Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Prices up again

WalidD300 6 68 1 Scotland
25 Feb 2009 4:20PM
There is a rumour that Nikon and Canon prices are going up as of 1/03/2009.

I think they are losing the plot as nobody has more money to spend with the current financial situation not just here in the UK but globally.

Well good luck to you both Nikon and Canon.

So, is anybody going to buy anything in the near future I mean after 01/03/2009

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

csurry
12 9.2k 92
25 Feb 2009 4:29PM
It's nothing to do with losing the plot it's to do with exchange rates and basic economics.

The UK and European offices have very little choice in the matter of the price rises.

I think if you talked to any of the staff at Focus they realised that short-term it may not be the best move, but what else could be done? Costs at the factory gate are rising and the exchange rates are also affecting various markets.
colin beeley e2
12 1.1k 10 England
25 Feb 2009 5:12PM
don't fall for that load of bull, they still make plenty.
csurry
12 9.2k 92
25 Feb 2009 5:15PM
But every company is entitled to keep it's margins if it can.

If they find people aren't buying maybe they'll drop the prices again, but I wouldn't hold your breath.
strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
25 Feb 2009 5:25PM
They may well make a good profit, but to make cameras you need to in order to cover the investments costs. As an acid test, convert the UK price from 6 months ago at 6 months ago exchange rate to Yen. Then do it again with the new prices at the new exchange rate. Are they making any extra money???

Also there is the good old supply and demand curve to balance plus the profit per unit equation. If sales are down you need to charge more per device to cover the running costs.

And anyway cameras are a luxury item, so why not charge what you can?

Strangely with the exception of Bosch, I cannot think of a big company that does not desire to make as big a profit as possible. And even then the charitable foundation likes to make money to give away.

Just wait a while the Yen will collapse, the pound may well struggle back up a bit.
They must still be selling at the prices or they would have to reduce production or reduce price.
I was all set to buy the d300 but i had to do a lot of convincing my self to spend 900 now its a 1000 i have drawn back a bit, serves me right for not getting at 900 when i had chance.
strawman e2
25 Feb 2009 5:34PM
If you read the trade press then you will see that they have cut production, so that too will push prices up. Plus some of the newer cameras like D700 or 5D MKII have had a pile of people waiting to buy so prices can go up easily.

At the more entry level it could get interesting.
colin beeley e2
12 1.1k 10 England
25 Feb 2009 5:35PM
well there you go thats why they put up prices. don't buy they will discount. we have always paid top price here anyway .
strawman e2
25 Feb 2009 5:44PM
I think there is a change in all of this condition that people have not recognised.

If there is stock, then discounting could well apply, but people have been running stock down for a while. Now a days the manufacturing lead times are quite short, and there is a price below which, you are better off not bothering to make units. This is different to the past economics.

So yes there is a certain level of give a discount to get sales, but modern electronics goods are run at tight profit margins.

The reason in my view why this has hit so hard is that manufacturing has responded rapidly in terms of laying off etc and that has accelerated the down turn. So now to start manufacturing you have to cover the same old factory costs, but on lower volume. And people will only manufacture if it is a better return than not.
Leif e2
9 722
25 Feb 2009 5:51PM
If you see the news headlines you'll see that Japnese exports are down roughly 50%. That is no doubt due to a loss of consumer buying power combined with increased prices due to an unfavourable exchange rate. The pound sterling has plummetted. On the bright side, our export industry will make a mint due to being more competitive. Our economy will benefit.
colin beeley e2
12 1.1k 10 England
25 Feb 2009 6:00PM
do we make anything anymore ?
strawman e2
25 Feb 2009 6:11PM
Yes, but not as much as in the past.
colin beeley e2
12 1.1k 10 England
25 Feb 2009 7:05PM
that will hold us back.
Leif e2
9 722
25 Feb 2009 11:10PM

Quote:Do we make anything anymore ?

We have a lot of service industries, including financial services (ha ha), as well as software and other high tech products. Oh and tourism is quite a nice earner, and that will increase. So look out for more foreign tourists.
strawman e2
25 Feb 2009 11:14PM
I have already taken advantage of the slump in business property prices to set up some call centres to address the Indian market.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.