Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Pre-wedding postprocessing

Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
10 Apr 2012 9:01AM
Just after some opinions and suggestions.
I have just done some pre-wedding shots for a couple of friends last weekend, 2 - 3 days, in different locations.
I will be doing more with them in different locations again next month.
I am just wondering if I should process them all the same, or whatever I think look best (for example. some cross processing, some not, etc etc).
Cheers.

Cole

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
10 Apr 2012 9:05AM
Why not check with the couple? Show them a few of each and ask them. Otherwise you could decide to do all cross processed and they may have preferred all conventional processed (or vice versa)
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
10 Apr 2012 9:07AM
I am not going to do all cross processed, Pete, maybe just those I see fit.
They have seen all unprocessed raw files, and they are happy with what they see.
Still, I need to get them processed.
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
10 Apr 2012 9:09AM
Same advice. If I ever do anything that deviates from the normal file I will ask the client first whether they like the processing style before continuing.
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
10 Apr 2012 9:15AM
Okie dokie, ta....Smile
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
10 Apr 2012 9:22AM
Black & White prints always look good in a wedding album so I guess a few for the pre-wedding would do so as well.
Perhaps set up specific shots with B&W in mind.
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
10 Apr 2012 9:25AM
Ah yes, there will be a few B&W too.
From normal colour to B&W feels quite ok.
But from normal colour to cross processing to B&W seem quite a bit different for some reason. Maybe just me.
dathersmith 7 550 12 England
10 Apr 2012 11:35AM
I'm with Pete here Cole, show them what can be achieved on a few of the images and let them decide. I find they either go for B&W or Colour and tend to shy away from anything 'out of the ordinary' (in their opinion).

Darren.
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
10 Apr 2012 11:38AM
Cheers Darren.
monkeygrip 6 574 6 England
10 Apr 2012 12:12PM
I often shoot one or two shots with a cross process or an out of the ordinary effect in mind the couples are always surprised and comment on them a nice change.

I have still to be asked to produce a print of one of them, every couple is different but that might give you an indication of the interest Vs the actual usage of an image.

I find that couples will decide to fill their album with classic shots but you get more business if you have a portfolio of out of the ordinary images.

Don't ask me whyGrin
scottishphototours 10 2.6k 2 Scotland
10 Apr 2012 2:59PM
We're the only ones that think cross-processed pics look any good.

Joe Public hates them for the most part...so don't waste your time and do as Pete says!
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
10 Apr 2012 5:02PM
Straight shots from me too... creative lighting on the day maybe - but nothing quirky.

What looks cool in 2012 may not be so cool in 2053 when you're showing the grand kids the shots.... Wink
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
10 Apr 2012 7:50PM
I just love this weird idea of "pre-wedding" photographs.

Never heard that one before. The cynical side of me just suggests that it is some money-grabbing professional trying to con the happy couple out of even more money that would be better spent on a deposit for a house. or the solicitor's fees for a pre-nuptial agreement.

But then I thought - oh well, given that over 25% of marriages now seem to end up on the rocks, at least the not-so-happy couple will have evidence of happier times before they committed matrimony.

Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
10 Apr 2012 8:00PM
LOL.....
It is sort of a tradition (for Chinese anyway) for the couples to have their photos taken few months before the wedding, on location or in studio.
Then, they could have their favourite photos printed out to be distributed to friends and family on the wedding days.
I think it is more and more popular now in the UK as they can have their photos taken without all the stress on the wedding day.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
10 Apr 2012 8:32PM
I'm just waiting for my OM-D to arrive so I can set up as a post-divorce professional photographer! Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.