Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Presentation - does it make a difference?

Silver 8 77
10 Nov 2006 4:55PM
What I'm talking about are the pictures you see where people have added a frame, maybe a title and their name. Do you find that this improves a picture? If so, why?

I'm simply curious, as many shots on here seem to incorporate this, whilst many don't. Personally it makes no difference to me but evidently that's not the case with everyone. In my opinion a bad choice of frame can detract from an image. On the otherhand I think it's unlikely that someone would look at a picture and think "Well, it would be good if the tog had added a frame..."

Thoughts?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 11 39 6 Scotland
10 Nov 2006 5:05PM
Its all down to personal taste, some love them, some hate them. With my Graphic designer hat on I am a firm believer that a good photo can be made to look better with first class presentation and a poor photo, well its poor whatever you do with it. I love giving my shots a good title as many of my own ideas come from a title in the first place. I have always believed that no matter where you display your work a little time on the presentation will never go a miss just like that final check and touch up of any print regardless wither its paper or digital.

Victor
justin c 11 4.6k 36 England
10 Nov 2006 5:05PM
A good image still looks good without a frame or title.

A carefully selected frame/border and title can enhance an already good image and gives the impression the photographer takes pride in his work and cares about the final presentation.

A poorly selected frame/border and title can spoil a good shot.

A poorly selected frame/border and title makes a poor shot look even worse.

Putting the word 'study' at the end of a close up (usually because it's accidently uncomfortably too big in the frame)
just sounds plain daft,IMHO.
csurry 12 9.2k 92
10 Nov 2006 5:08PM
Personally use it because even with the 350Kb limit for 1000px images sometimes this is not enough to preserve all the details.

Therefore my images are in fact 850px with a large border. This allows me normally to save between 80% and 90% in save for web. I feel that this retains more quality. I could just post at 850px and not have a border I suppose. But as it is a PS action it doesn't add any time really to the processing for ePZ.

Cheryl
beaniebabe 9 2.3k England
10 Nov 2006 5:29PM
I do the same as Cheryl, image size 850pixels then when adding my border I tend just to use a small black and white, sometimes slightly bigger than others depending on image.

Angie x
GlynB 8 29
10 Nov 2006 5:39PM
Depends on the image. Think that the pale cyan background used in the gallery, PFs, well everywhere doesn't flatter images unless they have fairly uniform v.dark/v.light areas at the edge, so a bit of border seems to help the online presentation.
Also perhaps there's a perception (albeit maybe a subliminal one) among some people that bordered works have been given a bit more TLC (NB NOT my personal opinion, just guessing how others might think!)
Agree though that a badly done border can ruin even the best shot
cambirder 10 7.2k England
10 Nov 2006 5:48PM
A thin border sometimes help prevent the image bleeding into the background, anything else just steals pixcels from the image.
justin c 11 4.6k 36 England
10 Nov 2006 6:00PM

Quote:anything else just steals pixcels from the image.

Or adds pixels to the image,depending on your point of view.
Hazard 11 1.2k United Kingdom
10 Nov 2006 6:02PM

Quote:Presentation - does it make a difference?

Yes
monstersnowman 9 1.7k 1 England
10 Nov 2006 9:10PM
Personally when showing images I always show them with an overlay as it always improves the overall appearance of the image without any doubt, and I always feel that on a web site the minimum of a small black, white or similar border to make an image stand out & helps the overall appearance in the same way.
nikon5700ite 10 1.8k
11 Nov 2006 8:33AM
I have gone to the trouble of organising a full background colour [a grey] for the photograph to sit on instead of just the shot sitting there with horrible glarey white around it. Example

That to me is basic presentation/projection and you never let the projector shine on the screen. A monitor is a similar situation that you are letting the viewer see peak white.

I know people break this rule but it is just ignorance of basic presentation, or carelessness. Been guilty of that from time to time but I do make an effort to avoid doing so.
Skodster 8 902 Ireland
11 Nov 2006 8:53AM

Quote:I have gone to the trouble of organising a full background colour [a grey] for the photograph to sit on instead of just the shot sitting there with horrible glarey white around it.

This is the reason that I often provide a border. It means the photographer remains in control of the presentation.

Its the same reason why people use different colour mounts in a frame.
I like to see a photograph with a border, even if it's just a 2pixel black line around it.
It's a bit like food,
you go to a restaurant and if the food is nicely presented the whole experience is more enjoyable.

What irritates me (and this is just me) is a great big copryright notice, or text, added that is out of proportion to the picture and the border it sits in.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.