Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Presume this is a scam?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    peter shilton
    29 Nov 2005 - 12:51 AM

I have a camera for sale on here (EPZ). I have today recived this email:
    Hi,

Someone has sent a response to the advert (Canon EOS 300D SLR) you placed on www.ephotozine.com/classifieds/

Their enquiry: DEAR SELLER,

I AM INTERESTED IN THE IMMEDIATE PURCHASE OF YOUR ITEM.I WILL LIKE YOU TO PROVIDE ME WITH THE CURRENT CONDITION OF THE ITEM AND THE PHOTO OF THE ITEM IF POSSIBLE.I WILL BE PAYING YOU VIA WESTERN UNION AUCTION PAYMENT MONEY ORDER WHERE YOUR MONEY WILL BE DELIVERED TO YOUR DOORSTEP.IF YOU AGREE WITH MY MODE OF PAYMENT I WILL LIKE YOU TO UPDATE ME WITH THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION SO THAT THE PAYMENT CAN BE MAILED TO YOU.I WILL NEED THE FOLLOWING;

1.THE FINAL ASKING PRICE OF THE ITEM (EXCLUDING SHIPPING COST)

2.YOUR FULL NAME

3.YOUR CONTACT ADDRESS

4.YOUR PHONE NUMBER

5.THE WEIGHT OF THE ITEM(LBS).

PLEASE BE INFORMED THAT I WILL BE ARRANGING FOR THE PICK OF THE ITEM MYSELF BY SENDING MY SHIPPINGAGENT(FEDEX) TO COME AND PICK UP THE ITEM AT YOUR LOCATION.SO GET BACK TO ME WITH THE INFORMATIONS SO THAT THE PAYMENT CAN BE MAILED OUT TO YOU AS SOON AS I HAVE THE INFORMATIONS.I HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU SHORTLY.

THANKS

SAM MIKE

Their email address: samueljone@gmail.com

I assume this is some kind of scam?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    29 Nov 2005 - 12:51 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mpbphotographic
    29 Nov 2005 - 12:54 AM

Yeh I'm afraid so. I got the same email myself about 5 minutes ago. A typical Nigerian scam doing the rounds.

Matt

UserDeleted
    29 Nov 2005 - 12:54 AM

Well done.

Yes it's a scam.

Was it the capitals, poor spelling, Western Union transfer, strange name, or gmail account that did it

Smile

Mike.

leedsgh
    leedsgh  10496 forum posts United Kingdom
    29 Nov 2005 - 1:26 AM

I got one of these emails from a Nigerian guy when I was selling my old Hyundai Coupe!

Yep 100% scam. Ignor.

Gav

lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014023 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Nov 2005 - 1:27 AM

Of course if we all replied with made up details we could keep the bugger busy for quite a while Smile

u08mcb
    u08mcb  105817 forum posts
    29 Nov 2005 - 2:08 AM

Fill a box with bricks and put its value at 10000 so he has to pay huge tax to receive it Smile

joolsb
    joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Nov 2005 - 2:15 AM

It's obviously a scam but I'm trying to work out how it works. OK, you have to give out contact info up front but there's nothing that the scammer couldn't get from the phone book. Presumably he never sends FedEx round to pick up the item and no funds are ever transferred so how does he potentially get his hands on your money?

Or am I missing something obvious here?

Paul_Barr
    Paul_Barr  9544 forum posts Scotland
    29 Nov 2005 - 2:21 AM

Scamorama is worth a look to see how folks get back at the scammers.

Paul

zeon2001_uk
    29 Nov 2005 - 2:29 AM

i had a similar thing awhile back. was selling some climbing gear. anyway i got a cheque for 12000 !!! then an email saying i should take out the cost of the goods then send him the rest of the money in a cheque as there had been a mistake. i assumed it was some kind of money laundering scam.

User_Removed
    29 Nov 2005 - 2:33 AM

I got my very first 414 e-mail yesterday from a Nigerian widow of a rich and powerful deceased general... Gave me a warm glow inside it did... She wanted to give me 40% of $30 Million, bless 'er.

MeanGreeny
    29 Nov 2005 - 2:40 AM

I would guess that it is only the first step in a well known story.

He will have a "problem" later which means giving you a larger sum of "guaranteed" money [fake bankers draft etc] which he can't convert or split up while you send back the same sum less the price of the goods [+ the goods].

It's a scam that means that he doesn't ask for your bank details [a step that usually rings warning bells] and you think is OK since you have a "cast iron, bulletproof bankers draft".

JohnHawthorne
    29 Nov 2005 - 2:40 AM

Apologies to those who have seen this already, but it is a classic and reading this give me more than just a warm fuzzy glow.

Hit back at the scammers:

Church of the Painted Breast

Kris_Dutson
    29 Nov 2005 - 2:48 AM

This one's pretty good too if you have the time to read it.

Mojave Desert Penguin Farmer

Kris.

raziel_uk
    raziel_uk  104929 forum posts
    29 Nov 2005 - 3:47 AM

Another varient on this is that you bank the cheque and a few days later you are told by the bank that you can "draw" on the cheque.

However, this doesn't mean that the cheque has been "cleared". If you draw money from that cheque it can still bounce and you will be left owing the bank the money.

So many people make this mistake and send off/hand over the item. Of course, a few days later the bank tells them that the cheque bounced.

This recently happened to a woman who sold a horse.

As I said many people enquire at the bank if the cheque has cleared and when the bank actually says "You can draw on the cheque" the person 'hears' "it's cleared."

Ashley

old timer
    old timer  1055 forum posts Scotland1 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Dec 2005 - 4:16 AM

I thought I was going to be sick laughing at the Mojave Desert Penguin Farmer!!! Smile))
    Jim

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.