Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Price Fixing

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    monstersnowman
    10 Oct 2011 - 10:54 PM

http://www.petapixel.com/2011/10/10/nikon-prices-may-increase-next-week-due-to-n...

Does this make Nikon very naughty or not? They claim it is to give customers confidence that when they are buying a Nikon product it is at the right price rather than having to hunt around BUT to me hunting for a deal is something I choose to do, I dont HAVE to do and their solution just gives me the confidence that IF I did move to the dark side from Canon I would be buying at the uniformly top price with no bargains to be had. Will it help smaller sellers, knowing that big volume sellers cannot undercut their price (tho the volume sellers still are getting a bigger profit). It seems the US will be the first to get this but it may not stop there.

Last Modified By monstersnowman at 10 Oct 2011 - 11:03 PM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    10 Oct 2011 - 10:54 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    11 Oct 2011 - 3:39 PM

RPM was outlawed in UK back in the 1970s.

There have been a number of Court cases where manufacturers and distributors have attempted to subvert the legislation, e.g. by covertly refusing to supply retailers who did not undertake to "fix" prices.

thewilliam
    11 Oct 2011 - 4:51 PM

Lots of things are illegal in this country but that doesn't mean that the authorities will do anything about it - unless the "crime" involves evasion of taxes!

Photogeek
    Photogeek  9605 forum posts Wales6 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Oct 2011 - 5:16 PM

Even (or possibly more appropriately especially) if it involves Evasion of Taxes . . . Philip Green the CEO of the Arcadia group manages to avoid paying 238 Million in taxes Sad

thewilliam
    11 Oct 2011 - 7:40 PM

Yes, but Philip is one of "Our People", who don't have to pay tax at all.

The best wheeze of all is Quantitive Easing, which is puts billions straight into the pockets of "Our People".

User_Removed
    12 Oct 2011 - 10:39 AM

Quote: Yes, but Philip is one of "Our People", who don't have to pay tax at all.

The best wheeze of all is Quantitive Easing, which is puts billions straight into the pockets of "Our People".

We are all in this together, don't you know?

Or at least I think that's what I heard the man say.

leftthesite
    13 Oct 2011 - 4:40 PM

I can attest to the fact that price fixing is very much alive here in the states. Nikon fixed their "fair Trade" prices, and the very next day every ad had the same exact prices. Since I was actively shopping for a new Nikon, I stopped at a few local stores and a few major retailers. All had the same price. I asked why, and was simply told that it was a across the board price increase.

This was a major plus for all retailers as it increased their profit margins, and made it more conducive to carry the full line. Of course it was an equally major loss for the consumer who would have to pay retail no matter who the bought from.

As usual, the consumer is the one who always pays in the end.

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62431 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    16 Oct 2011 - 8:32 PM

Quote: I can attest to the fact that price fixing is very much alive here in the states.

Not in the UK - http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/cat11.html

igknight
    igknight  230 forum posts United States
    3 Nov 2011 - 2:18 PM

I saw this before the 'increase' and bought a second D300s from Amazon to get their $200 off the normal price. After the precises were to go up, Amazon still had it at the price I got it. Doing a current search to see what they have the D300s for, they no longer have it, and everyone that sells it using Amazon have basically the same price.

Some of the flashes that Amazon has (SB900 and SB700) are still cheaper via Amazon than what they should be according to Nikon, and some of the lenses are too, but I have also seen some that I have been looking at no longer being carried by Amazon, unless they are out of stock and just not displaying they will carry it again.

I can understand why Nikon wants to do it. I hardly go to the local camera shop by me. Grant you, its about 45 minutes away and the traffic is crappy around it.
    1) I have to drive there
    2) their prices are higher
    3) I have free next day shipping with
    4) I have 6 months no financing with Amazon.

All Nikon did was eliminate the cheaper prices, makes me not want to go there more now as I have financing with Amazon.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.