Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Power Play

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    cuffit
    cuffit  7180 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Mar 2010 - 7:05 PM

It is said that if you are thinking of buying a very expensive car you shouldn't be worried by the price of petrol. So buying an expensive camera should mean that the cost of batteries should not be an issue - but then I did buy an expensive (for me) Canon camera and the price of a new LP-E6 can be found at 77, less in some places and the replica market is up and running but their batteries may not display the battery details (!) or the 'battery life remaining' icon. By now, I bet owners of other makes are giggling into their favourite tiple with tears rolling down their cheeks and wondering at my naivity. Perhaps my camera will relish knowing the battery's number, or perhaps the gold terminal connections, hand rolled by nymphs and transported to UK in Singapore Airlines business class have added to the costs, but the price is a bit rich (sic). I have bought a (reputable) duplicate and the charger (it doesn't fit the Canon) has a car charger as well; which the Canon doesn't. I am sure the price will drop (as will the voltage) and understand 'early adopter' price tactics, barriers to entry and all that; but Canon are taking the mickey, surely, at 77 squid. Oh well, rant over - it is a great camera, so musn't grumble - too much. Chris

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    16 Mar 2010 - 7:05 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Mar 2010 - 7:40 PM

Keep your fingers crossed that your bargain battery does not damage your camera in anyway......Sad

If it does, You may find that your warranty will be void, Unless you can prove it was the Canon battery that damaged it.....Smile

I do agree makers brand batteries ( and accessories for that matter ) can be a little steep in price, But at least you know exactly what your getting, In most cases better quality items.

Wink

RogBrown
    RogBrown  73006 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Mar 2010 - 8:32 PM

Forgive my naivite here, but how can a battery damage a camera? Surely, either the thing provides power or it doesn't? Or is there more to it than that? I bought a cheapo battery for my Sony A300 from HK for about $12 &it works fine.

andytvcams
    andytvcams  1210396 forum posts United Kingdom
    16 Mar 2010 - 8:36 PM

Emmm what was the question..

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Mar 2010 - 8:37 PM

You should have checked the price of battery before you bought the camera.

Granted, it is expensive for a battery. But with the battery life provided, I think it is fine.

I personally wouldn't put something else in my camera.

cuffit
    16 Mar 2010 - 11:45 PM

Cameracat, the battery was bought from a UK Canon dealer, the same one that sold the camera, the battery is marked Canon-compatable and I double checked with staff; have used non-Canon batteries before and they give as good as Canon but I know the LP-E6 has more to it than your standard battery although I have yet to determine the benefit against the cost - perhaps it is the power required. Andy, there was no question, is there supposed to be, it was just a light-hearted rant about high pricing of an accessory? Coleslaw, I suppose so but its a bit like suggesting that you should check the price of the battery when you buy a car - a service yes. Chris

strawman
    strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Mar 2010 - 12:06 AM

Quote: Forgive my naivite here, but how can a battery damage a camera? Surely, either the thing provides power or it doesn't?

If they go wrong they can overheat, and that tends to damage the item they are in. Sony being one of the major manufacturers who triggered re-calls of a few lap top's (Apple plus PC) and also some Nikon camera batteries.

I would be more worried about the 3rd party charger. I bought a simple car inverter so I can re-charge phones, camera etc if I need to.

Last Modified By strawman at 17 Mar 2010 - 12:09 AM
    JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53667 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Mar 2010 - 7:25 AM

rant with you, over priced accessories are almost stealing from us. And many manufacturers prove they know this by their expensive charges, voided warrenty's and 'chipped' products. My 3rd party canon batteries have more capacity than the origionals and allow me to spend a whole day enjoying my canon camera, and allow some spare cash for a lens.

Geraint
    Geraint  8715 forum posts Wales34 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Mar 2010 - 8:29 AM

My 3rd party (7dayshop?) batteries - 2 in my 40d battery grip - were bought at the same time as the camera and have been used much more than the Canon battery that came with the camera. They last longer than the Canon, and at about 5 each there was no way that I could consider the extortionate prices of the genuine ones.

collywobles
    17 Mar 2010 - 8:35 AM

Quote: I do agree makers brand batteries ( and accessories for that matter ) can be a little steep in price, But at least you know exactly what your getting, In most cases better quality items.

Absolutely -- using non branded accesories like batteries, flashguns etc is taking a risk - albeit it might be a small risk but if it screws your camera up then you cant be surprised. The quality of these items cannot be up to the branded goods level. My advice is get the branded goods and be completely satisfied in the quality and that they are fully functional and compatible..

Some of the cheap batteries all have the same inside with just a different case - so how can that be good for expensive camera's.

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Mar 2010 - 8:48 AM

Quote: Coleslaw, I suppose so but its a bit like suggesting that you should check the price of the battery when you buy a car

Nope, as you don't buy a spare one for your car nor you need it immediately. But yes, you should check the insurance and the road tax.

cuffit
    17 Mar 2010 - 6:16 PM

Well the camp is divided and I agree both sides: I would rather Canon batteries but the price is well over the top (in my view); I am glad others thought so as well. Coleslaw, I take your point but didn't really want to fence with you on that - I started it I suppose LOL. I can see why manufacturers (Canon/Nikon etc) want to supply the batteries for very good reason but it seems they are more intent to restrict competition and keep prices high; why not just match the price of competitors - I would then buy Canon every time. Chris

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.