Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Press Passes

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    DAVIDZACHARY
    30 Jul 2012 - 8:46 PM

How would you be able to apply for press passes for sporting events ? What qualifications or requirement are needed ? WinkTongueSmileGrin

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    30 Jul 2012 - 8:46 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

losbarbados
    30 Jul 2012 - 9:58 PM

It really depends what sporting event you are thinking of

DAVIDZACHARY
    30 Jul 2012 - 10:01 PM

It will be in English Football Football or Rugby at top stadiums and events.

losbarbados
    30 Jul 2012 - 10:18 PM

The only thing I can suggest is aim lower to start with and work your way up.

The image rights of the top end professionals are closely guarded. It is doable but you need to be submitting pictures of local games to the local paper and hope for the best. Not sure where you are located, but lets say you are based in Sussex. You would be talking to Horsham town and submitting their pictures to the locals, then hop that the guy that covers Crawley Town goes on to other things, then do the same to work your way up to Brighton.

Same with rugby, you aren't going to get press accreditation for Twickenham without covering your local team first.

User_Removed
    30 Jul 2012 - 10:34 PM

Become a member of the NUJ.

Good luck.

nikonphotographer

Have a read of this,

http://www.kipax.com/licence.php

Not as easy as you may think, years ago I did some photography for the Wisden Cricket Monthly, (Back in the days on monochrome),as there Midlands photographer was taken ill, and with a covering letter from the magazine, I was able to get the necessary press passes from Edgbaston, New Road, and Trent Bridge, but not so easy with football, not when your talking top games like the Premiership, or anything to do with the FA.

BarrieNeilPhotography

I have a NUJ issued Press Card as does my partner. We've had them nearly 10 years. The only time I have ever "used" it was as identification when I picked up a parcel from a Royal Mail Sorting Office though it once nearly prevented me getting into Morocco, (they are very sensitive about the press) Smile

Getting accreditation to sporting events at professional level is extremely difficult and has been said, without the backing of a recognised publication or a well proven track record, I wouldn't waste your time trying.

Start small and grow. Quite frankly, you'll be way out of your depth at pro level sports without some background "training" in a less pressured environment. Smile

Focus_Man
    Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Jul 2012 - 10:27 AM

Without wishing to be downright cheeky, could you make yourself one on your PC?

A lot of these sort of events including golf have the menial tasks done by local club members or enthisiasts. These people have never seen a press pass so the production of a good looking one, complete with photograph may well suffice. I doubt it would fool football clubs who are well used to press passes being produced.

Do not for one minute think I am encouraging you to make one, but it could be fun.

Last Modified By Focus_Man at 31 Jul 2012 - 10:28 AM
    BarrieNeilPhotography

I sometimes think I'm invisible (queue the wags ) Grin- a press "pass" will not get you into a sporting event. Accreditation is required often months in advance.

A few years ago I was asked by the office of the President of the EU, to photograph him meeting the members of the Manchester United squad when they played the 'best of Europe XI' at Old Trafford (to mark 50 years of the EU). This involved being on the pitch and walking down the line with the President as he shook hands. I am still (as far as I know) the only photographer other than ManUs in-house photographer, ever to have been allowed to go onto the centre of the pitch at a match.

Even though the request was from the EU President's office, I had to get accreditation from ManU and the FA and it wasn't easy. I wasn't even allowed to stay on and shoot from the side-lines after - it was on the pitch and then straight off.

My point is it is extremely tough and for the right reasons.

On a serious note (and I know F_M was being tongue in cheek), official press cards in the UK are issued by the NUJ and other gatekeeper organisations in conjunction with the police. Any attempt to make a copy (especially in these times) would lead you into very serious trouble

Last Modified By BarrieNeilPhotography at 31 Jul 2012 - 10:47 AM
    nikonphotographer

Have a read here about press passes,

http://www.ukpresscardauthority.co.uk/

things changed after 1992 for getting one, I got mine years ago through working for local newspapers, but getting one really won't help you getting into top FA football matches .... you really need to start at the bottom going to local matches and work you way up, but it won't happen overnight.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.