Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Praktica BC1

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    irishmichelle
    21 Nov 2011 - 10:06 PM

Hi everyone!
    I'm a complete beginner at proper photography. I recently was given a Praktica BC1 camera and I have absolutely no idea how to use it really. I've never really used a film camera and would appreciate any advice anyone can give me!
    Thanks,
    Michelle

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    21 Nov 2011 - 10:06 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikesavage
    mikesavage  12239 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Nov 2011 - 12:07 AM

OMG, where to start! Assuming that the Praktica came with an instruction book, you'd be well advised to read that thoroughly if you haven't already done so. If it didn't come with an instruction book, there must be somewhere on the 'net that you can download one.

You say that you've "never really used a film camera", so does that mean you've used a digital one? If so, you must already have some idea of what photography involves. One important difference is that the Praktica is a manual focus camera, so you'll have to twist the focusing ring on the lens to get the image sharp in the viewfinder before taking each picture. Also when you load, say, an ISO 100 film, you're stuck with that film speed for the whole 24 or 36 exposures on that film; you can't change ISO setting from one shot to another the way you can with a digital camera.

I could go on for longer, but if you have any specific questions or problems, you could always post them on here!

bill777
    bill777 e2 Member 11163 forum postsbill777 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Nov 2011 - 8:27 AM

Given that the BC1 is actually still working, they had a failure rate of around 50%, it could produce some pretty decent results. As mentioned, it is a manual focus, aperture priority auto with manual over-ride. If you have never used an slr before then it will take a little getting used too but worth a punt for sure.

With a fresh battery, open the back of the camera and operate the shutter release as it was generally the shutter blind that failed. Pop a film in and have a go. You can get a manual online if you don't have one and this site will give you some technical spec'.

Bill

66tricky
    66tricky  7742 forum posts Scotland
    22 Nov 2011 - 11:11 AM

Here's the manual online

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.