Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Prime lens for Nikon D7100:

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    aditya11
    aditya11  1
    26 Mar 2013 - 4:09 PM

Dear all,

I'm looking for a prime lens for my Nikon D7100. What should I get. Either the Nikon 50mm f/1.8G AF-S or the Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Nikkor Lens?

The Nikon 50 MM is made for FX Cameras but it can work for DX cameras like my D7100.

What would you recommend?

Thank you.

Last Modified By aditya11 at 26 Mar 2013 - 4:10 PM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    26 Mar 2013 - 4:09 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Newdevonian
    26 Mar 2013 - 5:22 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_lens
    Following this logic the 35mm would equate more as a standard lens.

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62460 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    26 Mar 2013 - 6:09 PM

The answer depends in part on your budget and much more on what angle of view you want.
    In Nikon's official MTF the 35mm performs slightly better at f1.8 than the DX crop on the 50mm, but not by enough to make a difference over 98% of the time.
    On a DX body 35mm is a "standard" angle of view and 50mm is a moderate telephoto.
    Nikon make primes with a new UK street price between 110 and about 15,000.

thewilliam
    26 Mar 2013 - 7:02 PM

The 35mm and 50mm f1.8 primes represent very good value for money. The performance of the two lenses is close enough that only a techie will be able to tell the difference. Choose by angle of view. Look at the metadata for your favourite shots and then you'll know which to get first.

kiwipro
    kiwipro  1
    26 Apr 2013 - 8:09 AM

It really depends on what type of photos you want to take and I agree with thewilliam above that they are both great value for money. Yes the angle of view is key. Generally, as a Pro photographer, I can recommend that you consider the 50mm first in preference to the 35mm DX. This is because it will encourage you to get closer to your subject. I have recently purchased a D7100 as a backup camera for studio work and as a lite weight Portrait and Street camera and I am currently testing it with the 50mm AFS 1.8. So far I am very impressed and I love the extra 1.3 crop factor provided in the camera, to me this is a stunning new feature especially for Wild Life and Landscape. With the 50mm lens the 1.3 crop factor allows you to quickly select either 75mm or 97mm equivalent - perfect for the close Portrait range.
    Generally to complement a Portrait lens you are better to have a slightly wider lens than one in the standard range of 50mm equivalent therefore consider something for general use that will give you something closer to 35mm equivalent. This can be hard to find in Primes for DX format as you will need perhaps a 20 or 24mm x the 1.5 crop factor. However that's the great advantage of Nikon there are generally plenty of good clean used lenses on the market. I suggest you perhaps try a couple in your local camera store and compare the angle of view with the 35mm and see what you think.
    I know Ken Rockwell loves his 35mm DX 1.8 and that is a very compelling recommendation he effectively uses that lens as a slightly wider Portrait lens and that is also a great use for it and he will move in close as he needs to, it's just a question of how you want to use it.
    Thanks for asking it's a good question and there is not really a correct answer so good luck with your choice whatever you decide you have great kit!

aditya11
    aditya11  1
    27 Apr 2013 - 8:02 AM

Thanks to all for your help!

sigmasd14
    sigmasd14  3 United Kingdom
    28 Apr 2013 - 7:47 AM

I'd look for a used 35mm f1.4 G Wink

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.