Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Pricing An Online Photograhpy Job

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

rhowbust
rhowbust  3 United Kingdom
11 Jul 2011 - 11:24 AM

Hi

I am looking for some guidlines on how much I should charge for my first paid job as a photographer.
It is for a new website which sells floral arrangements.
The job is to take place local to me and I will be expected to shoot 45 - 50 items in one full day.
The images will be used on the clients website for 1 plus years.

Could anyone help me out with a rough guide as to how much I should be charging.

Thanks
Rhowena

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 Jul 2011 - 11:24 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jul 2011 - 11:58 AM

Check out the " Pack Shots " websites, As the answer is almost " How Long Is A Piece Of String.." !!!

If your still stuck, Just ask yourself how much your time/skill/knowledge is worth per hour, Then go from there....Grin

jken
jken  81672 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jul 2011 - 8:44 PM

You're hourly rate + Travel + Editing + final disk, you own the copyright.

600 a day would give you 75 an hour working on an eight hour day.
As it's your first paid job at 75 an hour you're not taking work away from seasoned pros.

Last Modified By jken at 11 Jul 2011 - 8:45 PM
TimJ
TimJ  10482 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jul 2011 - 9:46 PM

As John says, it's basically whatever value you put on your time (plus expenses of course). When you first start out in any business most people don't feel confidence to charge 'the going rate' perhaps because of confidence or because you feel like you're getting experience in return.

What I would say is don't forget to take into account the time it takes to process the images, etc. You don't want to undercharge because you'll feel great when you get the gig and then regret it when you actually do the job and realise you didn't charge enough or it was more work than you first thought.

Personally I think the most important thing is for you to feel comfortable with the amount you charge.

Although I haven't exactly answered your question, I hope it provides food for thought.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014805 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jul 2011 - 10:17 PM

Pricing is a nightmare - go in "low" and get the job, or go in "normal" and get undercut, seems to be how its working up here at the moment... someone quoted about 400 for 40 corporate (law firm) portraits which I bid far more on. I found out cause a friend was at the firm...

I'm not sure how they came to that figure really - maybe they set everything up so they don't have to do any Post processing? Cut costs that way. I've been doing more thethered shoots using C1 and styles, so the clients can see the shots on your monitor and tell you whether they like what they see... speeds things up.

rhowbust
12 Jul 2011 - 12:37 PM

Thanks for your comments everyone. it's been really helpful. I went for a quote of 650 in the end and have been asked to come down a bit. The client has now specified what their budget is and we are now disscussing terms that will suite us both.

Thanks for your support! And wish me luck. Smile

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014805 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jul 2011 - 12:49 PM

I sometimes wish they'd just tell you their budget.... be a hell of a lot easier! Wink

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022999 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jul 2011 - 12:50 PM

Quote: The client has now specified what their budget is

is he/she mad?

rhowbust
12 Jul 2011 - 2:17 PM

Yes it would easier for us if they did that from the off. But then they wouldn't always get the best price and always be paying at the top of what they can afford.
however if negociations can be engaged that is encouraging.

SilverPaul
12 Jul 2011 - 3:08 PM

I ALWAYS ask a client what their budget is, then we don't have to **** about working out that they can't afford me...

ade_mcfade
13 Jul 2011 - 12:07 AM

Quote: I ALWAYS ask a client what their budget is, then we don't have to **** about working out that they can't afford me...

do they ever tell you?

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139420 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jul 2011 - 12:55 AM

Bear in mind they could get pretty pics of flowers from a microstock agency................ for pennies! Wink

rhowbust
13 Jul 2011 - 9:45 AM

This is a bit different, they are selling their own products, and need images of the products they are selling, so a stock library wouldn't be any good.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139420 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jul 2011 - 12:11 PM

So their flowers are quite unique then? Wink

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 73342 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jul 2011 - 12:14 PM

Quote: So their flowers are quite unique then? Wink

Probably not, but the way they are used in arrangements will be.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.