Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Price for publication in e-magazine

fraser 10 631 14 Scotland
8 Feb 2012 8:32AM
I have been contacted by a design company in Germany asking if they can use a couple of my photographs of the riverside museum in Glasgow. They would credit the photographs and have offered my a Flickr Pro account as payment. I am unlikey to use a Pro account as I hardly use my current ordinary account - I am also aware that the offer seems a bit mean. However, at this stage I am more keen to promote my photography than to earn a huge amount from such commissions and this seems like a good oppportunity for promotion.

I'd like to know your thoughts on the matter and what, under normal circumstances, would be a reasonable offer for the use of the photographs.

Thanks in advance

Fraser

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
8 Feb 2012 8:44AM
Fraser,

I run two e-magazines and make it very clear to contributors that I cannot pay for either articles or photographs because, quite simply, the magazines are free to browse and generate no income. In that sense, a Flickr Pro account might be better than nothing (although, like you, I would have no use for one).

On the other hand, if the particular magazine has a revenue generation potential, than maybe they should be paying. But remember that they can get royalty-free images of just about any subject for pennies from the millions lodged in image libraries.

Edit: Just had a look at Alamy. They have loads of images of Glasgow Riverside Museum available for 5 for web use. Maybe use that as a guide.

8 Feb 2012 8:51AM
Ta very for your response. I must admit I tend to agree with you. Although this magazine is commissioned by a big furniture design company who seem to have quite a few high profile projects and are not short of a penny or two I take your point about free images; the value of the credits on the magazine may well be worth more than anything they would offer to pay. Now, what would be a useable alternative to a Flickr Pro account (I already have my owne website)?
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
8 Feb 2012 8:57AM
I personally think credit bylines are a poor substitute for hard cash, to the extent that I don't particularly care if my pictures are credited or not. High profile competitions and the like might be a different thing and be worth a punt, but random photo credits and half-baked promises are the typical bait of freeloaders.
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
8 Feb 2012 9:56AM
If the Mag is only published in Germany - will it help you being credited?
If the credit now seems less of little value to you I'd initially ask for them to paypal email you 50-100 Euro's for each image on the basis that if you don't ask you don't get, and the flickr account will expire in a year forcing you to pay to see your own images if you have used it.
8 Feb 2012 2:14PM
The mag is published worldwide in English and the company has global connections, so the distribution is pretty good.
8 Feb 2012 2:24PM
Jack, thanks for your suggestion. I have made the offer to the mag. I'll let you know how I get on.
8 Feb 2012 5:47PM
I've proposed charges for each photograph at the low end of Jack's suggestion and the contact says it should be OK. He's off to check with his client.
losbarbados 5 236 United Kingdom
9 Feb 2012 9:01AM
I see you have come to a satisfactory conclusion, but I wouldn't have discounted the flickr pro account quite so readily.
It would have given you a secure back up of your high res images, and if you have a bespoke site you will have an area to store the images that you link to in your gallery.

I know it's probably teaching grandmothers to suck eggs, but if someone is just starting out it is worth pointing out the benefits of these on-line repositories.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.