Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Pricing Query

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

50% OFF new PortraitPro 12, plus EXTRA 5% OFF code EPHZROS414
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    whipspeed
    whipspeed e2 Member 94035 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Apr 2009 - 1:48 PM

I had a very nice email today from a large city council. They are interested in up to 4 images from my website for a citywide poster campaign.
    Here is the rub though, they apparently have a problem making payments and would like the images for free.
    Now I have no problem supplying cycling clubs with low resolution images for their websites FOC for a credit and link as it increases site traffic and sales and it gives something back to the sport I enjoy. But surely a city council would have a budget and I'm quite sure the staff running this project don't work for free. So, what sort of rates would a poster campaign get? It's not something I've done before, so any help would be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    28 Apr 2009 - 1:48 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JamesBurns
    28 Apr 2009 - 2:00 PM

Quote: I had a very nice email today from a large city council.

Everybody is nice when they want something for nothing.

Quote: Here is the rub though, they apparently have a problem making payments and would like the images for free...

Thank you for your enquiry. I'm very sorry to hear that you are currently having problems making payments, but I'm sure that you can appreciate, I'm trying to make the most of my images and I'm afraid that it is not possible to supply them to you for free

Depending on how much you want the money, or how stubborn you want to be, you can either just ship them off, or try to offer some form of incentive to get them to pay up. You might try something along the lines of:

I appreciate that times are tight for everyone right now, so as a sign of good faith I'm willing to offer the following deal. If you're willing to licence two of the images at the normal rate of xxx, then I'd be happy to include a further two for free...

As for cost, it's going to be one of those how big/how many/whereabouts kinda questions... Anywhere between 50 and 5000 (or any other numbers that someone could pluck out of the air)... If they're completely hard up, or just incredibly tight, then they'll balk at it anyway. If not, then they may negotiate.

Oh, and don't forget, you're only licencing the image to them for a specific time/useage. Make sure that you tie that down if they do buy, so that your images don't keep cropping up for the rest of forever... Wink

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    looboss
    looboss  73124 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Apr 2009 - 2:06 PM

Quote: I had a very nice email today from a large city council. They are interested in up to 4 images from my website for a citywide poster campaign.
    Here is the rub though, they apparently have a problem making payments and would like the images for free.
    Now I have no problem supplying cycling clubs with low resolution images for their websites FOC for a credit and link as it increases site traffic and sales and it gives something back to the sport I enjoy. But surely a city council would have a budget and I'm quite sure the staff running this project don't work for free. So, what sort of rates would a poster campaign get? It's not something I've done before, so any help would be gratefully received.

Nice one a problem making payment, I shall remember this when I next come to pay my council tax bill and ask nicely if I can have all the services for free! Smile They got some front haven't they?

I would write to them and say you will only charge them a nominal sum to be billed at end of the year, and then come back with a pay per view per citizen after the campaign has run! LOL!
    that will teach them to over tax us LOL!

whipspeed
    whipspeed e2 Member 94035 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Apr 2009 - 2:06 PM

Thanks James, that is very helpful, I'm being stubborn on this one as it really isn't right that they should expect photographers to work for nothing, it's not as if we don't have costs, we have to get out to events, buy equipment and then there are the hours of admin work. It's not as if this is a small town council either.

Not my council unfortunately or I would put that in Smile

Last Modified By whipspeed at 28 Apr 2009 - 2:07 PM
    whipspeed
    28 Apr 2009 - 3:45 PM

Well, email sent, so I'll await their reply. Won't hold my breath though Grin

yellowmunky
    3 May 2009 - 2:32 AM

It's funny; folk tend to forget that we use equipment that's paid for; often running into thousands, and we use or artistic interpretation or skill-set or years of training/learning etc... then they say they want something for free... and it's the council!!!

trouble making payments??? I'd reply by saying you have trouble accepting no fee... i loathe liberty takers...

whipspeed
    3 May 2009 - 9:44 AM

Michael, that is just the discussion I had with a journalist from the local paper who was disappointed that I wouldn't just give them shots that they could use again and again, and from previous experience without putting credit on them etc, he couldn't understand why I wouldn't supply them. I went through my equipment list, my costs for travelling to the races and the time spent processing images on a computer I had to buy and the money I paid out for my website, then said, could you do them for free? "Oh", he said, end of conversation Smile My husband also made exactly the same comments about the council that you have Smile

Anyway, council have not replied to my email, so that's the end of that. I'm sure they will find a mug somewhere that will just give away work to them, but it's not me.

I'll keep working for those who appreciate what photographers do.

Last Modified By whipspeed at 3 May 2009 - 9:45 AM
    yellowmunky
    3 May 2009 - 10:10 AM

Exactly, Sarah. We can't just go round 'handing over work' for nothing without some level of back scratching at the least. Don't get me wrong, I've 'given' work away for free on the odd occasion, but it's been times where I ensure proper credit is given or some kind of exposure that will work properly for me, even if it's for a charity... it's all about what happens at the end product in such cases... For most of the time though, I just refuse to hand out work for free. If people are cheeky enough to request images for free, then we should be cheeky enough to ask for something in return... it's simple maths, and a good measure of your own self belief as a photographer...

richard00
    richard00  7504 forum posts1 Constructive Critique Points
    3 May 2009 - 10:30 AM

Supplied 3 images to my local council last year for a similar type of thing - didn't have any problem getting paid. Sounds like they were trying to take you for a ride..

whipspeed
    3 May 2009 - 12:11 PM

You are right Michael, I've also given work away FOC. Generally to cycling clubs as I feel I'm giving something back to the sport and also to charities (but without fail they always give a credit for the work and a link back to my site). But a major city council, who "have problems paying" I don't think so.
    Richard - Well done, glad they paid you.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.