if' an image is chosen for POTW, then viewers should change their mind as to whether they like the image because someone else thinks it's good.
I have the same feeling when I've received EC/HC's - there is a boost in voting because someone else deems the image to be of a certain standard, so *some* viewers then think, 'Oh it must be good then!', and click it.

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 44029 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway26 Constructive Critique Points
22 Aug 2013 - 2:42 PM

Quote: I've no idea how the POTW is selected

Here's how the EC's are chosen. The POTW is then chosen by Pete from these.

Malc

Last Modified By saltireblue at 22 Aug 2013 - 2:42 PM
saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 44029 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway26 Constructive Critique Points
22 Aug 2013 - 2:43 PM

Quote: ... Not interested in posting my own photographs or voting on anyone else's.

Horses for courses.

Out of interest, where can we view your images?

Malc

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315605 forum posts United Kingdom
22 Aug 2013 - 3:24 PM

Quote: Sorry but I will not get into an argument over this

and yet you post your point of view on a public forum ?

Quote: but if you look at statistics on POTW you will see that on a Monday votes drop off when you win. Yes I did like it but look at my original statement, thats the point I'm making.

Most photos votes drop off with time, I'm sure. Not everyone likes every POTW, I certainly don't. You're reading too much into it.

StuartAt
StuartAt e2 Member 91034 forum postsStuartAt vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
22 Aug 2013 - 3:50 PM

It is somewhat ironic that I find myself doing something that I found irritating a few years ago. I very rarely visit the public gallery part of this site now, as I don't have the time and rarely post myself these days (a few years back I religously posted every day and made a point of going through the first 10 pages of the gallery). Nowadays, I have my 'connections' and tend to only vote or comment on them. This puts me in the category of those who only vote on certain photographers, as opposed to the photos that they like.

POTW sometimes draws my attention purely because it is on the front page, and sometimes I make that photographer a favourite. But not every time.

Why should a photograph (or photographer) receive extra attention purely because it is POTW. I don't understand the OP logic - if we just judge a picture on its own merit, then surely the POTW shouldn't be displayed on the front page of EPZ and be left to fade into obscurity like so many other excellent images (this isn't a criticism by the way!).

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72393 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
22 Aug 2013 - 4:35 PM

It's like you might need something to help you discover more photos that you might like....

lawbert
lawbert  71720 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
22 Aug 2013 - 5:34 PM

POTW is simply one individuals opinion (Pete)
And everyone else on the site has thier own opinion on an image and can vote, comment or if e2 give a User Award
Its seems pretty simple to meTongue But then I only vote on what likeWink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.