Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Pricing

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    25 May 2013 - 4:01 PM

I have been invited to set up my studio lighting in a private event in London, which would have over 90 participants. As it is a special event, I have said yes.
    I could charge for either prints or digi files to the people who wish to have their portraits taken. I am not too bother about making much profit, as long as I could cover my own expenses, anything else is bonus. I plan to shoot tethered so that I could show them the shots immediately and take the orders at the same time.
    I might either just sell the digil files (no really extra cost to me) or just 16/18 inches prints. I am just trying to see what people would recommend me to charge.
    Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated.
    Cheers.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    25 May 2013 - 4:01 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Chrism8
    Chrism8  7744 forum posts England13 Constructive Critique Points
    25 May 2013 - 4:11 PM

My suggestion would be a straight 5 for the digi image as a Jpeg, nice easy round figure, pitch any more and they may baulk at say 10, other figures will involve loads of change.

I've some experience at selling Shooting images recently and imo this works

scottishphototours

OK, here goes:

- People will no buy digi files
    - People will not buy 16/18 inch prints
    - You will need you and an assistant to work the laptop and show people while you shoot
    - People won't order to buy later - they will want to see and buy then and they will want it in a protective folder and a protective bag
    - They certainly won't buy from your website after it either. so forget that too

But on the bright side:

- They will buy a print straight from the shoot there and then
    - They will buy at around 10x8 inch or smaller
    - They will buy if at the right price, but as you're not interested in making much of a profit, charge 1 each for the prints and you're still in 75% profit margin category

Just my experience, take it or leave it...

collywobles
    25 May 2013 - 5:04 PM

I have attended a number of events similar to what you describe (mainly Masonic Ladies Evenings) and the charges that I can remember were 12 for an 8X6 print in a card folder. I did not see a great response from people but they did sell some prints and only assume costs were covered.

puertouk
    puertouk  21063 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    26 May 2013 - 10:57 AM

1 per print! You're having a laugh aren't you. Where's the profit at 1 per print? The ink and paper alone will take how much from the profit? Then there's the rent to cover. I would not be doing prints on the spot. What happens if you have a problem with the printer? Put the image(s) on a CD for 6.50 or offer a printing service, say with Whitewall. Have a list of the type of print they can have and charge them accordingly. It shows that you are professional by using a company like Whitewall.

LensYews
    LensYews  51300 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Jun 2013 - 1:52 AM

Coming to this late, so this may have already happened, but I'd suggest you do need an assistant who can draw people in, manage a queue and sell images to those who are wavering. To make anything from it you need to print on the night, which means a sub-dye so 7x5, 9x6 or 12x8 usually - you can rent one from system insight if you can't borrow one. You'll need public liability insurance, pat tested equipment, etc. 90 people doesn't sound many, and you can probably only expect interest from a maximum of 60%. So pricing will depend very much on your costs and your business model, as a guestimate, costs: travel 50, event contribution 20, assistant 40, printer rental 130, electricity rental 10, printing costs 36, 50 slip-in strut mounts & bags 60, other fixed & variable costs, etc. As for pricing you'll probably get 20 sales, so assuming you're selling 9x6 images, 400 costs divided by 20 gives you 20 per image, and from there adjust up by what ever profit you want to make.

People will accept technically difficulties like printer breakdowns, a backup plan might be to take envelopes with you, have the customer write their name and address on the envelope and put the order form (get a contact number on the form just in case of a mix up), after confirming the image number with them in the envelope. Makes your life easier dealing with prints after the event.

tip: if its a light hearted crowd and there's a bar, take a box of props, hats, feather scarfs, that kind of thing. You'll get people keep coming back to dress up and have new photos in different costumes.

ade_mcfade
    ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014778 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Jun 2013 - 10:01 AM

Quote: OK, here goes:

- People will no buy digi files
    - People will not buy 16/18 inch prints
    - You will need you and an assistant to work the laptop and show people while you shoot
    - People won't order to buy later - they will want to see and buy then and they will want it in a protective folder and a protective bag
    - They certainly won't buy from your website after it either. so forget that too

But on the bright side:

- They will buy a print straight from the shoot there and then
    - They will buy at around 10x8 inch or smaller
    - They will buy if at the right price, but as you're not interested in making much of a profit, charge 1 each for the prints and you're still in 75% profit margin category

Just my experience, take it or leave it...

best advice you can get Smile

I've had exactly the same experience - though only really done it a couple of times, not really my thing.

the main thing I learned is that people never never never ever buy after the event.... even for charity. I offered to do a profit split for a charity I liked... the prints were pretty cheap too.

you can shove the gallery down their throat on email/facebook etc. but they will maybe look at the gallery, but never click the "buy print" button.

get them when they're pissed - get their money there and then.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.