Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Price for a new Nikon 50mm 1.8 D

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    cymroDan
    cymroDan  7174 forum posts
    4 Jan 2012 - 6:59 AM

Hi again, happy new year to you all.

I've been tempted by the lovely 1.8 50mm for my Nikon d50, the D version (opposed to the G or the very old version) is what I'm after. I've been following this on ebay, and seen that 70-90 seems to be the going price. I saw on wex that they have it new for just over 100. For the sake of 10 pounds, I think I'd prefer the security of buying new from a trusted source.

I'd just like to ask anyone with know-how of prices, or who've purchased one their self, whether the current price of 106 + 4.99 delivery on WEX is a good price? Is it likely to get cheaper, or is it likely somewhere might have an offer on it to bring it much lower? I appreciate this isn't an easy question to answer, but I thought I'd at least try and ask you kind guys for any opinions / knowledge.

Dan

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    4 Jan 2012 - 6:59 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saxon_image
    4 Jan 2012 - 8:20 AM

Well, Mifsuds have a mint second hand 1.8D at 99 and they are a reliable firm. So the WEX price is pretty reasonable - is 115 at Ffordes new and 112 at Park Cameras. TBH I'd avoid eBay when new prices are so close to second hand.

PhilScot
    PhilScot  8247 forum posts United Kingdom
    4 Jan 2012 - 8:23 AM

Try Amazon 101.80 with free delivery

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-50mm-F1-8D-Nikkor-Lens/dp/B00005LEN4/ref=sr_1_1?s=...

mikehit
    mikehit  46189 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Jan 2012 - 8:24 AM

It seems to be the going rate, though surprisingly it is cheaper at Jessops if you can collect from the store.

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod132.html

I read recently that Nikon is getting its Thailand production back on line so the prices may drop but it may be some time before costs drop to their earlier levels. I would just go for it.

cymroDan
    4 Jan 2012 - 5:37 PM

if anything goes wrong with the lens, where do you stand in situations where you bought it from a company, which was fulfilled by amazon? (such as the linked amazon one). It says amazon handles customer returns, would that be for 30 day based things, or for year long things does anyone know?

Thanks by the way for the replies. Amazon seems cheapest, but then a local jessops would be nice for convenience.

cymroDan
    4 Jan 2012 - 5:42 PM

Oh, seems it just went down to 99?

another point, does this add the concern of if it's a grey import etc, since you can't really do much research on the company I'm buying from? (well, I tried a few fruitless searches on google).

Last Modified By cymroDan at 4 Jan 2012 - 5:46 PM
    JudeC
    JudeC  7 England3 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Jan 2012 - 6:37 PM

My husband bought me the Nikon 50mm 1.8 for Christmas from Jacobs in Leeds for 106 - brand new.

cymroDan
    4 Jan 2012 - 6:39 PM

I'm just curious about the warranty etc if you buy it through one of the companies that amazon fulfil. At least with Jacobs or Jessops I've got a physical place I can go back to and make a fuss.

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62437 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    4 Jan 2012 - 8:57 PM

Does the D50 AF with a "D" (as distinct from AF-s) version of the lens?

cymroDan
    4 Jan 2012 - 11:49 PM

Yeah, D50 is one of the only ones of its range to have the AF motor Smile (if I understood your question correctly)

cymroDan
    8 Jan 2012 - 2:12 PM

If anyones interested, it seems the lens is getting cheaper as time goes on.. 93 on amazon now. Once again, anyone know where I'd stand in regards to warranty if I purchased from either amazon or one of their stores that amazon "fulfil"?

BigRick
    BigRick  82085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Jan 2012 - 6:17 PM

just buy one, and stop quibbling over a few quid. Sad

mikehit
    mikehit  46189 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Jan 2012 - 8:51 PM

If you bought through Amazon you would have a warranty, but you would have to return it through the company that took your money - Amazon or their associate is irrelevant in practice because you would still have to send it by post.
    Or send it direct to a recognised Nikon service agent.

I agree with Rick - just buy it. You said at the start that you are not worried about 10 and it is unlikely to drop any more than that.

cymroDan
    9 Jan 2012 - 6:48 AM

Thanks for feedback Smile and the quibbling wasn't so much about the price, more about waiting to find out where I'd stand if something went wrong post-purchase.

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62437 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    9 Jan 2012 - 9:06 AM

Quote: Thanks for feedback Smile and the quibbling wasn't so much about the price, more about waiting to find out where I'd stand if something went wrong post-purchase.

Try finding the seller "Global Bargains UK" as a separate entity on the web if you are worried Wink

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.